It looks like the disk has gone read-only and I'll need some hand-holding

everthewatcher

Forum Supporter
Following on from this message it looks like I may now have a read-only hard disk. I've swapped the front panel PCB back just in case there was some coding on the DTR one that caused the issue but it remains.

Symptoms are:
Files on the disk can be played
A recording appears to be being made but isn't
Files could be played from network share on a Windows PC
A "Deleting" spinner would pop-up and remain until the machine was rebooted
Accessing via the webif gets a '500 Internal Server Error'.

Help please!

[Edit] Telnet is still running and Fixdisk has found a bad block.

Last edited:
You're talking about a DTR-1000T, are you not? Shouldn't this be in the relevant section?

So far as I know we have no way in to knife-and-fork a DTR. Unless you want to just reformat (would that matter?), you'll have to extract the HDD and work on it from a PC, preferably running Linux.

If you are indeed talking HDR-FOX,
no hand-holding required: just run fixdisk (click).

Edit: Oh, now I see. You swapped a DTR-1000T's front panel onto a HDR-FOX.

You're talking about a DTR-1000T, are you not? Shouldn't this be in the relevant section?
The DTR was the source of the front panel PCB for an HDR with CF which now has problems, so this is the correct section.

Fortunately Telnet still works and Fixdisk is now doing its stuff.

Yes, I've figured that out and so have you. Not sure why you thought you would "need some hand-holding".

OK, Fixdisk has done it's stuff and found loads of errors, some may have been down to my having to power-cycle it as it was reluctant to power down last night.

I've not tried a recording yet. It's recording and deleting OK.

The webif is still giving '500 Internal Server Error' - how do I go about fixing this?

Last edited:
Many thanks once again to those responsible for the tools that let me sort this out.

I'm still wondering what happened here - it's too much of a coincidence for my liking.

Many thanks once again to those responsible for the tools that let me sort this out.

I'm still wondering what happened here - it's too much of a coincidence for my liking.
If you have the time and inclination to experiment, maybe you can try it again - placing the DTR-1000T front panel onto HDR-FOX.
You have the ability to fix it if the drive goes into read only mode again, but be aware there is a chance something else may go wrong.
It'll require more of your time, but the results may be useful.

I can't see any causal link.
I'm struggling too. I've not looked to see if the ATmega164 is handling the fluorescent display drive but if it's not it does seem to be a bit underused just dealing with the IR remote, the LED drive and the touchpads. I've done IR decoding with an ATtiny2313 that also drove a 2x16 line LCD, LEDs and a beeper.

The PCB's were the same but the stickers were completely different including their placement and the build option strikeout was used on the DTR one but not the HDR (IIRC). Next time I've got the AVR ISP kit out I may solder in the 6-pin programming header and see if I can pull the code out for comparison, assuming they've not set the lock bit. But this isn't going to be in the immediate future.

The disk errors were probably down to me having to forcibly shut the machine down several times when the 'Deleting' spinner stayed up, thinking it was a delete loop issue. The disk had gone read-only before that - the first clue was the BBC News and Local News hadn't been recorded.

The disk errors were probably down to me having to forcibly shut the machine down several times when the 'Deleting' spinner stayed up, thinking it was a delete loop issue. The disk had gone read-only before that - the first clue was the BBC News and Local News hadn't been recorded.
I agree, that seems likely to have caused your drive stuck into a read only state (more so than swapping front panel).
I'm struggling too. I've not looked to see if the ATmega164 is handling the fluorescent display drive but if it's not it does seem to be a bit underused just dealing with the IR remote, the LED drive and the touchpads. I've done IR decoding with an ATtiny2313 that also drove a 2x16 line LCD, LEDs and a beeper...
It's possible they ran out of some components during a production run and substituted the higher spec component to use in its place - to ensure the run doesn't get interrupted.

I agree, that seems likely to have caused your drive stuck into a read only state (more so than swapping front panel.
Nope.
  • I swapped the front panel PCB, put the HDR back where it lives and powered it up. All seemed OK so I left it on
  • Came back to it around 6:45pm to find it hadn't recorded the 6pm BBC News
  • The red ring was on as expected as it was scheduled to record the BBC local news
  • Initial reaction was they'd changed the 6pm BBC News programme ID again and I'll deal with that later
  • Cooked a meal, watched something pre-recorded, deleted it (to dustbin) and got the stuck 'Deleting' spinner
  • Power-cycled it. Spinner gone. Deleted the prog again and got the spinner. Repeated a couple more times
  • Swore
  • Spotted the BBC local news hadn't been recorded either
  • Penny dropped. Tried a recording which failed, indicating the HDD had gone read-only
So it had clearly gone read-only before the 6pm news, well before I first power-cycled it sometime after 7pm

[Edit] Knew I'd missed something. It was recording fine the previous evening. It powered down at 12 midnight and was still in that state when I switched it off to swap the front panel.

Last edited:
So, are you saying the DTR-1000T front panel is not, after all, a suitable replacement part?

The front panel of the DTR-T1000 is the same part as was used in the RE version of the HDR-FOX T2. It has version 12 of Micom, rather than version 9, but either version of the panel works with both revisions of the HDR-FOX T2. Several years ago I fixed a HDR-FOX T2 that which was scrolling through the channels on its own, by replacing the front panel with one from a DTR-T1000 and it is still working fine now.

Back