Setting up wired network help HDR Fox Freeview

Agreed, forget all about Samba and anything to do with Network Places for the time being if all you want to do is view programmes. DLNA will suit your needs. If we can prove that DLNA is working stably then we can go back and revisit Samba, but at the moment its confusing because we're flipping between two different approaches all the time.

I now have XMBC configured as per instructions "Thanks" It would be great if I could get the Humax to see my pc media files . With XMBC running , I get network not found message on TV via humax. It would be interesting to know why my network keeps losing the humax in per my last post 158 crikey ,that many!

Not re booted yet but closed and re opened XMBC and video files still there. Of Now for evening , great work guys thanks. Brian UK

To see PC files on hummy you need to get a DLNA server running on the PC. I don't know enough about xmbc to say whether it has a server capability.
Anyway, if it doesn't, I'm sure that some members of this community will be quick to recommend a suitable one.
Once the PC has a DLNA server running that is the point at which you need to look for the PC on the hummy.
Beware the hummy supports only certain video and audio file formats.

Over the week end I have been experimanting to find why my xp network keeps losing the humax, the humax ip address is contant at 192.168.1.65 my pc is XXX.XXX.X.64
tried fixing my pc manually at this address. no go! My wifi router has 3 variable ranges , It is currently on 192.168.1.64 To 192.168.1.254.
It has a DHCP Server which is on . tried of . I tried fixing the ip address at 192.168.1.63 ,still Humax files can be accessed but won't run.
Can someone tell me how to set up the xmbc server

To fix your ip addresses, either:
Fix them on each device saying tot to use DHCP AND give them IP addresses outside the DHCP range, in your case fix them lower than 64.
Best solution, if you router supports it, is to tel the router to always allocate specific addresses to selected boxes - you need to check you router guide for this, it's usually in the same area as the DHCP parameters.
You mention turning the DHCP switch off, but you don't mention which component you were referring to. You do not need to turn it off on the router.

Hi,It was DHCP in the router. Don't think my router supports your suggestion, Only option is 3 different ranges of address's. In the interim I'll wait to see if anyone can help set up the xmbc server. I'd prefer not to use it as there a few niggles with it .locking up . I was using serviio but it stopped working after a while

Oh dear...

These are known to be picky about what can see what and do what. It could explain all your problems (and all our inability to provide solutions).

If you turn off DHCP in the router, you will be lucky if you can connect anything unless there is another DHCP server on the network. Where will stuff get its IP address from? Don't do it Unless you do have another DHCP server which seems unlikely.
Do you have a software firewall running on your PC? I can't find an answer to my previous query ref firewalls.

Over the week end I have been experimanting to find why my xp network keeps losing the humax, the humax ip address is contant at 192.168.1.65 my pc is XXX.XXX.X.64
tried fixing my pc manually at this address. no go! My wifi router has 3 variable ranges , It is currently on 192.168.1.64 To 192.168.1.254.
It has a DHCP Server which is on . tried off . I tried fixing the ip address at 192.168.1.63 ,still Humax files can be accessed but won't run.

I'm wondering whether NetBIOS has anything to do with all this, but this is not something I properly understand.
(even with the help of http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NetBIOS)

Is the PC connection to the router wired or wireless? Is that connection generally stable?

If you have set a static address for your XP PC but it is not working reliably, it might be worth checking the 'NetBIOS setting'.

Go to:
> XP Control panel
> Network connections
> Wireless Network Connection
> Properties
> 'General' tab
> scroll down to Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)
> highlight and click 'Properties'
> 'General' tab (where you fill in the required static address, subnet mask and gateway)

Then

> Click 'Advanced'
> Click on 'WINS' tab
> Check NetBIOS setting
It is usually set to 'Default' - with the message "If static address is used or the DHCP server does not provide NetBIOS setting, enable NetBIOS over TCP/IP"

So if the green blob is in 'Default' then click on the option below, and move the green blob to 'Enable NetBIOS over TCP/IP' instead. :)
Re-start everything and see if that setting works better. And if it doesn't, then reverse setting. :(

The Ip address net bios was set to default, Tried as suggested. still can't be sure whats happening as the wireless link comes and goes

Anon. Still not happy with the wireless network ,Thought I would reconnect the wired link As an experiment I have tried a crossover cable instead of the normal pach cat 5 cable. Result constant no connectivity icon, when both pc and humax are set to auto address .This is with the wireless dongle removed at the Humax end?
Next move ,As suggested I will try to get hold of a better quality generic wireless hub

Directly connecting the two will result in no address as with "auto address" you need a DHCP server to supply the addresses (usually a function of your router).
If you are going to directly connect PC to Hummy you will need to set IP addresses manually on both.

Thanks Harvey B . I set a manual address of my pc not done the humax box yet ,Now I get "connected icon" on taskbar but still can't see humax box files via windows network

You need to set the IP address at both ends, in this situation.
As to seeing the hummy files, what are you using to look at them?
You will need one of:
- DLNA client on PC
- Samba on Hummy
- FTP on PC
- Telnet

Also you say you still cannot see humax box files via network.
In my response above i have assumed you are still using a direct PC-Hummy ethernet connection NOT a network per se.

Back