Assume v. Presume

It's still French though, so that makes it pretentious.

Is it just French we object to (Now there's another entire thread right there....) or the slipping in of any other language?...

Vert is also Latin as far as I can google - means "to turn" - is there a cheap gag in there somewhere??

[EDIT - just re-read this - Vert is Trev turned around which results in a word which means to turn - cosmic maaaaan]

But apparently "Wa" is used in Japanese - and just to clarify I don't have anything against Japan (and yes I know how close I'm getting to "unfortunately Mr Spigot, neither do you")

Use of language other than the lingua franca (excluding phrases adopted into the lexicon) shall be assigned a Linguistic Pretentiousness Quotient on the FMRL scale defined by the following formula:

P = (1-F^2) * f​

where f is a measure of the speaker's/writer's fluency in the local language in the range 0 to 1, and F is the speaker's/writer's fluency in the foreign language.

This counterpoints the Linguistic Gratuitousness Quotient, defined as:

G = f * F^2​

Use of language other than the lingua franca (excluding phrases adopted into the corpus) shall be assigned a Linguistic Pretentiousness Quotient on the FMRL scale defined by the following formula:

P = (1-F^2) * f​

where f is a measure of the speaker's/writer's fluency in the local language in the range 0 to 1, and F is the speaker's/writer's fluency in the foreign language.

This counterpoints the Linguistic Gratuitousness Quotient, defined as G = f * F^2.

Quelle surprise!

Surely mentioning lingua franca has a high Liguistic Prententiousness Quotient too? Possibly further multiplied by the use of italics and parenthesis.

Excellent, so if I post in German then I get a big fat zero on the LPQ scale, regardless of my questionable fluency in English : )..

Ich fahre jetzt nach Hause weil ich noch nicht beschäftigt bin! Bis später...

True, I do usually get accused of being terse rather than gratuitous!
I really am going home now.

[EDIT - corrected use of capitals to appease the Head Master, or is that Headmaster, or Hm or HM?]

This came up a few months ago, when some text I was editing referred to "headteacher" (all one word). This is not (yet) in the dictionary (no doubt it will be in the future), indeed the iOS spell checker just objected to my typing, but it can be found on school signs and stationery. I decided to insist on "head teacher", but "headmaster" or "headmistress" are in common currency would have been acceptable.

The following quote is from another thread, but I thought that it seemed quite appropriate here.:D:p
There are upload tools under the edit window, once uploaded you have options to include a full image or just a thumbnail in the post. This is not an invitation for people to attach large images gratuitously!
See post #156 ;):rolleyes:

Back