Setting up wired network help HDR Fox Freeview

If you are going to access the humax files via Samba (as your post #88 seems to infer), then the file must be decrypted (indicated by the Dec icon next to file on Webif).
If the Dec icon is not there then it hasn't been decrypted.
I suggest you select a file (one with the green circle and three dots next to it) ant under "opt+" select decrypt. This may take a few minutes to process.
Once complete the Dec icon will show against file.
Once this has been achieved, you should be able to play that file on you PC using VLC via Samba.

If alternatively, you use DLNA then you will not need the files decrypted (HiDef files will need to be unprotected though - green circle/3 dots).
The humax DLNA server access on PC is not accessed via file lists (as is case with Samba). You will need to tell VLC to look for the server (as I do not use VLC on PC I can't advise).
One of my earlier responses told you how to find it via windows network (again I can't remember exact selections for XP) but in windows 7 once in File Explorer (My Comuter, My Documents or whatever, you should find Network near bottom of "library list" on left. Click this and it should show "HDR-Fox T2 Media Server ..." In the list.
That'll indicate whether PC can see DLNA server.

I have the other icon but not the dec

Please open the 'WebIF' (the web interface) for your humax HDR on your PC.

On the 'Browse' page, navigate to a programme file you would like to play on your PC.

The file must have the DLNA indexed icon by it (green circle containing 3 'dots') for decryption to be possible.

If you do have this DLNA indexed icon but do not have the green 'Dec' icon then the file can be decrypted - click on OPT+ at the end of the line and choose Decrypt.

Then click on the yellow rectangle 'Perform decryption' and wait until it has processed.

I have done as per the last information , I have chosen a sd file at random .with green icon ! decrypted to get the dec icon. When I double click to play the file. As before lots of hd activity
vlc icon comes up but nothing happens

Just to help our analysis, have you looked on the PC at the Network Places to see if the Hummy server shows up? As per second part of my previous entry.

I have done as per the last information , I have chosen a sd file at random .with green icon ! decrypted to get the dec icon. When I double click to play the file. As before lots of hd activity
vlc icon comes up but nothing happens

Where are you clicking to play? Within Network Places/Samba ... or ... Web-IF Media Details?

With a Windows XP and Internet Explorer set-up I cannot play files within Web-IF because I do not have the right VLC plug-in. Clicking 'Play' just gives a blank screen.
However files play fine via the Samba route, or by choosing a file from within VLC.

Three methods to try:

Go to 'Network Places',
Click on 'My Video on Samba HDR-Fox-T2'
Navigate to the same programme recording.
Of the three or four component files (.hmt, .nts, .thm and .ts) Highlight the .ts file,
Click on the File menu (top left) or right click for the context menu and choose 'Play with VLC media player' and VLC should open and play successfully.

OR

Open VLC
Click on 'Media' menu (top right)
Choose 'Open File ...'
Click on 'My Network Places' from column on left
Click on 'My Video on Samba HDR-Fox-T2'
Navigate to the file
Highlight the file
Click 'Open'

OR

Open Web-IF
Open 'Browse' and navigate to the file
Double click on it to open 'Media Details'
There is a line 'DLNA URL' (something like: http://192.168.1.xx:9000/web/media/22.TS)
Copy that line
Open VLC
Click on Media menu (top right)
Choose 'Stream'
Click on the 'Network' tab
Paste the DLNA URL into the box which says 'Please enter a network URL'
Go to the dropdown box at the bottom which says 'Stream' and select 'Play'

Not tried to follow deft blue yet but in network places, the "In previous reply."various samba humax icons have disappeared there is nothing related to Humax.
I'll print of the last instrctions and try to follow later

Re Delftblue suggestion . the last option/stream via vlc works. There is no Humax in network place ,nor can I create one.
Seems I need a 3rd party server?

Re Delftblue suggestion . the last option/stream via vlc works. There is no Humax in network place ,nor can I create one.
Seems I need a 3rd party server?
You do not need a third party server.
The hummy has it's own DLNA server.
The PC would only need a server if you were trying to play videos (stored on PC) on another device.
The server sits on the device that has the videos, you use a client (eg vlc) on the device from which you wish to watch them.

By the way, windows XP can be a bit hit and mis with finding stuff on the network when boxes have been switched off and on.You have to give it a bit of time to discover things.

Re booted a few times now ,I can't add nor see humax as a network place, sharing and server are turned on in the humax.
My notepad shows up every time on the wireless network

Having messed around with the Virtual XP environment on my windows 7 PC, I'm not sure how you can find the DLNA servers from within the Windows XP environment. I don't think it lists Media Devices under Network Places.
Anybody know how?

My notepad shows up every time on the wireless network
Couple of questions:
What system is running on the notepad?

Is the wifi network on the same ip range as the wired, there isn't normally any reason why it shouldn't be (for a home network). If so can you see the hummy from there?

Can't remember, but has anyone asked whether bwizz's computer and Hummy are in the same workgroup? W7 will sort stuff out if they are not, but I'm not certain about XP.

Ignoring 'Network Places' and Workgroup settings completely, you ought to be able to type the following into the 'Start - Run' box (i.e. click the Windows Start button and select 'Run' or else hold down the Windows 'Start' key and press 'R') and get a result if Samba is working.

\\xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx

where xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx is the Humax IP address. Note the two backslashes, NOT forward slashes.

Can't remember, but has anyone asked whether bwizz's computer and Hummy are in the same workgroup? W7 will sort stuff out if they are not, but I'm not certain about XP.
I don't believe anybody has asked this. As trev infers, this is important for accessing via Samba on XP.
I was thinking he might be better if he could get DLNA working, in which case workgroup doesn't seem to matter.

Re Delftblue suggestion . the last option/stream via vlc works.

Something worked!?
A recording made on the Humax played on the PC via the network?

One small ray of light then ... :)
This proves the set up has achieved some kind of successful connection.
Phew.

I was thinking he might be better if he could get DLNA working, in which case workgroup doesn't seem to matter.

NB to Harvey: The method that worked was the one that used the DLNA URL to play the file .... presumably this is relevant ... but we are getting to the limit of my knowledge comfort zone ... so ... I don't know where to go next.

Ignoring 'Network Places' and Workgroup settings completely, you ought to be able to type the following into the 'Start - Run' box (i.e. click the Windows Start button and select 'Run' or else hold down the Windows 'Start' key and press 'R') and get a result if Samba is working.

\\xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx

where xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx is the Humax IP address. Note the two backslashes, NOT forward slashes.
I haven't seen that one before - nice one

It's a useful diagnostic tool because it strips out any reliance on Workgroup settings etc. being correct and hence being able to see devices via their 'friendly names' in My Network Places.

The '\\' defines the start of a UNC path (Universal Naming Convention) and is followed either by a server name (if resolvable by DNS) or else the IP address itself. The result should be a list of everything shared by that server on the network, which should be the 'media' folder in the Humax case. You can drill down to any shared folder directly like this i.e. '\\xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx\media' would also be valid for the Humax.

Back