[network-shares-automount] package released

Thanks very much for the update Drutt - I will try this later today on the HDR and report back.

I think for safety and lack of confusion I will remove the existing package/shares/folders completely and start afresh with 1.3 (Yes I WILL make sure the NAS is off-line!)

Thanks very much for the update Drutt - I will try this later today on the HDR and report back.

I think for safety and lack of confusion I will remove the existing package/shares/folders completely and start afresh with 1.3 (Yes I WILL make sure the NAS is off-line!)

When I removed 1.2 I deleted the [ModSettings] folder as well. I checked that in USB Storage that the shares had gone. Today I installed 1.3 and left it for a couple of hours then went into [ModSettings] to recreate my shares. Much to my surprise they were all already there and working. How did it do that? :confused:

So far it all appears to be working fine - Thanks Drutt for fixing this so quickly.

Good stuff Drutt my box is set to auto update installed packages so I checked my box again last night to have another go at setting it up and I found I now have my NAS appearing in the USB list so one of the recent updates has made my existing settings work. Thanks for all the efforts on this.

I tried a copy last night and all was well although I noticed that although the Opt+ menu option said Move/Copy it said on screen that it was Copying - is there anyway to define the NAS as it appears in the USB menu so that the Hummy would Move instead? (Saves me having to remember to go back and delete the stuff I've just put on the NAS!)

When I removed 1.2 I deleted the [ModSettings] folder as well. I checked that in USB Storage that the shares had gone. Today I installed 1.3 and left it for a couple of hours then went into [ModSettings] to recreate my shares. Much to my surprise they were all already there and working. How did it do that? :confused:.
The settings are actually stored in /mod/settings, and [Modsettings] is just a mountpoint to there. If you delete it when the mount is not set up (eg after uninstalling and rebooting) then mod/settings will not be disturbed. I did it that way to allow [Modsettings] be put in different places on the HD or HRD (or not used at all) without having to update everything. In the next version I'll make it optional as this seems to be a common request.

@Drutt

You're a marvel!!

I can live the options as they are now, as I can mount the share in 'media' which means no lockups

The WOL is working great, and wakes my NAS up from it's 'off' state when I turn on the HDR - this saves me having to go upstairs to turn it on manually
When the NAS goes in to it's hibernating state (after 10 minutes), it leaves the mount there and just wakes it up when you try to access a video

Just thought I'd point out something though, which might save other users asking this question

Not all NAS's have a WOL feature, and those that do tend to be the higher end/ latest models
If anybody has a cheap £150 NAS that is 3 or more years old, it probably won't work with the WOL settings

My current 5 bay main NAS (a Synology DS1010+) has the WOL feature, where as my two dual bay Synology DS209+II and DS207+ and my single bay Synology DS106e do not
Perhaps this information could be pointed out in the Wiki so as not to cause confusion - could even add a "does WOL"/"does not WOL" model list for the WOL feature

Would a mounted share configured to appear under 'media' behave like an attached USB drive?

Would it automatically decrypt recordings copied to it, or would it need to be decrypted first?

If it doesn't automatically decrypt, is it possible to write a script that could be configured to automatically move anything copied to the Virtual Disk to the mounted share

This isn't important, I was just wondering if it could be done

Would a mounted share configured to appear under 'media' behave like an attached USB drive?
Should do.

Would it automatically decrypt recordings copied to it, or would it need to be decrypted first?
Yes it will autonatically decrypt, if copied using OPT+. Need to confirm whether other copying methods using the Humax UI will also work, but I suspect they will.

That's the difference I was underlining about mounting under Media as another drive or mounting under My Video as another folder. If the Humax software sees is as a folder in My Video, you can expect the share to be seen as if on the one drive, and the interaction with the SUI will offer "move" rather than "copy" (and not decrypt in the process). Conversely with the share mounted as another drive immitating a USB device under Media the SUI will offer "copy" (not "move") and will decrypt. This is especially handy for HD-FOX users I should think.

Same for virtual drives.

I've just realised that installing shared access to my HDR drive from my HD will mean I can delete a recording once I've watched it! Still got the nause of decrypting everything first though... perhaps its time I set that running.

The WOL is working great, and wakes my NAS up from it's 'off' state when I turn on the HDR - this saves me having to go upstairs to turn it on manually
When the NAS goes in to it's hibernating state (after 10 minutes), it leaves the mount there and just wakes it up when you try to access a video

Worth I think just clarifying the expected behaviour of the Wake up on LAN feature. It doesn't actually wake up the host when a video is accessed. I suspect what ntm1275 is seeing here is a "light sleep" mode on the NAS, where the network connection is maintained (so its still "pingable" by the script and the share is kept mounted), and it wakes fully when a file is accessed.

If the host has a sleep mode where ping is not responded too, the share will be unmounted. To wake the box you need to send it a WOL "packet", which is achieved my renaming "wakeUp=off" to "wakeUp=on". The packet will then be sent, hopefully bringing the host back on-line, and allowing the share to automatically re-mount. The flag directory will be renamed back to "wakeUp=off" to prevent the WOL packet being continuously sent.

Next release I'll make it triggerable by moving the directory into the folder (easier than renaming with the remote), and if there is demand, I could add an option to always send WOL signal on bootup?

Should do.

Yes it will autonatically decrypt, if copied using OPT+. Need to confirm whether other copying methods using the Humax UI will also work, but I suspect they will.

Just tested it - It does automatically decrypt using OPT+ from the remote control, but not via Webif or direct network copy, or FTP

Just a bit of feedback - have now tried 1.3 for a couple of days and it seems to be working well - for me this is the No.1 add-on!

I have now removed the 1Tb USB drive I had attached to the HDR and I am solely using the NAS for extra storage - have placed a 4Gb USB stick on an extension cable from the rear USB just to keep the shares "alive"

It took me a while to transfer all the relevant items from one location to another - I note the Humax UI will let you copy files from USB HDD to the NAS share - at least it "pretends" to - but then just ignores your request?

Drutt, your suggestion of an option for WOL at bootup would be a good addition as far as I am concerned - thanks for all the hard work!

Right, I'll show my lack of determination now by asking for some hand-holding.

I installed the samba package on the HDR-FOX and was delighted to find I didn't need to do anything else at all to see it on the network from Windows, and browse all the Media directories (My Music, My Photo, My Video, and the two USB drives - one Ext3 and the other NTFS) from File Manager.

I installed the network-shares-automount package on the HD-FOX and was delighted to find it also pulled in cifs and other stuff as dependencies.

Now however I am a little stymied because this reasonably common scenario is not spelt out in black and white as far as I can see. With the SUI media browser (being an HD-FOX it only has USB and Network options) I have selected "drive1" (my Ext2 UPD) and found the "[modsettings]" folder. Within that I have gone into the "smb" folder and created a new folder "HDRFOX". The package has created a set of folders within that which I gather I have to edit to reflect the share parameters.

I have edited the "host=" folder to match my HDR's IP address, so they currently look like this:

Code:
domain=Domain or Workgroup
folder=ShareFolder
host=192_168_1_68
mac=ABABABABABAB (only needed for wakeUp)
password=Password
shareFolder=off
user=User
wakeUp=off
Somebody tell me what to do with the rest. Can I just blank them after the "="? The HDR didn't seem to need any kind of password to be accessible from the PC.

As an aid to this (what I would call) typical scenario of accessing the HDR from the HD, these fields could come ready-rolled (except for the IP address, obviously).

PS: Can I edit a hyphen into the "HDRFOX" folder name without ill effects? There was no hyphen on the OPT+ entry screen, but I can do the rest from the WebIF.

Somebody????
Patience ;)

I can't test this as I don't have 2 boxes, but from what I can see in the samba configuration file (/mod/etc/smb.conf), it looks like workgroup=WORKGROUP, folder=media, and hopefully the others shouldn't matter.

I don't have two boxes either - but as way of a help, here's my setup profile (CIFS):

domain=WORKGROUP
folder=videos
host=192.168.1.68
mac=ABABABABABAB (only needed for wakeUp) (4.0KiB)
password=humax
shareFolder=on
user=humax
wakeUp=off

To access my share from a PC I use \\192.168.1.68\videos with the user and password. I found in my scenario I had problems with the domain when I left it <BLANK> so I used the same as my PC (WORKGROUP) - this works for me. A Buffalo Linkstation (host), a PC XP and a Humax HDR Fox.

Worth checking the diagnostics and seeing if the mount it successful or failing and providing any clues.

Hope this helps.

Yes yes yes yes yes!!!!!!!!

domain=WORKGROUP
folder=Media
host=192_168_1_68 (or whatever your IP address is)

Leave the rest as is and bingo! Or at least, I can see the HDR through the HD's WebIF. Now to bed for a play!

Back