HDR Fox T2 Wireless Dongle

In this thread are mentioned 'reports' that WiFi channels 1-4 do not work on he HDR T2
I just now ordered a dongle and hope this is not true, as 2 is the only quiet channel hereabouts that also works in the garden.
Where did that fact/rumour come from?

PS I just moved to the HDR-T2 from my old trusty old 9200T
Hope that firmware fixes are not as slow as the famous 'hang' one for the 9200T!

The information about WiFi channel numbers is on the Forum because somebody has demonstrated it.

The value of the Forum is crowd-sourcing: if something is incorrect somebody will say so. You are welcome to prove the contrary, in which case there will then be a discussion and possibly further experiments, and the collective wisdom will be revised.

I have been using channel 4 since day 1 without any problem. I do use the custom firmware and have the wifi helper packages installed, but I don't think they affect the Humax's ability to operate in any particular channel. What they do let me do is to use a router that doesn't broadcast the SSID and a WPA2 passphrase that includes "funny" characters (for the latter I put the WPA2 authentication details into the database by hand instead of the remote). The dongle is an Edimax EW-7711UAN.

Slotph

Some clarification required here please. Netgear appear to have a number of "N300" routers - the N referring to the wireless standard (frequency etc) and 300 to the speed. Has your unit another designation.

When you say "It worked OK with the previous Thomson router" does the "It" refer to your Humax?

Custom software is loaded on top of the existing operating software and, as far as people know, is cleanly removed if the operating software is re-installed.

Can you confirm that with your Edimax EW-7711UAn you can connect to your router using Channel 1?

Martin

Found quickly enough via the Index: http://.....

Thanks for that, I did search first, honest!
I'm not sure I really want to use the online functions much, but am curious to have a look at what's possible so ordered a cheapie dongle.
It was £8. Amazon are doing them direct. I'll report back the findings.

Slotph

Some clarification required here please. Netgear appear to have a number of "N300" routers - the N referring to the wireless standard (frequency etc) and 300 to the speed. Has your unit another designation.

When you say "It worked OK with the previous Thomson router" does the "It" refer to your Humax?

Custom software is loaded on top of the existing operating software and, as far as people know, is cleanly removed if the operating software is re-installed.

Can you confirm that with your Edimax EW-7711UAn you can connect to your router using Channel 1?

Martin
Sorry - it's a Netgear DGN2200v3. To clarify: I meant the PC wireless client worked with my old Thomson router (as it does with the Netgear router); I never tried the Thomson with the Humax box. And even when the Netgear router claims to be using Channel 1, I can indeed connect the Humax box to my wireless network with the Edimax EW-7711UAn. I have currently selected Channel 8, but it makes no difference to the disconnection after the box has been on standby. As soon as I have time, I'll try another factory reset in accordance with instructions received from Karl Harrison at Humax.
I'm a bit scared of the custom software, to be honest, but I expect I'll take the plunge some time...

I have been using channel 4 since day 1 without any problem. I do use the custom firmware and have the wifi helper packages installed, but I don't think they affect the Humax's ability to operate in any particular channel. What they do let me do is to use a router that doesn't broadcast the SSID and a WPA2 passphrase that includes "funny" characters (for the latter I put the WPA2 authentication details into the database by hand instead of the remote). The dongle is an Edimax EW-7711UAN.
Opinions differ on the security value of not broadcasting your SSID: see for example http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/2865...hiding-your-wireless-ssid-really-more-secure/
My disconnection issue happens whether I do or do not broadcast my SSID. And I do have some non-alphanumeric characters in my passphrase, which the "official" Humax software accepts.

Slopth

You are a person of patience who, unfortunately, is pioneering the Netgear/Humax Wireless saga. If you are willing and have the time then there are a number of steps to try and localise the problem.

As background, its seems that most wireless problems have been related to the type of wireless USB device followed by interference on particular channels and Humax's non-usage of some channels (tbc). Edimax 7711 devices seems to work satisfactorily with the HDR.

Amazon reviewers have mixed feelings about the Netgear DGN2200v3. Some have reported transmitter power losses over time and an IP Address lease time of 12 hours (unchangeable). [My BT Home Hub's lease time is 24 hours.]

If I were you I would carry out the following tests to decide whether or not my HDR or my Router was causing the problem. Checking if the problem still exists afterwards.

1. Reset the Netgear Router.
2. Reset the HDR to Default Settings and re-enter the wireless details.
3. Reload v1.02.28 and do 2. again.
4. Move the HDR closer to the Router.
5. Remove all wireless security settings from the router and do 2. again. (Disconnect other devices connected to your router to avoid unwanted penetration.)
6. Test all channels, one at a time.
7. Fix the ethernet address.
8. Replace the Netgear Router with the Thomson Router and do 2. again.

If my problem still existed then I would consider I had a good reason to pursue a warranty case. But as I know a little bit about software (and am interested in solving problems) I would load the custom software and its wireless-helper application. Then I could supply more qualified people with information to help me out.

Sorry that your problem is not easy to resolve.

Martin

Slopth

You are a person of patience who, unfortunately, is pioneering the Netgear/Humax Wireless saga. If you are willing and have the time then there are a number of steps to try and localise the problem.

As background, its seems that most wireless problems have been related to the type of wireless USB device followed by interference on particular channels and Humax's non-usage of some channels (tbc). Edimax 7711 devices seems to work satisfactorily with the HDR.

Amazon reviewers have mixed feelings about the Netgear DGN2200v3. Some have reported transmitter power losses over time and an IP Address lease time of 12 hours (unchangeable). [My BT Home Hub's lease time is 24 hours.]

If I were you I would carry out the following tests to decide whether or not my HDR or my Router was causing the problem. Checking if the problem still exists afterwards.

1. Reset the Netgear Router.
2. Reset the HDR to Default Settings and re-enter the wireless details.
3. Reload v1.02.28 and do 2. again.
4. Move the HDR closer to the Router.
5. Remove all wireless security settings from the router and do 2. again. (Disconnect other devices connected to your router to avoid unwanted penetration.)
6. Test all channels, one at a time.
7. Fix the ethernet address.
8. Replace the Netgear Router with the Thomson Router and do 2. again.

If my problem still existed then I would consider I had a good reason to pursue a warranty case. But as I know a little bit about software (and am interested in solving problems) I would load the custom software and its wireless-helper application. Then I could supply more qualified people with information to help me out.

Sorry that your problem is not easy to resolve.

Martin
Eventually, and when I have plucked up courage (or when the Humax warranty expires), I expect I'll go for the custom software. At the moment, I am fed up to the back teeth grappling with this issue; in fact, I use the TV Portal relatively seldom and propose to put up with the inconvenience of having to go into Settings each time for the time being (unless some very obvious explanation emerges).
Re the Netgear DGN2200v3 router, it has been a huge advance over the Thomson originally supplied free by my ISP: the wirelessly connected PC in my network often used to have trouble connecting, but this has never happened since I installed the Netgear router, nor does the signal ever drop out now. (I never tried to get the Humax online while still using the Thomson router, which is in any case only an 802.11g device.) The 12-hour lease is surely a red herring, as my issue occurs even if the Humax has been on standby only for a few seconds.
Thanks for your help. I will check out some of your suggestions when I have time and inclination.

Slotph

A good pragmatic solution. Yes, the lease time seems unimportant given the short duration of some of the standby times but unexpected things sometimes occur.

If you find out anything more please let us know.

Martin

Slotph

A good pragmatic solution. Yes, the lease time seems unimportant given the short duration of some of the standby times but unexpected things sometimes occur.

If you find out anything more please let us know.

Martin
For the record, I have temporarily reinstalled the old Thomson (TG585v7) router and set it up, with the same security details, to broadcast its SSID and use Channel 8. The Humax box connected, but my issue remains: I still have to go into Settings to reconnect after the Humax has been on standby even for only a few seconds. So unless there is a setting in both routers that the Humax doesn't like, it looks like the Humax software/firmware is somehow to blame (even though other users don't seem to have this problem).
I have now reinstalled my Netgear router: no change, of course.
I will indeed report back if a solution emerges.

Slotph

Sounds like a good try.

Did you use the same password as with the Netgear?

If you switched off the Netgear I assume it reset itself. Might be worth resetting the HDR, if you haven't done it, though this will lose all your timer/preferences settings. But in your own time. Or wait for the October 17th Freeview update which will be forcing a re-tune and hence remove all your timers (if you have not loaded the custom software); then you can do, effectively, a re-installation.

It would be helpful if someone else had the Netgear/HDR problem to share the investigative load.

Martin

Slotph

Sounds like a good try.

Did you use the same password as with the Netgear?

If you switched off the Netgear I assume it reset itself. Might be worth resetting the HDR, if you haven't done it, though this will lose all your timer/preferences settings. But in your own time. Or wait for the October 17th Freeview update which will be forcing a re-tune and hence remove all your timers (if you have not loaded the custom software); then you can do, effectively, a re-installation.

It would be helpful if someone else had the Netgear/HDR problem to share the investigative load.

Martin
Yes, the password and all the settings were the same for both routers. The Netgear one did indeed self-reset when reinstalled.
I have already tried the factory reset approach once (as suggested, with all the necessary steps, by Karl Harrison at Humax), but no joy. Maybe I'll try again after 17 October. (Since the 19 September fiasco the Radio Times has been showing the new Freeview numbers that didn't happen.)

Slotph

Thanks for the info.

Looking at the Netgear manual it says it has WPS (Push 'n' Connect) which is supposed to be much more secure and takes the hassle out of setting up a wireless network. Since you have a Netgear dongle, that would support WPS as well and windows operating systems above Vista do also. When setting up a network WPS generates a new SSID and passkey.

I don't believe the HDR has this feature but am open to be corrected. Some Netgear Users have had problems with WPS (search http://forum1.netgear.com/forumdisplay.php?f=30). WPS may be affecting your re-connection but I'm not an expert.

Martin

Back