[redring] Show red LED ring when recording in standby + other options...

The display wouldn't be long enough to show that without scrolling unless the channel names were fairly short.

TBH, I think it's pretty cool as it is! I never thought I would like a purple ring. Oooooh aaaaaaahhh missus!!!

1.09 adds a configurable level for the display when half awake or in standby (assuming power saving is off).

Just tested and it seems with power saving mode on the unit consumes less than 1W in energy, no clock display and a long startup time. With PS mode off the unit consumes 4W, clock display but also takes just as long to boot and still no WebIF.

So it looks like the only benefit of PS mode off is to keep your clock displayed (plus the tuner pass-through obviously..).

Power saving mode on was developed by Humax to meet the new standy power requirements e.g. less than 1 Watt, I think even with power saving = off, the power drawn is only about 1.5Watts (rather than 4Watts), it is very difficult to measure standby current accuratly due to power factors of less than 1 and sine wave distortion. Most power metres get it wrong e.g. too high

So it looks like the only benefit of PS mode off is to keep your clock displayed (plus the tuner pass-through obviously..).

Correct, those are the two differences between the two modes. If you don't use power saving mode then the clock is displayed but at around 11.5% brightness. Redring, as of v1.09, allows you to change that level.

Just tested and it seems with power saving mode on the unit consumes less than 1W in energy, no clock display and a long startup time. With PS mode off the unit consumes 4W, clock display but also takes just as long to boot and still no WebIF.

You seem to be looking at things another way, so based on your testing it seems that the ONLY benefit of PS mode on is to save about a measly 3 watts. This brings the disadvantages of No clock display or Aerial pass through. I know which option I'm going to stick with.;)

I noticed a stray "HD" icon on one of my boxes this morning. This was the first oddity that I have seen for a while, but when I brought it out of standby there was no "START SYSTEM" message, instead I got the following "e . . ." and then the usual "Cust FW 2.10" message.

I wonder if it would be possible for a "Fix blue ring brightness when out of standby?" and a "Fix recording/red ring brightness when out of standby" set of options... I'd like a dim blue when out of standby but a brilliant red when recording and as both status's are controlled by the single "Fix ring brightness when out of standby?" I'm limited to one setting.

I have just come back from Asia and I am probably still in Chinese mode for which I apologise. However, having completely removed all custom software and reinstalled all I thought I was doing fine until I came to redring. I had been congratulating af123 and the forum on making it simple to set up even though I had been away a while.

I found it not easy to marry the package notes with the redring settings. None of the names match and for someone who is a newbie or like me has missed many many changes, it is not easy to see which goes with which. I think I have it correct but will have to wait and see.

I am pretty basic in my settings, not needing to change display settings, wanting the ring off when not on, blue and purple when appropriate and an indication of recording when in standby.

I count 15 possible changes in the notes and 11 in the actual settings.

eg. Show Clock When Running - Enable clock while out of standby? Obviously identical so why the different wording and the need to re-read to be sure?

Sorry if I have missed something.

Welcome back to Blighty....

Thanks, I am very glad to be back :)

Wasted a lot of effort setting up remote control/downloading because a very short power outage stopped my remote access although when I returned the ring was blue. RS told me the box was last seen a few days after I left for Asia. Never mind as I learned a lot in the process.

I count 15 possible changes in the notes and 11 in the actual settings.

The Web-If settings menu has 5 single entries for a switch plus slider, which are covered separately in the WiKi, As you will appreciate with 11 switches and 5 sliders, some of which control more than a single feature, it is quite complicated to explain

Back