Decryption

deckard_3pwood

Hi,
I have been using the custom firmware on my HDR-FOX T2 for years now but recently upgrade the hard drive to 2TB. However now when I transfer recorded videos over my LAN network to my PC the files will not play, I guess this is because they are encrypted. Before I upgraded the hard drive it transferred and played recorded video files fine. The first time I setup the custom firmware it was years ago and I have no idea how I enabled this to work. I have tried things suggested on the wiki help page but have had no success, any help would be appreciated.
p.s. I have also tried using the decryption function in the webapp but even though the file has a logo next to it (a green d) the file still does not play on my PC.

I suspect you have simply allowed the setting Menu >> Settings >> System >> Internet Setting >> Content Share to have turned itself off (which would prevent CF-mediated hardware post-decryption). This happens of its own accord from time to time, and can be mitigated using the boot-settings package.

However, for a more detailed description of what you should have done, see HDR-FOX HDD Replacement. In this instance, Rescuing Recordings from a Dead HDR-FOX might also be of interest.

Last edited:
I have also tried using the decryption function in the webapp but even though the file has a logo next to it (a green d) the file still does not play on my PC.
"webapp"? I presume you mean what we call the Web Interface (or WebIF for short). The "green d" is actually a green "Dec" icon, and if that's the case why the recording won't play off the box is a mystery (I presume it plays on the box?).

"webapp"? I presume you mean what we call the Web Interface (or WebIF for short). The "green d" is actually a green "Dec" icon, and if that's the case why the recording won't play off the box is a mystery (I presume it plays on the box?).
Hi @Black Hole and @MymsMan, thank you for your help and quick replies, sorry I have taken awhile to respond.

@Black Hole
Content Share is enabled. see picture.

I've read through the article you linked (RE HDR-FOX HDD Replacement) but I have done everything inline with what it says.

Yes sorry I mean WebIF, yes I meant Dec. The recordings play when using the Humax box but not when I play it over the network via other devices/TVs connected to the network or via my PC. I can see the files on these devices.

@MymsMan sorry yes green Dec..
See picture 2 for how it looks on the WebIF:

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2023-06-19 at 13.12.02.jpg
    WhatsApp Image 2023-06-19 at 13.12.02.jpg
    124.3 KB · Views: 12
  • Screenshot 2023-06-19 131829.png
    Screenshot 2023-06-19 131829.png
    183.9 KB · Views: 13
The recordings play when using the Humax box but not when I play it over the network via other devices/TVs connected to the network or via my PC.
What Video player are you trying? Not all can handle the m2ts format files created by the Humax, VLC can

Have you trying playing the recordings on your PC with VLC without transferring them first.
Either using the Play option of webif or the universal plug and play option of VLC
1687181418541.png
1687181490117.png

Last edited:
thanks @MymsMan, this is weird...
so playing it through the WebIF interface it works.
Downloading from the WebIF interface it works.
But when I browse the Humax with windows explorer and copy the file from the Humax box onto my PC hard drive and then play it, the recording does not work?
This process worked before I changed the hard drive and update the firmware.
I'm using VLC to play the video files

But when I browse the Humax with windows explorer and copy the file from the Humax box onto my PC hard drive and then play it, the recording does not work?
So it is encrypted despite what the Dec icon suggests. The other methods you describe decrypt on the fly.

As an aside: turn off the crappy Humax FTP server and use the betaftpd package. If you have betaftpd installed already, you shouldn't have the standard server turned on at all.

Can you suggest a way this can be fixed then? I feel like going back to the older firmware that I used on the previous hard drive.

I feel like going back to the older firmware that I used on the previous hard drive.
That won't help!

The 3.13 firmware has been current for over 5 years now and has been very reliable, the firmware does not get involved in decryption which is handled by the webif package

How many recordings does this affect? All of them, or just new ones?

Your description of how you got to where you are is rather vague and we're just guessing really. Explain, precisely, what the situation was before you changed the HDD, then step by step what you did when you changed the HDD.

Can you suggest a way this can be fixed then?

You could try running the fixencflags diagnostics on the webif diagnostics page - this would correct any incorrect Dec flags

Also could you set logging to Debuging on the Settings page
1687203492628.png
and then select a recording and Queue for Decrypt (at bottom of Browse page) and post the section of auto,log showing the decryption results.

To automatically decrypt all recordings you can set Recursive auto decrypt on the folder settings for the My Video folder

@Black Hole
It affects all recordings

I installed new hard drive (Seagate ST2000VM003 Pipeline HD 2 TB 3.5")
I installed custom firmware 3.13
I installed WebIF
recorded a program and tried to transfer it, thats when I hit this issue.

@MymsMan fixencflags isn't on my diagnostics page.
OK I have set Recursive auto decrypt, will post log tomorrow.
What is difference between Recursive auto decrypt and auto decrypt?

fixed it!
weird... so in windows explorer I was typing in \\192.168.1\100\ to gain access to my humax, which worked, I could see and transfer the files but playing them once on my PC would not work. I have just tried typing the following into my windows explorer bar... ftp://192.168.1.100/, this time playing the files worked once transferred.
No idea why this would matter???
Anyway thanks for assistance @Black Hole and @MymsMan, appreciated.

Last edited:
I was typing in \\192.168.1\100\ to gain access to my humax
That is not a valid IP address. Do you mean 192.168.1.100?

I don't see why that would work at all if your Humax is actually on 192.168.1.141.

Configuring IP Address (click)

What is difference between Recursive auto decrypt and auto decrypt?
Setting the auto-decrypt flag only applies to recordings in that particular folder. Recursive includes any recordings in subfolders of that folder (all the way down).

fixencflags isn't on my diagnostics page.
Diagnostics >> Run Diagnostic >> type the name of the diagnostic you want in the box, you don't have to just pick it from the preset list.

It seems to me this whole thread is about operator error.

Back