Setting up wired network help HDR Fox Freeview

That's on 2.1.3. It just hangs when searching for available DLNA servers (of which I have two HDRs and a Netgear ReadyNAS)

I have a suspicion that trying VLC 2.1.3 may have caused the DLNA server on my ReadyNAS to crash (though everything else about it still worked). Neither XMBC nor my subsequent test of VLC v2.0.1 could see it until it was rebooted. It has never crashed in this way before, hence my suspicion of the latest VLC version(s).

I have a suspicion that trying VLC 2.1.3 may have caused the DLNA server on my ReadyNAS to crash (though everything else about it still worked). Neither XMBC nor my subsequent test of VLC v2.0.1 could see it until I rebooted the NAS (although they could both see my HDRs). This server has never crashed before, hence my suspicion of the latest VLC version(s).

Hmmm .... so VLC version 2.0.0 doesn't play nicely with HiDef but 2.0.1 will ...

and VLC 2.0.0 and 2.0.1 have no problem finding available DLNA servers.

but VLC version 2.1.3 seems to have a problem with DLNA servers ....

(for anyone else following this: Open VLC > left-hand column, click arrow by 'Local Network' > click 'Universal Plug'n'Play', any available servers should appear)

Though presumably it is VLC 2.1.3 that the OP has (as it was newly downloaded) - and did report success in playing a file with VLC using a copied and pasted DLNA URL.
(Method 3: http://hummy.tv/forum/threads/setting-up-wired-network-help-hdr-fox-freeview.5059/page-6#post-64948)
:confused:

Ah well, after 140+ posts ... are we getting anywhere?!

Hmmm .... so VLC version 2.0.0 doesn't play nicely with HiDef but 2.0.1 will ...

I wondered about that, being only a 0.0.1 revision.

People's mileage may vary, but all I can say is that I've just tried tonight's EastEnders (in HD), on 2.0.1 and all appears fine.

People's mileage may vary, but all I can say is that I've just tried tonight's EastEnders (in HD), on 2.0.1 and all appears fine.

If it works, it works! :)

I wasn't questioning your results at all.

A while ago, I concluded 'network mileage' wasn't the issue here, because paradoxically, on our set-up, VLC 2.0.0 plays HiDef recordings better when its a file over the network than it does with a local file on the PC in question. It may simply be the PC is too ancient. However I don't need to play HiDef files on that PC, other than for experiments, so I didn't pursue it.

If there's someone else out there with VLC 2.0.0, please test a Hi Def file for us! It may be that my results are erroneous.

Hi , I 've just noticed that my notepad "XP" can access the humax box and has the expected humax icons in network places, I can't play anything probably because I don't have vlc on it. But it gives me a comparison tool. Not tried the last suggestion yet but I'll try it and a few other ideas and report back

My last post re huamx playing via my xp notepad seems to have gone missing. I now seem to have objective one cracked . ie My desktop pc. I restored via a norton ghost back up to prior to this issue . "beginning of May" Then I went to network devices , add a network place, This ten gave me working Humax/samba network icons.
chose a sd file at random , It loads and runs via my gom player. "I had not round to re installing vlc"
Early days yet re getting the humax to play pc files but I have activated share in media player ,so I'll report back when I have checked.
In the interim I'll not change anything to see if there is consistency

Update , gone back to rpb424 post 115.. Humax files work ok from run/ network address. Not got round to re installing vlc yet but , sd files work via my gom player

I have downloaded and installed vlc 2.1 . can't find 2.0. Not sure how to set up to run within vlc but I tried setting the network stream to humax address in my case http://192.168.1.65/ And still won't play in the humax program. Tried XMBC in the interim "pevious post" I can play some files from my humax address via xmbc "under music tab" but the program is buggy and keeps locking Trying to follow your instructions guys. but not clear to me what is happening

The Humax is not actually streaming anything, so that won't work.

On XMBC try the following, assuming you have turned 'Content Share' on in the menu on your Humax. You will also need to have the auto unprotect package running to be able to view HD content, but for the moment just try playing something in SD if you have it.

From the Home screen, select 'Videos'
Select 'Add Videos'
Select 'Browse'
Select 'UPnP Devices'
Select your Humax
Select 'My Contents'
Select 'My Video'
Click on 'OK'
Click on 'OK' again.

At this point you have added the Humax's 'My Video' folder as an available source under XBMC's video menu. From now on you should be able to directly click on that link and go straight into the list of Humax folders and programmes available. Just click on any programme and it should play.

Ok thanks I'll re install XMBC and try as suggested.
latest update with whats happening or not , Seem that in the case of both XP laptop and desktop , when I first add the humax as a network device it works, but after a reboot the network icons are still there but won't play even from run\\address

Does the hummy have a fixed IP address, if not each time you turn it off and back on it could get a different address.
You need to fix it either via settings in the router (preferred) or via the hummy itself (outside DHCP range).

I'd guess that given that something worked previously on 192.168.1.65 then that is probably an unusual address to have set manually and is more likely to be DHCP assigned.

Either way this would only be an issue for Samba access. The exact IP address in use would be irrelevant for DLNA purposes as the server always advertises it's existence by name.

I'd be inclined to set the Humax to a static IP if possible with numbers like the following:-

IP address 192.168.1.200 (in the hope that .200 is outside of the DHCP assignment range)
Netmask 255.255.255.0
Gateway 192.168.1.1
DNS 192.168.1.1

Then you'll always guarantee to reach it at 192.168.1.200.

Agreed but run\\address would be affected. As referred to in last sentence of Bwizz last entry.
He also refers to the network icons, on XP my network does mot seem to show DLNA servers. So a change of IP address would need to be rescanned ...

Yes it would be affected, but I'm getting confused by the terminology 'Network Icons'. Are we talking about Samba shares or DLNA servers?

I think that's the point, the discussion keeps flipping.
I believed we were homing in on a DLNA solution using xmbc (or vlc version 2.0.1).
However even this approach did involve using the IP address for some tests - direct access to the DLNA URL.
This obviously shouldn't be necessary once xmbc is installed and running properly.

Using XP ,I click My network places then I see. BT Hub media gateway blue icon , and 5 other s starts with Drive 1 on samba hdrfoxt2 + music+photo+ video+media
Humax
These were playing relevant files after I first created a network place. now I get message not available etc.
Same on laptop. Not done anymore yet

But they are the SAMBA access not DLNA, the solutions that people are trying to get you to adapt are DLNA and XP does not show these servers in my network places.
I suggest you ignore samba for now and follow either the xmbc or vlc(2.0.1) approaches that have been proposed.
It gives a cleaner solution without the need to decrypt everything.

Back