Assume v. Presume

<sigh>

According to another Breakfast interviewee, something "pales into comparison". I guess it's the early hour.

Me too - I learned the rule a long time ago but did spot it recently in one of the excellent books by Lynne Truss.

I disagreed with a lot of what she said. I prefer a logical approach.

Plenty of place names have bits that aren't pronounced. So they shouldn't put them on signs either. Reductio ad absurdum - go entirely phonetic; the American tourists would like it. Gloster, Lester, Lufbrer (or would it be Luffbrer?).
Borough is not pronounced "brer" though, or it shouldn't be... any more than police is pronounced "pleece", but lots do that wrongly.
There is an O in both of them which should be sounded.

Borough is not pronounced "brer" though, or it shouldn't be... any more than police is pronounced "pleece", but lots do that wrongly.

In what country? pəˈliːs and ˈbʌrə, surely, but not Polees or borer.

(Roughly Perlees and burer)

Alternatively there is Middlesbrough which is abbreviated to 'boro. :)

And then there's Edinburgh which, as far as I know, has more letters in it when pronounced than when written (an exception to the norm). Any others?

And then there's Edinburgh which, as far as I know, has more letters in it when pronounced than when written (an exception to the norm). Any others?

Edinburgh, pronounced Dùn Èideann?

I just discovered that both borough and burgh are derived from burh, which sort of explains the pronunciation.

Alternatively there is Middlesbrough which is abbreviated to 'boro. :)

And Brough in Cumbria, which is not pronounced bʌrə like most other broughs/burghs/boroughs, but as Bruff.

Cirencester has had an interesting history of pronunciation and runs against the Worcester/Gloucester mould.

Returning to a previous theme, why do we say Beijing instead of Peking, but not Zhōngguó instead of China? Why not Bharat, too, when we changed Bombay to Mumbai?

I know, I would rather stick with Bombay and Peking. We don't say "Paree", and the French have their own name for London.

I know, I would rather stick with Bombay and Peking. We don't say "Paree", and the French have their own name for London.

Londres is one of France's bigger cities. Its sixth biggest, in fact, with a French population of some 300,000--400,000.

• Paris - 2.3m
  • Marseille - 859,000
  • Lyon - 488,000
  • Toulouse - 447,000
  • Nice - 344,000
  • Londres - 300,000

And what's wrong with that? Everyone knows that a superlative is better than the best.:frantic:

Wiki here
Example of superlative: "she is [the] most beautiful [of all the women here tonight}]".
Simply put the word 'superlative' is defined as
  • (a noun) an exaggerated mode of expression (usually of praise): "the critics lavished superlatives on it";
  • (an adjective) the greatest: the highest in quality;
  • the superlative form of an adjective: "best" is the superlative form of "good", "most" when used together with an adjective or adverb.

Back