Disk failing

One point I didn't see mentioned: if you don't decrypt your recordings, and just copy the encrypted recordings to the external disk, then if your Humax dies, your saved external recordings will no longer be playable. So it's a backup, but only for your current Humax.

I don't think you can see some changes to default settings in the WebIf. Box default volume, digital audio output settings for instance.
Thanks for that.

I'll add "Take photos of Settings screens" to my To Do list.

One point I didn't see mentioned: if you don't decrypt your recordings, and just copy the encrypted recordings to the external disk, then if your Humax dies, your saved external recordings will no longer be playable. So it's a backup, but only for your current Humax.
Agreed; a point worth making.

I am replacing the HDD in the hope that that cures the issues and gives my HDR T2 another few years life.

If it doesn't, I'll have to bite the bullet, and buy another DVR.

Hopefully, I'll have enough time to decrypt and copy my recordings.

I am replacing the HDD in the hope that that cures the issues and gives my HDR T2 another few years life.
You haven't said what your problem is, nor why you think it might be related to the state of the disk hardware. "Hope" sounds a bit like "guess" to me.

I ran the Hard Disk test in Web-IF which turned out like this:-
Web%20-IF%20Hard%20Disk%20Test%201.jpg
web%20-IF%20Hard%20Disk%20Test%202.jpg
web%20-IF%20Hard%20Disk%20Test%203.jpg

I also ran a fix-disk which I didn't screencap.

Did fix-disk fix your single bad sector?
Other than that it looks OK-ish. I don't like the "Reported_Uncorrect" figure though.

Do you have any feel for an acceptable threshold for Reported_Uncorrect?
Not really. It's hard to come up with a definitive definition of what it's measuring but normally it's zero, so any time it isn't is a cause to start worrying IMHO.

Did fix-disk fix your single bad sector?
Other than that it looks OK-ish. I don't like the "Reported_Uncorrect" figure though.
I can't remember. I do know that subsequent recordings had bad picture breakup losing 10 seconds or more each time.

A search tells me that "Reported_Uncorrect" is short for Reported_Uncorrectable_Errors, which doesn't sound good to my non-technical ears.

I'm assuming the red lines indicate danger (!)?
Code:
197     Current_Pending_Sector     -O--C-     1     100     100     000    -
198     Offline_Uncorrectable      ----C-     1     100     100     000    -

Could anyone tell me if running the 4kalign diagnostic can do any harm?

I'm buying a 1TB HDD and this is my firmware
Custom firmware version: 3.02 (build 2295)
Humax Version: 1.02.32 (kernel HDR_CFW_3.00)

I read a few threads on here that mention 4kalign but it would be nice to be a bit clearer.

No, all it does it query the disk and print out information about each partition.

Thanks for the reply.

The new HDD has just arrived!

[Edit]
The new HDD is now fitted.

I was pleasantly surprised that all my settings in the Humax GUI were intact.

However, I get this screen
Web%20-IF%20Error%20Screen.jpg

The disk is there; it's formatted; I've copied across a programme which plays correctly.

I can telnet in so can anyone give me tips are to how to fix Web-IF?

Last edited:
Ah.

I can't install new firmware because of the E-HC error.

I've tried 3 different USB sticks. all formatted FAT32.

Any ideas, anyone?

That indicates corruption in the software image rather than a USB stick problem.

Have you checked that the checksum of the downloaded .zip file matches the one shown on the download site?
Did you by any chance just rename the .zip instead of unzipping it? (daft question but it isn't unknown!)

That indicates corruption in the software image rather than a USB stick problem.

Have you checked that the checksum of the downloaded .zip file matches the one shown on the download site?
Did you by any chance just rename the .zip instead of unzipping it? (daft question but it isn't unknown!)
Aarrgh!

I didn't unzip it!

I think I did that last time.

From a user's point of view, the first instruction of http://wiki.hummy.tv/wiki/Install_Modified_Firmware
" Download the firmware and, if it is a zip file, extract it"
would be clearer if it said,
I think the download link leads people. or at least me, to click it, and not read the rest of the sentence.

Back