I must be stupid but I cannot find a way to run fixdisk. I have enabled maintenance mode. Do I need a telnet client (e.g. Putty) on the HDR IP? Reading the instructions it sounds like this is built into the web interface. I see
so presumably one types fixdisk somewhere, but nothing works.
...with removing and cloning the HD to one of same size, in another PC with two SAA interfaces, using Clonezilla or dd. It is a 1TB HD.
Can fixdisk be run somehow from the web interface GUI? Some of the posts are very old. I see Diag / Maintenance Mode and presumably one goes from there. I...
Just run fixdisk from WebIF >> Diagnostics. Full instructions HERE.
SSDs are a waste of £/GB in a HDR-FOX, but you can if you want (particularly with modern SSDs – old ones didn't have the necessary write longevity for PVR use with a live pause capability). Just fit it and format in-box...
An interesting admission! Having previously been gainfully employed by the BBC and Channel 4 the expression "It's only television!" is one I'm familiar with. Now everything's working again I'm looking forward to the second half of last year's Crucible snooker and various TPTV series I'd gotten...
I would have given up if this much work was needed to repair one of my discs, after all it's only telly and I can stream on catchup most things I recorded recently anyway. Fortunately fixdisk has always worked for me.
...need a point-and-shoot solution.
As to whether anyone understands what they do, clearly some people do! Being a Linux utility, fsck is well documented, and (being a script) fixdisk can be read and understood if you want to.
* I dislike using absolute terms, but I believe I'm on safe ground...
...me up-and-running and allow me to clone the failing hard drive and manually patch 7 of the 8 sectors that didn't copy across.
By contrast fixdisk and fsck are much more complex tools - does anyone really have a handle on what they do? (This is something I'll research with MS Copilot when I...
You're welcome. Installing CF on a spare Humax and trying fixdisk was always going to be one of the tools in my arsenal - but other work was needed first and I wanted a better insight into what I was doing before trying it - if for no other reason than to better deal with the ensuing...
Quite so.
But how he came to the conclusion that it was inadequate before having used it, whereas other tools were deemed adequate, still hasn't been explained.
By at least trying to use fixdisk, its bugs came to immediate attention and improvement, so thank you for that. If people choose not to use a tool because of perceived inadequacies, no progress gets made.
...I still had the tendency to interpret this as the end sector - and was corrected. Initially, Copilot thought the template LBA 0 written by fixdisk (before it exited) was nonsense as it was taking the table start bytes as being at 01*0, rather than 01*E. I was happy to correct it.
I had to...
When I ran fixdisk on the failing HDD it detected an error at LBA 0 and succeeded in re-writing LBA 0 (to a new, healthy physical sector). However, it wrote a template LBA 0 not the original contents of LBA 0 (which were irrecoverable). Fine as far as it went, but its partition table didn't...
...this particular case study but I’m happy to share the summary in the hope it will help others - and save them a great deal of work.
As for fixdisk, as I expected it proved not to be the panacea some think it is; I ran it twice (on the original failing HDD and the clone) and both times it...
...custom firmware got good enough to know that it was too late for a warranty claim. There were nearly 100 bad sectors the first time I ran fixdisk, it took several runs over a week to get it clean. It then limped on for years losing around a sector per month. Shortly before covid the rate...
Me again.
Last night I finally had an opportunity to run fixdisk and this is what I found when it finished:
Please select option: fixdisk
Any additional options...
Having created a clone of the failing disc for safety, I would then have run fixdisk on the original disc not the copy. Unix filesystems have backup copies of key filing system structures (as do Windows filesystems) and fixdisk can copy those backup copies back to the main locations once the...
A point of agreement is that the first step was to create a clone of the failing HDD, yes? I did that. Maybe I'm missing something, but surely then slavishly using fixdisk wouldn't have repaired the sectors that didn't, for whatever reason, copy across?
I must be stupid but I cannot find a way to run fixdisk. I have enabled maintenance mode. Do I need a telnet client (e.g. Putty) on the HDR IP? Reading the instructions it sounds like this is built into the web interface. I see
so presumably one types fixdisk somewhere, but nothing works.
...with removing and cloning the HD to one of same size, in another PC with two SAA interfaces, using Clonezilla or dd. It is a 1TB HD.
Can fixdisk be run somehow from the web interface GUI? Some of the posts are very old. I see Diag / Maintenance Mode and presumably one goes from there. I...
Just run fixdisk from WebIF >> Diagnostics. Full instructions HERE.
SSDs are a waste of £/GB in a HDR-FOX, but you can if you want (particularly with modern SSDs – old ones didn't have the necessary write longevity for PVR use with a live pause capability). Just fit it and format in-box...
An interesting admission! Having previously been gainfully employed by the BBC and Channel 4 the expression "It's only television!" is one I'm familiar with. Now everything's working again I'm looking forward to the second half of last year's Crucible snooker and various TPTV series I'd gotten...
I would have given up if this much work was needed to repair one of my discs, after all it's only telly and I can stream on catchup most things I recorded recently anyway. Fortunately fixdisk has always worked for me.
...need a point-and-shoot solution.
As to whether anyone understands what they do, clearly some people do! Being a Linux utility, fsck is well documented, and (being a script) fixdisk can be read and understood if you want to.
* I dislike using absolute terms, but I believe I'm on safe ground...
...me up-and-running and allow me to clone the failing hard drive and manually patch 7 of the 8 sectors that didn't copy across.
By contrast fixdisk and fsck are much more complex tools - does anyone really have a handle on what they do? (This is something I'll research with MS Copilot when I...
You're welcome. Installing CF on a spare Humax and trying fixdisk was always going to be one of the tools in my arsenal - but other work was needed first and I wanted a better insight into what I was doing before trying it - if for no other reason than to better deal with the ensuing...
Quite so.
But how he came to the conclusion that it was inadequate before having used it, whereas other tools were deemed adequate, still hasn't been explained.
By at least trying to use fixdisk, its bugs came to immediate attention and improvement, so thank you for that. If people choose not to use a tool because of perceived inadequacies, no progress gets made.
...I still had the tendency to interpret this as the end sector - and was corrected. Initially, Copilot thought the template LBA 0 written by fixdisk (before it exited) was nonsense as it was taking the table start bytes as being at 01*0, rather than 01*E. I was happy to correct it.
I had to...
When I ran fixdisk on the failing HDD it detected an error at LBA 0 and succeeded in re-writing LBA 0 (to a new, healthy physical sector). However, it wrote a template LBA 0 not the original contents of LBA 0 (which were irrecoverable). Fine as far as it went, but its partition table didn't...
...this particular case study but I’m happy to share the summary in the hope it will help others - and save them a great deal of work.
As for fixdisk, as I expected it proved not to be the panacea some think it is; I ran it twice (on the original failing HDD and the clone) and both times it...
...custom firmware got good enough to know that it was too late for a warranty claim. There were nearly 100 bad sectors the first time I ran fixdisk, it took several runs over a week to get it clean. It then limped on for years losing around a sector per month. Shortly before covid the rate...
Me again.
Last night I finally had an opportunity to run fixdisk and this is what I found when it finished:
Please select option: fixdisk
Any additional options...
Having created a clone of the failing disc for safety, I would then have run fixdisk on the original disc not the copy. Unix filesystems have backup copies of key filing system structures (as do Windows filesystems) and fixdisk can copy those backup copies back to the main locations once the...
A point of agreement is that the first step was to create a clone of the failing HDD, yes? I did that. Maybe I'm missing something, but surely then slavishly using fixdisk wouldn't have repaired the sectors that didn't, for whatever reason, copy across?
This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.