Setting up wired network help HDR Fox Freeview

Nice explanation, but I don't think that would reveal the DLNA service (which is what UPnP Inspector does).

No worse than Windows 7 in my experience.
I beg to differ, I found that XP could take hours (or days sometimes) to recognise a new network resource. Win7 rarely takes more than a few minutes.

Also, XP does not have a native DLNA browser so you will not 'see' a DLNA resource unless you install additional software such as uPnP inspector mentioned above or XBMC which I found worked well for viewing Humax files. That said, the method of using the URL given by the WebIF was then and is still (Win7 and Android) my preferred method for playing Humax files. It seems to give the most reliable playback short of browsing via a Samba share which doesn't allow you to see the programme description at the same time.

Nice explanation, but I don't think that would reveal the DLNA service (which is what UPnP Inspector does).

It was not my intention to answer that. There have been two two issues going on here (DLNA and Samba), and it still doesn't seem clear whether or not either are working properly. I was merely providing a way of proving whether Samba was working. The discussion had mentioned Workgroup settings, which don't strictly need to be correct dependent on how you try to access via Samba, hence the UNC path suggestion.

I beg to differ, I found that XP could take hours (or days sometimes) to recognise a new network resource. Win7 rarely takes more than a few minutes.
We differ. However my experience mainly relates to Windows connecting to Linux servers running Samba and which when they boot will attempt to become the workgroup master . My beef with Windows 7 is that it more often rescans the network even when the resource I want has been continuously available.

There have been two two issues going on here (DLNA and Samba), and it still doesn't seem clear whether or not either are working properly.

I think we have established that DLNA is working as the OP was able to use the WebIF link to play files via VLC, only problem is XP (unlike later versions) does not let you browse DLNA resources without extra software so it is just invisible.

Browsing the samba share seems to be a remaining problem to which your method should help diagnose things.

But wouldn't it be better if the OP were to use an appropriate tool to browse, select, play via DLNA. It would then only be necessary to ensure auto_unprotect was running on CF, assuming HiDef recordings are to be played as well.

I had a version of VLC that let me do that some time ago but I haven't been able to get it to browse DLNA since then - not sure what changed but I THINK VLC regressed the feature.

Isn't the download function in webif opt+ list intended for playing files on PC, etc.
If I remember correctly:
- associate .ts files with your media player (eg vlc) on the PC.
- use your web Browser to access webif on the hummy.
- navigate to the file you wish to play (in media list)
- for the chosen file select opt+ >> download.
It should immediately invoke your media player on the PC (vlc?) and start playing.

It effectively does what delftblue suggested, but in a more user friendly manner.

I'm not sure if there wasn't something that you needed to set in the browser options to make it work properly.

EDIT: here it is, you need to have the vlc plugin ... http://hummy.tv/forum/index.php?thr...ctly-from-the-Humax-via-a-PC.4871/#post-62372

The VLC app (as opposed to the browser plugin) still supports DLNA playback (in that there is a UPnP entry for it in the playlist window), but I've had no success using it in the latest version, though it certainly used to work.

Might be better off installing the Windows version of XMBC - that 'just works' with DLNA in my experience.

Ignoring 'Network Places' and Workgroup settings completely, you ought to be able to type the following into the 'Start - Run' box (i.e. click the Windows Start button and select 'Run' or else hold down the Windows 'Start' key and press 'R') and get a result if Samba is working.

\\xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx - where xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx is the Humax IP address. Note the two backslashes, NOT forward slashes.

Thank you for this tip rpb424.
I have Samba working, and this process takes me straight to the Humax HDR, and to a navigable file structure, which will play with VLC.

I can also arrive at the same destination by typing ' \\xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx - (where xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx is the Humax IP address) ' into the address boxes of both Internet Explorer and Windows Explorer.

So, this gives several routes for arriving at the target.

-------------------------------------

@bwizz - re: the network issue: I find the following useful sometimes, to find out the details of successful network connections.

Start > Run > type cmd in the 'Open:' box > OK > then type arp -a and hit 'Return/Enter' key.

Should produce a list of the available network devices, showing the Internet Address (IP) and Physical Address (MAC) for each one.

The VLC app (as opposed to the browser plugin) still supports DLNA playback (in that there is a UPnP entry for it in the playlist window), but I've had no success using it in the latest version, though it certainly used to work.

Just to clarify, which version was that?

The very latest version of VLC appears to be 2.1.3 or 2.1.4

(To confirm - DLNA playback works fine with the original 'VLC media player 2.0.0 Twoflower')

That's on 2.1.3. It just hangs when searching for available DLNA servers (of which I have two HDRs and a Netgear ReadyNAS)

Back