Assume v. Presume

Random thought for Sunday:

How do you spell (for example) "H"? All the Greek letters have English spellings (alpha, beta, gamma, delta etc), but we never seem to spell out the English alphabet. I think the difference is that we have English names for the Greek letters, it might be rather different trying to spell the Greek letter sounds in Greek.

Do foreign languages (particularly those that do not use the Latin alphabet) have names for English letters? Why do we not have names for our letters separate from the sounds?

Aitch North and South.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/English_alphabet#Letter_names

I was once told by a Greek that our spellings and pronunciations of the Greek alphabet were all wrong.

Greek alphabet (Modern pronunciation)

greek_ltr.gif

Heard someone on the Today programme say that the Snowden leaks were considered by the US as far more damaging than the Wikipedia ones.

Unalienable or inalienable? God has decreed there are no true synonyms, so what subtle difference is there?

So it was a trick question then. It did cross my mind there might be a distinction in their definition.

Not a trick question, I only just found the distinction myself, but doubt if anyone observes it.

I would have guessed they were alternative variants and exact synonyms.

Back