[network-shares-automount] package released

EDIT just noticed Black Hole has got it working - I type too slowly - but perhaps the instructions below will help someone else trying to get theirs working

When accessing a Windows shared folder, a username and password MUST be set up or otherwise Windows will deny access - blank passwords CANNOT be used, and the Username and Password CANNOT be the same

I have tested this by creating a new user called "Humax" and a password called "hdrfoxt2" along with a new folder on my PC called "testfrompc" which I have set to 'share'

Different flavours of Windows have slightly different ways of sharing a folder

Windows 7 - Right click the folder to share - select "Share with" - "Specific people" - select the username that you want the Hummy to use for access - click Share (if you have Windows UAC turned on, you will be asked for permission to continue - click the Continue button) - it will eventually stop on a window called 'File Sharing' showing you the path of the share - click 'Done' to finish

Vista - Right click the folder to share - select "Share..." - select the username that you want to the Hummy to use for access - click Share (if you have Windows UAC turned on, you will be asked for permission to continue - click the Continue button) - it will eventually stop on a window called 'File Sharing' showing you the path of the share - click 'Done' to finish

XP - Right click the folder to share - select "Sharing and Security - 'tick' the "Share this folder on the network" box (you also have the option of changing it's name in the "Share name" box) - to allow write access to the folder, 'tick' the "Allow network users to change my files" - click OK

To find out your "Workgroup", follow these points below:-

Windows 7 - right click "Computer" and select "Properties" from the menu - on this page about three quarters of the way down, you will see your workgroup name

Vista - right click "Computer" and select "Properties" from the menu - on this page about three quarters of the way down, you will see your workgroup name

XP - right click "My Computer" and select "Properties" from the menu - click the "Computer Name" tab at the top - on this page it will show you the workgroup name

I have added a "testfrompc" folder in to SMB in [modsettings] with the following details:-

domain=WORKGROUP (4.0KiB)
folder=testfrompc (4.0KiB)
host=192_168_0_12 (4.0KiB)
mac=ABABABABABAB (only needed for wakeUp) (4.0KiB)
password=hdrfoxt2 (4.0KiB)
shareFolder=off (4.0KiB)
user=Humax (4.0KiB)
wakeUp=off (4.0KiB)

This then creates a mounted share under 'media' to the shared "testfrompc" folder on my PC

DO NOT Use or Delete
My Music
My Photo
My Video
Video on Server
drive1
testfrompc
virtual

This now allows my Hummy to access the "testfrompc" folder on my PC

Thanks - but your instructions wouldn't have helped my Humax-Humax config.

Back to the plot:

BOLLOX!!!

Play (decrypted) HiDef file stored on HDR from HD using DLNA - plays perfectly, but clips at 4GB.

Play same file from HD using Samba-CIFS: playback is jerky on video and sound breaks up, but it plays to the end of the file.

A StDef file plays fine. Interestingly, played from a PC using Splash via the share is also jerky.

This leads me to suspect the samba package has a slower throughput than the native DLNA client.

The bottom line is: after all that I'm no better off! :(

There may still be hope... Samba has a lot of options.
You,could also,try NFS...

So far I've only watched stuff under 4GiB via DLNA.. I was thinking of setting up CIFS or NFS between the boxes somehow (probably not using this package) but with the new 45 minute split thing I probably won't in anger. I'd have to decrypt things to watch them upstairs and now I can just split them instead.

I'll have a play tomorrow evening though and see if I get the same symptoms as you and if NFS is any better.

Considering you are the principle empowering agent, I am surprised you are not already doing what I have started doing and decrypting as a matter of "fit and forget" routine. Splitting the file requires planning - the recording cannot be watched on impulse. With auto-unprotect, and then unencrypt running at 5 minute intervals, a recording is ready to be shared no more than half an hour after it was recorded, with no user intervention (I know you know). It will be great when/if Humax fix the 4GB bug, but now I have started I will continue to decrypt as routine for flexibility, and continue to support network shares (even if Mirillis add DLNA functionality to Splash).

I would like to stick with SMB if it is possible to do so, for compatibility with Windows (I know I could have both SMB and NFS running, but as SMB is necessary for Windows and needs tuning to support the data rate it will serve in both situations). Conversation transferred to the Tuning Samba topic (click).

Thanks to Drutt for taking care of the networking housekeeping.

I've always wanted to be a PEA : )
Everything I've wanted to watch on impulse has been less than 4GB so far and if I ever decide to head to bed and watch something larger, it will be split and indexed by the time I've made a cup of tea to take with me.

Auto-mount saved me a visit to the lounge last night, I tried DLNA access but the server wasn't responding so I flipped to network share. Mysteriously, this morning, the server was responding again without a reboot - maybe the OTA schedule kicked it?

I have now had Network-Shares-Automount (NSA) 1.3 and WeIf 0.9.2 running for a week: No hanging, no re-boots - it all just works. I have a small Crucial Gizmo plugged into the front USB port where it is barely noticeable just to keep the shares active. I have 3 shares mapped to my D-Link 323 NAS box for music, photos & videos. The 323 turns the disks off but remains active. It doesn't support WOL but the wait while the disks spin up does not appear to impact the HDR. As a matter of course we archive films to the 323 using the remote where we subsequently view them on the HDR or a PC running VLC. So far everything has worked perfectly, no stuttering, no sound problems and because the side files get archived as well fast forward/reverse is available on the HDR. WebIf and NSA are the two "must have" enhancements to the HDR.

Thanks both to Drutt and Af123.

Good to hear its working well :) Credit should also go to xyz321, who I believe got samba / cifs / nfs working in the first place. My script is only a helper for that stuff...

I think raydon originally got the samba server working although I did tweak it later on to fix the large file support.

I tried so much to get this package working, not long after its release. In the end I gave up as I’m usually reluctant to ask for help.
After a few weeks, I decided to give it another go. I was still having problems and then I discovered it was my firewall that was blocking the connection between my p.c. and the box. That was strange as other operations between them were not blocked. It was an ICMP issue.

Not long after sorting out the firewall, I got it to work and decided to purchase a NAS. I chose the D-Link Sharecentre 320 as it was fairly cheap.
It then posed problems as I could not find a way to rename the volume_/s on the NAS and there were suggestions that it could not be renamed. Obviously the use of an under stroke in the volume name was an issue.
I finally found a way of overcoming that problem and I now see the benefits of the package.

I’d like to say thanks, as It appears to be the best feature of the many produced by those of you dedicated to doing the hard work that a lot of us benefit from.

Hi all, this is just a quick note to say "thanks" for this great package! I have been using the CF for quite a while, with webif, auto-unprotect, rs etc. I had not thought to dabble with mounting network shares etc, but then I noticed a tweet about this package and took the plunge. I must admit I didn't get it to work until reading *all* the pages of this thread, but hey. I've connected a NAS share, one directory is read only and another is r/w for moving stuff off the Humax using only the humax remote, over wifi.

I have not mounted the shares within "my videos", sounds like it causes too many problems...

One weird thing was that the first three usb flash drives I used to keep as a permanent plugin behind the box all caused the box to freeze on boot. Only when I put in a much newer one would it boot ok. Possibly they were all usb 1.0, not sure (the working one is 2.0).

This all provides a really useful set of features, so thanks again to the various people who's work and time has resulted in this ability.

Cheers all.

Sent from my Advent Vega using Tapatalk

I've been trying to get my setup to work. Sofar with no success!
I wonder if the Samba/CIFS setup I have is correct: namely in webif/service management I have Samba & CIFS as "on" in autostart up & status in both Humax's. Is that all for Samba/CIFS setup????

The setting up of the modsettings directories is where I really struggle, I cann't figure out how to do it, far too complicated particularly the bit about domain=???? etc. A simple explanation of where I type what is needed, do I just rename the default names provided? If so what do I rename for an HDR to HDR setup (both with recordings in Media/My Video)

Excellent Black Hole, but still cann't see the recordings in the shared directory from Humax1 looking at H2, but I can in webif.

I don't have a [SHARED] Humax2/My Video directory when using the Humax1.

The My Video directory has now disappeared in Webif????

I assume once you've edited the settings in modsettings it creates [SHARED]/Humax2/My Video....... in my case I don't get another directory inside Humax2 and therefore no shared videos on H2.

I've run modsettings on H2 looking at H1 and it hasn't even created a SHARED directory.
The settings I'm using are:
domain=WORKGROUP
folder=Media
host=192_168_1_166 or 163

Should the ShareFolder=off be set to 'on' perhaps (That didn't help)
but renaming back to off caused the H2 to lockup and when rebooted the SHARED/Humax2 directories had appeared but again like H1 no /My Video directory

Any ideas what's going on?:rolleyes:

I am trying (badly) to do the same thing. I can see the program I want to watch on the HD that was recorded on the HDR, but when I press play I get the message - The channel is scrambled or not available. I have tried changing password to 0000 but to no avail. I have tried rebooting but still no luck.

Back