Pause on Live TV no longer works

I tried to see if 'Install full Web interface" would now work .... I can no longer open a browser connection to the PVR ...... Telnet still working

Reinstate Corrupted CF via RMA Mode
[Post earmarked for future reference and maintenance]

The following will (should) wipe the CF from the HDD so that it can be re-installed from scratch (Flash update from USB is rarely necessary). Note this does not wipe any recordings, recording schedule, tuning etc. A less drastic option, where a full re-install is not required, is to run fixweb from the Telnet menu (see step 2 below). It is wise to be running the latest version of CF – if in doubt, check.
  1. Establish a Telnet connection (for details see https://wiki.hummy.tv/wiki/Telnet). If asked for your PIN, the default is "0000" (this can be changed by the user). If not presented with a menu, at the command prompt type "tmenu".
  2. From the Telnet menu select option "rma".
  3. Reboot.
  4. Re-establish a Telnet connection (as above), and from the menu select the option to reset RMA mode.
  5. Access the HDR-FOX's IP address from a web browser – the option should be available to re-install CF.
The process was originally mooted based on general knowledge from this forum, but without explicit testing by the author. It was subsequently verified:
Well that was quick & simple - that worked, WebIF now working.

RMA stands for Return of Materials Authorisation, and is jargon for the paperwork meant to accompany returns through the company's Goods Inwards department - so they know what to do with it. Unfortunately the office jargon got out into the wild, so now RMA means the returns process in general.

Setting RMA mode in the HDR-FOX CF is to prepare for erasing all traces of CF from a unit for warranty return, and (as the first stage) wipes CF from the HDD. It has to be completed by installing standard firmware (thus wiping traces of CF from Flash), but in this case we don't want to do that. CF re-installation is inhibited by a flag in "RMA Mode", so to reinstall CF the RMA flag has to be reset first (as per step 4 above).

Last edited:
Well that was quick & simple - that worked Web i/f now working.
Thanks for that.

I finally managed to get to SMART Diagnostics it shows :

There are potential hardware problems with the internal hard disk on this device.

Disk realloc sector count is: 221
Disk pending sector count is: 96
Disk offline sector count is: 96

What should I be doing to fix these ?

There are potential hardware problems with the internal hard disk on this device.

Disk realloc sector count is: 221
Disk pending sector count is: 96
Disk offline sector count is: 96

What should I be doing to fix these ?
The pending sector count is a concern. Try running fix-disk as per post #6 in this thread.

At least so I can consider .......... Is there a particular HDD I should consider, plus is there an 'easy' process to copy across recordings.

It largely depends whether fix disk is able to clear the pending sectors and that they dont keep recurring

is there an 'easy' process to copy across recordings.
If I were doing it (I have done it, several times), I would rsync everything from the old drive's partition 2 to the new one's.
Whether you consider that 'easy' or not, I am not in a position to say.

If I were doing it (I have done it, several times), I would rsync everything from the old drive's partition 2 to the new one's.
Whether you consider that 'easy' or not, I am not in a position to say.
Is that procedure documented somewhere ? ..... done plenty of HDD swap out & re-partitioning on PC's but do not have an understanding of HDD on the Humax boxes..

Off the top of my head...
Take out old disk. Insert new disk. Switch on and let it partition and format (I would reformat partition 2 after that - see 2TB blog - but you don't need to).
When it's done all that, telnet into the box and select command line option.
Install rsync - opkg update; opkg install rsync
Connect the old disk in a powered USB caddy. Then rsync -av --exclude Tsr/ /media/drive2/ /mnt/hd2/

Humax HDD partitioning and formatting is no different in principle to a PC.

Last edited:
Off the top of my head...
Take out old disk. Insert new disk. Switch on and let it partition and format (I would reformat partition 2 after that - see 2TB blog - but you don't need to).
When it's done all that, telnet into the box and select command line option.
Install rsync - opkg update; opkg install rsync
Connect the new disk in a powered USB caddy. Then rsync -av --exclude Tsr/ /media/drive2/ /mnt/hd2/

Humax HDD partitioning and formatting is no different in principle to a PC.
I'll try and find out HDD I need to get

fixdisk still running .... been 28 Hrs so far - this is a long disk session. .. is there a report I can get on completion or it is a cut & paste from Telnet screen

Last edited:
Back