Pause on Live TV no longer works

Ideally there would be two folders - Deleted and Trash.
Deleted for programmes enjoyed but no longer wanted.
Trash for the stuff you didn't enjoy.
:whistling:
I did think about renaming mine to [Bin and gone] but decided to stick with a simple [Bin] for to avoid need for quoting of the (rare) occasions when I use the command line.

Ideally there would be two folders - Deleted and Trash.
Deleted for programmes enjoyed but no longer wanted.
Trash for the stuff you didn't enjoy.
What about programmes which have been deleted that haven't been watched?
Or those that the Irish PVR records (the ones you never wanted to record and which get replayed when you're out)?

Or those that the Irish PVR records (the ones you never wanted to record and which get replayed when you're out)?
That would have to be those that record whilst you are in watching nothing important - so could have watched the recording live. Ahr to be sure. No stereotyping here. ;)

What about programmes which have been deleted that haven't been watched?
Presumably once the feature of having two 'bins' has been installed it wouldn't be hard to allow any number of them.
Each one would of course need its own settings for 'keep time'.

Reinstate Corrupted CF via RMA Mode
[Post earmarked for future reference and maintenance]

Thanks for this.
The Remote (virtual) had vanished, and the box, for a while now, has been broadcasting help emails saying that a file was corrupted, but the file name given is not in any of the browse listings. Of course, I suspect a power failure or such has left the TOC corrupted, but a disk fix/check hasn't removed it, only, apparently the jim/remote page.
So, I was about to run the full RMA and start again, but this is most helpful in explaining what's happening - I really, really like to know these things, and can understand what the software is up to.

not in any of the browse listings
Only specific file types appear in the on-screen or WebIF media browsers. To find arbitrary files it is necessary to use the direct access mechanisms only available by installing CF, such as unrestricted FTP (betaftpd package), SMB/NFS (network file acces), or directly on the command line (Telnet or webshell).

Of course, I suspect a power failure or such has left the TOC corrupted, but a disk fix/check hasn't removed it, only, apparently the jim/remote page.
There is no TOC as such.
It's just a stray .hmt file that hasn't been deleted for whatever reason. Nothing is going to fix that apart from you finding and deleting the file manually. Fix-disk isn't going to randomly delete files. All it does is (attempt to) fix bad sectors and repair filesystems. It doesn't paint the shed, do the washing or service the car either. We had a thread about this very same thing last week.
So, I was about to run the full RMA and start again,
That won't fix it either.

The easiest way to delete these harmless orphaned files (nothing is corrupted) is to log on to remote scheduling where there is a delete option for them on the home page.

One thing to check is the 'Last seen' time on the top of the RS web pages, sometimes communication breaks down and RS continue to report files that have already been cleaned up.

There is no TOC as such.
It's just a stray .hmt file that hasn't been deleted for whatever reason. Nothing is going to fix that apart from you finding and deleting the file manually. Fix-disk isn't going to randomly delete files. All it does is (attempt to) fix bad sectors and repair filesystems. It doesn't paint the shed, do the washing or service the car either. We had a thread about this very same thing last week.

That won't fix it either.

No Table of Content / File Allocation Table? - does it scan the entire disk to construct the media file list then?
Ah, that must be a file system thing? I had the naive expectation that a full disk check would look at the Table of Contents /File Allocation table, then go to the stated disk location and look for a file header, and file end - or start of next file if the file system is not using end markers. That stabilises the overall disk content such that we are working with known files.

Anything not identified is then reported. As you say, can't 'fix' it if you don't know what its content is, but you can put it up for inspection, where the fragments are listed and, as you say, can be reclaimed by patching the VTOC. Not easy, but not impossible. And I thought I'd left all that behind in the days of bit level inspection of memory dumps.

Oddly - my latest car needs connection to an external CPU to provide all manner of self diagnosis. They talk of intelligent washing machines too, so maybe the day isn't far off where your scutter clears the floor into a washing machine and starts it up for you.. Here's hoping.

Hate it when idiot PC's go wrong, so if it takes a full reformat - that's what will happen.

Thanks for the info.
R

Last edited:
Hate it when idiot PC's go wrong, so if it takes a full reformat - that's what will happen.

NO
Reformatting the disk, RMA, fixdisk are all totally overkill for a system that is working 100% normally.

You have not specified the emails you have received but I presume it is RS failed email like
Code:
Device: HDR-Fox T2 (Ashdown - dc:d3:21:57:a5:f3)
At least one failed recording has been detected in your
media library. The following recording(s) failed:

/Eggheads/Eggheads_20200814_1800

All that means is the humax failed to record a programme that was scheduled, usually due to a change of schedule by the broadcaster
(occasionally they can occur when deleting a recording)

These failed recordings marker files are totally harmless and take up a negligible amount of disk space and do not indicate any problem with the file system.

Only specific file types appear in the on-screen or WebIF media browsers. To find arbitrary files it is necessary to use the direct access mechanisms only available by installing CF, such as unrestricted FTP (betaftpd package)

Right. So the media list is showing an extract of the VTOC/FAT (whatever) catalogue. Makes sense.
And I have no problem if the file exists in a format which an FTP can find. To broadcast the email I had supposed that it must be identifiable by name.

Thanks for this. When I next have the opportunity to grab the box I'll install the FTP package and have at it.

I'm expecting the missing remote control panel to reappear after the latest reset/reinstall

R

So the media list is showing an extract of the VTOC/FAT (whatever) catalogue.
Err.... what?

The on-screen media list is constructed from details held in each .hmt "sidecar" file, as extracted from the transmitted data stream (the same as would appear if you press "info" during live transmission). The actual file name of the .ts (and the associated sidecar files) is derived from the programme title and the date and time of transmission.

The WebIF media list is simply the file names of playable file types in any particular folder, just as if you had done a "dir" command (or "ls" in the case of Linux).

Err.... what?

The on-screen media list is constructed from details held in each .hmt "sidecar" file, as extracted from the transmitted data stream (the same as would appear if you press "info" during live transmission). The actual file name of the .ts (and the associated sidecar files) is derived from the programme title and the date and time of transmission.

The WebIF media list is simply the file names of playable file types in any particular folder, just as if you had done a "dir" command (or "ls" in the case of Linux).

VTOC - Visual table of Contents
FAT - File Allocation Table

All File systems need a way of knowing whereabouts on a disk they placed an item - otherwise they have to read the entire disk surface looking. Windoze uses FAT, IBM iron uses VTOC
So somewhere, I am assuming that each of the .hmt and .ts files are recorded in something like a list. To construct the on screen display, the list of what exists is referenced, each location read back for the details to display, and the information we see is constructed record by record, and displayed.

Or is something else happening?

This is Linux. The file system in use is Ext3.

What's happening is what I described. The on-screen media list is generated from data held in the files themselves, while the WebIF media browser list is generated from the file system directory entries.

Using a low-level approach to understanding what's going on is OK to a point - but the abstraction layers in between are there to hide the detail and streamline concepts to only need to consider higher-level constructs. Most discussion goes on at the higher level - without having to consider the lower layers - so you trying to bring it down to that level (and getting it a bit wrong) is incongruous.

All File systems need a way of knowing whereabouts on a disk they placed an item - otherwise they have to read the entire disk surface looking. Windoze uses FAT, IBM iron uses VTOC
So somewhere, I am assuming that each of the .hmt and .ts files are recorded in something like a list. To construct the on screen display, the list of what exists is referenced, each location read back for the details to display, and the information we see is constructed record by record, and displayed.

No, the .hmt is the reference in itself.

The on-screen media list is simply derived by reading each .hmt file that exists in the particular folder in question - 10 files gives you 10 entries in the list. That does NOT however mean that the file is actually playable, since that relies on the existence of the matching .ts media file in the same folder (and less crucially the .nts file to allow full navigation capabilities and .thm file to display the on-screen thumbnail). If the .ts file has gone AWOL then you end up with an orphaned .hmt file, and an on-screen entry that throws up an error when you try to play it.

Last edited:
Volume Table of Contents?

Other reasons apart from AWOL include not-decryptable and (for an imported .ts) unsupported resolution, codecs, etc.

Back