New Update (w/c 05 May 2014)

Thank you Black Hole for picking up my mistake. You are of course correct - I must be more careful! As both firmware and CF are packaged together these days, I should be ok on your words of caution. Quite worrying to hear about random resetting - it just seemed a co-incidence with the latest OTA transmission and the 2am start time?

On four machines it has only happened to me once.

The CF and the standard Humax firmware are not packaged together; it is however the case that in some instances the differences between standard firmwares are in areas that the CF overwrites, therefore installing the CF effectively upgrades the standard firmware to a newer version.

If you read the upgrade table carefully (rather than assume you won't understand it - you will), it tells you where you can go from where you are.

Looks like I've already arrived! No need to go anywhere from where I am. - Came from Official 1.02.32 - Downloaded and installed CFW 2.23/1.03.12 Easy to assume that both Customised and Official Firmware are packaged together as the procedure states "this single step will install the Customised firmware and upgrade the Official firmware". Sorry for my simple thinking, and thank you for your input.

That shouldn't have worked. To go from 1.02.32 to 1.03.12+2.23 you should have needed to install 1.03.12 first.

Thanks for your info about AD, I have added it to Things Every...

Wiki custom firmware upgrade path document said:
Upgrading to CFW 2.23/1.03.12 (Customised Firmware 2.23 based on Humax Firmware 1.03.12)
Current Version / Procedure
Official 1.02.27
Official 1.02.28
Official 1.02.29
Official 1.02.32 / Download and install CFW 2.23/1.03.12
(There is no need to install Official 1.03.12 first, this single step will install the Customised firmware and upgrade the Official Firmware)
Link to page here. Installing the custom firmware does not update the kernel version, but I don't think this is significant with respect to the operation of the firmware.

Edit: I upgraded my machines from 1.03.12/ CFW 2.22 to 1.03.12/ CFW 2.23 by just installing the 1.03.12/ CFW 2.23 update, without any problems. However, according to the above document, I should have run the 'prepare for upgrade' diagnostic, installed official 1.03.12, then installed 1.03.12/ CFW 2.23. Is this really necessary? The same document says it is OK to go directly from 1.02.32/ CFW 2.2x or 1.03.06/ CFW 2.2x to 1.03.12/ CFW 2.23 in one step.

I appeared to be getting somewhere with them at the start of last year, then I got an e-mail stating that it must be a faulty HDR-FOX T2 and an offer of exchange. The email exchange had been dragging on and my work was occuping me so I shelved trying to get the fault recognised.
I have 4 HDR-FOX T2s and 1 HD-FOX and they are all the same i.e. SD AD OK on 1.02.20; SD AD not OK on later versions.
(The HD AD is slightly different in that HD AD had a seperate bug in 1.02.20 that was fixed for later versions but at the same time introduced the AD fade byte bug for both SD & HD.)

The AD fade byte bug is just about liveable on soaps because there is not usually much background sounds so the fade is set to be only slight. Films are an entirely different matter, as far as background sounds go, and because of the bug sometimes the AD is completely drowned and frequently is difficult to hear.

@Luke. Have you tried other channels, such as Barry at myhumax.org? Or have you contacted a charity for people with visual impairment? If you could get a charity interested and get them to write, Humax might investigate it properly to avoid the possibility of bad publicity.

I upgraded my machines from 1.03.12/ CFW 2.22 to 1.03.12/ CFW 2.23 by just installing the 1.03.12/ CFW 2.23 update, without any problems.
That should be fine.
The same document says it is OK to go directly from 1.02.32/ CFW 2.2x or 1.03.06/ CFW 2.2x to 1.03.12/ CFW 2.23 in one step.
I wouldn't expect that to be OK - 1.03.xx is significantly different from 1.02.xx in as much as it uses a completely new web browser for the TV Portal.

The second route is the one I travelled, and all seems well - including TV Portal. (I knew I would understand - #22 - now I'm not sure?)

That should be fine.

I wouldn't expect that to be OK - 1.03.xx is significantly different from 1.02.xx in as much as it uses a completely new web browser for the TV Portal.
Please feel free to correct me, but I presume that the information in the firmware upgrade paths page in the wiki is supplied by af123, with the page maintained by Ezra Pound? If this is true, while any document may contain typos, is it really the case that the information in the wiki page is as inaccurate as you suggest?

The page is correct - I maintain it. With the recent firmware versions (>= 1.02.20) the CFW necessarily bundles almost all of the official firmware with it. It doesn't include the kernel (yet) but we have since realised that the kernel is the same for most versions (just recompiled each time) although it has been patched for improved network performance in 1.03.xx. It also doesn't include the area of flash which was used to hold the development Sky Player apps and is used by the CFW flash packages, hence the need to prepare for an upgrade if you will be installing an official version as it will overwrite that area.

Is it time now then for me to refresh the kernel by downloading and installing the Official firmware 1.03.12 followed by CFW 2.23/1.03.12

@af123. Thanks for clearing that up so quickly. When you have a minute could you comment on my query in the edit of post #25? I presume it is fine to go straight from 1.03.12/ CFW2.22 to 1.03.12/ CFW2.23, but that isn't indicated in the table.

@af123. Thanks for clearing that up so quickly. When you have a minute could you comment on my query in the edit of post #25? I presume it is fine to go straight from 1.03.12/ CFW2.22 to 1.03.12/ CFW2.23, but that isn't indicated in the table.
Yes, that's fine. I've updated the table.

Sorry to reopen this thread but I'm having a problem related to CFW2.23. I had upgraded to 1.03.12 and CFW2.22 a few weeks back and everything worked fine.
However reading this thread I thought I would take the opportunity to go to CFW 2.23 and I downloaded and installed this ok. However I then noticed that the Portal wouldn't open and gave an error message. I then decided to remove the custom firmware portal upgrades which again seemed ok and I then had the original Humax portal back working fine. I have now tried several times to install the custom software 'New Portal' and 'Portal Extra 1' and although both seem to install only the latter appears on my installed package list and the 'New Portal' package isn't there.

Any ideas how to proceed. I quite like the look of the new portal and would prefer to have that if possible but at the moment nothing I have tried, including multiple reboots after each download or install seems to work.

The portals are incompatible. You can either have new-portal installed in 1.03.xx, or portal-xtra1 installed in 1.02.xx. I believe they are locked so that installing one uninstalls the other, but if the wrong one is installed it won't work and will prevent the standard portal working.

I suggest you read http://wiki.hummy.tv/wiki/Custom_TV_Portal.
You should not install portal_extra with new_portal.
EDIT: sorry crossed with BH

Thank you BH & HB for the quick replies but I'm still having problems. At the moment I have the custom software version 2.23 and 1.03.12 loaded and the original Humax portal works ok. However when I try and install the New Portal only from the available package list it says installed and greys out but it doesn't appear in the installed package list. I have not tried to load the other portal extra. Rebooting makes no difference.

I have also tried removing all custom software and gone back to a native 1.03.12 only, then reloaded the custom software and tried again but with the same result. I'm sure its something simple, (probably me I hear you cry), but I can't seem to figure out the problem.

I will keep trying but if you or anybody has any ideas please let me know.

Back