[redring] Show red LED ring when recording in standby + other options...

I've uploaded redring vesion 2 to the repository. It seems to be stable enough for everyone who has been testing it (thanks Brian, Ezra Pound & Scuttlebroom).

On thing to note - the configuration scheme is different to the last version so if you update to version 2 then you will need to go into the settings screen and change the options to suit your preference.

I've uploaded redring vesion 2 to the repository. It seems to be stable enough for everyone who has been testing it (thanks Brian, Ezra Pound & Scuttlebroom).

On thing to note - the configuration scheme is different to the last version so if you update to version 2 then you will need to go into the settings screen and change the options to suit your preference.
I have had no issues with it since installing it on my boxes last Saturday.:)

I have just upgraded from redring 2.00 to redring 2.0.0 and wondered if there have been any changes, or has it just been renumbered?

I have only noticed changes to the wording in the settings screen e.g. Constant VFD Display Brightness >> Override Display Brightness

I have only noticed changes to the wording in the settings screen e.g. Constant VFD Display Brightness >> Override Display Brightness
OK thanks I can see that now, although I think that the wording was better as it was previously in the test version.

OK thanks I can see that now, although I think that the wording was better as it was previously in the test version.

I think the logic goes like this :-
Turning on 'Constant' enabled it to be variable, which was confusing, so it was replaced by Override
VFD Display uses 'Display' twice also if you have to explain what VFD is, It's of little use

The only changes were to the version number (opkg considers 2.0.0 as newer than 2.00 so you beta testers didn't have any problems updating) and the wording on the settings screen as you've discussed.

I had redring 2.0.0 installed and began to notice that when the box was off the ring displayed a pale red colour. I changed all the settings to OFF and rebooted. The red still persisted when the box was off (not waiting to record).

I uninstalled the redring software, rebooted and found the the ring was still red when off. Rebooting was done via the remote and I did wait for the 'click'.

While the box was off, I turned off the power at the back and found that the red persisted for quite sometime before the ring went black. I then turned the power on at the back and immediately the ring became red.

I had sometime ago noticed that when I turned the box off via the remote, it first displayed a pale red and the went off as I heard the click and the ring was black.

Now I never see a black ring now.

Dim orange is the normal ring state when off, i.e. what the standard firmware does. You can only get a black ring in standby with the custom firmware and by configuring redring appropriately.

Sorry, I had got so used to seeing the black ring, I had forgotten that it was down to redring. Obviously, since updating I have configured it wrongly. Thanks for the prompt reply.

EDIT: Can I suggest (for people like me who forget 'Standby' is 'Off'):

When in Standby
LED ring ON/OFF? ON OFF
Brightness 0.....................................

Also in the Notes: Variable instead of Amber Brightness (to match with other entries)

EDIT: Can I suggest (for people like me who forget 'Standby' is 'Off'):

Also in the Notes: Variable instead of Amber Brightness (to match with other entries)

They are not the same
Standby = Supplied with power with timer and Remote sensor working
Off = Disconnected from the mains supply (or mains supply switched Off)

'Amber brightness' has a diferent function to the Blue and Red functions Above, the Blue and Red are new colours that were not there before, Amber brightness is changing the brightness of the existing Amber (Your pale red colour)

So, you just need 'When in standby, Override LED ring brightness = YES, 0%'

Well, having been reminded that the default is a dim amber and remembering some while ago a request to be able to turn off the ring totally, I am just wondering why we ended up with a brightness option. I would have thought a simple ON or OFF would give the choice to turn the amber ring on or off. However, I must admit, I have not read the whole thread (I will do - promise).

'When in standby, Override LED ring = YES/NO or ON/OFF' with the YES or the ON setting the brightness to zero. (I think it defaulted to 12%), would be more obvious, if indeed a brightness setting is a requirement.

I seem to remember the idea of turning off the ring was because it was an unnecessary waste. Adjusting the brightness has no effect?

It's all there to cater for the many disparate requests that came out of the woodwork. If there is a combination of settings which do what you want, that's good enough.

The previous of version of redring included an 'LED ring off in standby' setting which just set the brightness down to as close to zero as possible (same effect as setting the slider to the bottom in the new version). I don't know whether that actually saves power at all but the facility was for people who wanted their box to be dark in standby.

I have discovered a problem that I think is caused by Redring, If the Humax is switched to standby during a recording, the Humax goes into recording in standby correctly but will not auto wake-up in order to carry out another recording, also the 4:30am OTA search is suppressed

I have a test case set up now.. box should stop recording BBC News at 22:25 and should wake up to record traffic cops at 22:45... let's see!

Edit: Yep, didn't wake up..

Will test without redring next.

Back