[webif] Web interface

0.9.11 (10/06/2012)

• Add experimental support for stripping unecessary frames from recordings to save space;
  • Show simpler OPT+ menu for non-native recordings;
  • Show Humax software version on front page (with CFW 2.11 and above);
  • Fix errors in rendering page footer on non-CGI pages.
The first feature was inspired by Luke and xyz321 (see http://hummy.tv/forum/threads/is-now-the-time-to-buy.1741/). Clicking on Strip in the OPT+ menu lets you remove portions of a recording that aren't required and can account for up to 20% of its space.

It is still experimental but I have reduced the size of my infamous Octonauts collection by over 3GB!
Please don't remove the original copy of the recording until you've confirmed you're happy with the smaller version.
The process does adjust the index (NTS) file accordingly and trick play seems to continue to work properly but high-speed FF/Rewind can sometimes result in some artefacts occurring that don't appear in the original - hopefully something I can fix in a future version.

strip.png

I'm sure it will come along. How do you think I processed all of my Octonauts episodes? : )

Just a quick Note about the new 'Strip' feature. Don't strip a previously stripped program as it appears to hang with stripping = 0% (even thought it does complete in the same time) and results in a zero size *.nts file, also the new *.ts file doesn't play. I purposely tried this on a file I was going to delete anyway, because sooner or later someone will do this accidentally.

Just a quick Note about the new 'Strip' feature. Don't strip a previously stripped program as it appears to hang with stripping = 0% (even thought it does complete in the same time) and results in a zero size *.nts file, also the new *.ts file doesn't play. I purposely tried this on a file I was going to delete anyway, because sooner or later someone will do this accidentally.
Thanks. The progress bar is tied into the size of the NTS file so that all makes sense. I will do something to address this!

Very minor thing I just spotted on webif 0.9.11 main page (bottom right)...

Web interface version: 0.9.11
Custom firmware version: 2.10
Humax Version: ?.??.??

EDIT: I've just seen the thread about upgrading to 2.11

0.9.11-1 uses a slightly faster strip process and does not allow stripping of already stripped recordings.

On the Schedule page and on the Remote Scheduler, is it possible when you delete an event that it is removed from the scheduled events list and only shown in the pending list?
Thanks very much.

That's not how it works. Commands are queued in the pending list until the box is rebooted to incorporate them into the schedule database. Until that reboot, the schedule remains as shown.

On the Schedule page and on the Remote Scheduler, is it possible when you delete an event that it is removed from the scheduled events list and only shown in the pending list?
Yes, good idea. I just deleted 6 things from the list myself this evening and it wasn't easy to keep track of where I was up to.

That's not how it works. Commands are queued in the pending list until the box is rebooted to incorporate them into the schedule database. Until that reboot, the schedule remains as shown.
The entries in the schedule list could be marked in some way so you can tell that they're pending deletion.

With regard to the strip function, the final report includes a line similar to
Code:
Saved: 3351691/4000256 packets (83.79%) - 613.71 MiB
This suggests that the new file is 613.7MiB but that figure is the amount that has been removed.

Very interesting. Engineering management says how about a background shrink utility, much like unencrypt?
I think being able to mark folders for automatic stripping would make more sense (and I'm already planning automatic dedup folders and possibly automatic decrypt). For things that you watch and delete in a fairly short time frame, why expend the effort on stripping them?

Does anyone have any thoughts on why Humax are keeping these EPG data in recordings? It certainly seems to make no difference when they are removed (or won't when I get the index file sorted properly).

Laziness?
They are stripping other frame types out though.. We know that they aren't looking at the EPG data during a recording, I wonder if this is a side effect of the EPG code not being interested in them? It feels like a bug though especially as earlier Humax models don't do this.

Yes, good idea. I just deleted 6 things from the list myself this evening and it wasn't easy to keep track of where I was up to.

To minimise the number of entries which need deleting it would be useful to set the auto rs using an 'exact' search string, e.g. Silk the other day returned some things on qvc which had silk in the title. I changed the entry to just BBC1 afterwards. Also, it would be really good to just search the epg on your favourites channels only.

I've just uploaded webif 0.9.11-2 which fixes the FF/RW problem with recordings which have had their EPG data stripped.
I've also renamed the context menu option from strip to squeeze, changed the icon and updated the text on the following page.
It also fixes the problem that Ezra found and will tell you if a file has already been squeezed (although the new version also doesn't create zero-byte files if it somehow ends up running)

Back