HDR Fox T2 Wireless Dongle

How do you mean? To us, "WiFi dongle" means a USB WiFi adapter you plug into the HD/HDR-FOX's USB socket so the Humax has access to your home WiFi network, and there via a router to the Internet.

I suspect you mean you want to use the Galaxy as a 3G/4G data connection, "tethered" to the Humax by linking it through the WiFi, so you would still need a dongle for the Humax to connect to the Galaxy. Whether it would actually work we won't know unless somebody has already tried it. I had a go at linking an HDR to my 3G "3" MiFi (personal access point), but it wasn't having any of it.

I mean exactly that use the phone as a USB WiFi adapter, I have a Nintendo 64 emulator app on it, I know I can tether it, so I am assuming it must be possible to write some software that emulates the appropriate dongle chip set, plug it into the usb port and it effectively becomes a dongle. I assume no one has done it otherwise it would have turned up in the many google searches I have tried, thus far.

Hellfire!

OK, so let's presume you can program your Galaxy to do anything you want. The Humax expects to find a Ralink chip on the end, so you will need a complete description of the communication protocol required to convince the Humax that your emulation is the real thing. Good luck, you're going to need it. Maybe an alternative stack could be put into the Humax to turn the USB into a straight comms link, except we don't have direct access to that stuff.

For what? You want to go to all that trouble so you can use the Galaxy as a dongle, when a real dongle can be had for less than a tenner??

Thanks for the info, I didn't want to go to the trouble I was hoping someone already had, apps/widgets are generally a lot cheaper than £10, given the hardware effectively exists in the phone it would be a shame not to make the most of it (and possibly charge the phone at the same time), ok I see it's not as simple as downloading something from an app store.

When you said you assumed it would be possible, I assumed you meant you could do it! The thing is, how many people would want such a thing for it to be worth somebody's while to write and test it? And then, what's going to happen if you are streaming through it and the phone rings? I have severe doubts it could work anyway, the software would have to bridge the gap between the USB slave port and the WiFi interface, and do it fast enough to mimic hardware. I doubt the Galaxy OS is what we call "real time".

The cheapest RT3070 dongle I can find on eBay is £3.99.

If an app. existed to turn your phone into a USB WiFi dondle that worked on say a P.C. / Laptop, it still wouldn't work on the Humax unless it was written for the RALINK 3070 chipset because the Humax only works on one type of dongle. If you were to do this you would turning your very expensive phone into a £10 (or less) Dongle

Funny thing, my Realtek-chipset Ebay-special dongle which worked fine until now (and still does -- 'cos it detects my neighbour's wi-fi) resolutely refuses to connect to my network any more. I added a TP-Link range extender WA830 and everything else seems to hook up as normal. I hammered in the wi-fi settings again but it won't have any of it. Have pulled my hair out for several nights. Would anything in a recent firmware update (which sneaked in one night) have affected the wireless connectivity I wonder? :confused:
also set all your aps and routers to channel 5 or above in the wireless settings as both my rt3070 dongles only see my routers in this channel range
and you say realtek-chipset i think you mean ralink-chipset as the hd and hdr don't support any realtek dongles if it is a realtek chipset then thats your problem
Peter, Monday at 2:04 PM

The noise that you can hear is me eating my hat...

Firstly I apologise for repeatedly referring to Realtek when Peter is correct, I mean Ralink (whom I confess I'd not heard of as a chipset maker, I thought they made peripherals). Doh!

I'd recently changed channel to #1 to avoid clashing with a neighbour'S BT wifi which swamped mine. A bit earlier I dropped in a TP Link range extender WA-830RE which was temperamental to set up but is currently behaving. Best way of configuring it was to log in via ethernet and forget WPS. (YMMV.)

I found my T2 would not hook up on wi-fi at all. It would not even find the ESSID even when entered manually. You know how these things escalate in a backwards direction, so after a router (Billion 7800N) flash upgrade, reboot, reset and re-jig my whole system (of 4 PCs, 2 laptops, a radio, NAS and phone)... the Humax still wouldn't connect. Taking out the range extender made no difference.

As a last resort I flashed to V 1.02.29 firmware (still no joy). So, I've just changed to channel 13 instead, and - lo! - the Humax has immediately connected, faster than I've ever known, and it seems (time will tell) that I don't have to constantly force a manual re-connect each time the system re-starts.

As I posted earlier, the dongle was a cheap 150Mbps ebay special with RT3070 chipset, £2.99 (the P&P cost more) which works fine. I have just tried again a spare Tenda W311U (RT2870) and I confirm this works perfectly. It's stuck on the back of the TV and connected to a rear USB with a short extension lead. The W311U is running out but I saw it on sale at Amazon.

I'm very grateful for the help!

-- Alan W / EPEmag

I've found that, where channel usage is unknown (but may be important), that it pays to run something like inssider (Windows) or equivalent to show usage near you. One thing I noticed is that these modern setups are increasingly using N, which can swamp all the channels when there are several close.
The one good thing is that, on default settings, they will often preclude channel 13 (which isn't a valid channel in places - like the states) - may explain your success with 13.

Derek

As a result of consulting that last link to the wiki, I can report that the Edimax EW-7711USN works well for me, so could be added to the list of dongles?
Derek

Wording changed to include all 7711 Models
Am using the Edimax EW-7711UAn adapter with my HDR Fox T2 and am able to access my wireless network without problems -- BUT after the PVR has been on standby it always shows "Network disconnected" and I have to go into the Settings menu to reconnect. On selecting "Configure Wi-fi" it displays my network (so it knows it's been there before) and I have to press "Apply" to reconnect. Why does it not reconnect automatically on booting? I've tried with UPnP allowed and disallowed and it makes no difference. Have I missed a necessary setting?

This is likely to be something to do with your WiFi router rather than the Humax end. It must be terminating the lease.

That seems to happen quite a lot for some people. The custom firmware + wireless-helper should fix it though if you want to go down that route.

This is likely to be something to do with your WiFi router rather than the Humax end. It must be terminating the lease.
I don't think so: it doesn't happen with other wireless clients on the network.
That seems to happen quite a lot for some people. The custom firmware + wireless-helper should fix it though if you want to go down that route.
I'll think about that. I've tried the Humax helpdesk and they don't have a solution, beyond saying they only have experience with the Humax dongle. Now that they know about this issue (does it also happen with the Humax dongle?), maybe it will be addressed with the next firmware update.

Now that they know about this issue (does it also happen with the Humax dongle?), maybe it will be addressed with the next firmware update.

I think it is very unlikely that Edimax EW-7711 or any other non-Humax Dongle will work any differently to the official humax dongle in this respect, the only real requirement is the RALINK 3070 chipset, which the 7711 has

I think it is very unlikely that Edimax EW-7711 or any other non-Humax Dongle will work any differently to the official humax dongle in this respect, the only real requirement is the RALINK 3070 chipset, which the 7711 has
Have now tried turning on "Broadcast SSID" on my router (was previously disabled), but no difference, unfortunately. (And InSSIDer 2 does find my network by name even when its SSID is not broadcast!)

I don't think so: it doesn't happen with other wireless clients on the network.

You might be right, but don't be too sure about it - stranger things have happened. The Humax + dongle is not a normal WiFi client by any means.

Back