1.02.27 - Reasons Not To Be Cheerful

oijonesey

Hummy.tv SEO Guru
I still haven't got round to putting 1.02.27 on yet. But now I'm worried that this is only a precursor to every time I press a button on the remote I'll get a voice wafting out of the TV saying "I don't think you want to do that Dave" (Fenlander you may be the only one of us that would like that!!)

Don't bother mate, unless there's something specific you want it for. As far as I can make out:

Good:
  • 4GB DLNA client bug cured
  • HD-FOX seems to have less trouble with failed warm starts (used to get upset if I cycled through standby in less than 10 minutes, but the improvement might be due to CF2.10). Update: not had a single one since, even in circumstances which would definitely have produced a failed boot previously.
  • Some people reporting HDMI handshaking improvements
  • Reported to handle Favourites better - doesn't switch away from them so easily (contribution from Brianmt)
Bad:
  • Retunes without user confirmation (kills recording schedule, auto-scan rather than manual tune) - we have a fix for this in the Custom Software.
  • Silly screen prompts for handset mode buttons and inappropriate button presses (if you have the right issue of handset) - matter of opinion
  • Audio Description made unusable (contribution from Luke)
  • Some people reporting HDMI handshaking worse
  • YouTube clips fail to play in the TV Portal - not absolutely confirmed whether this is a 1.02.27 issue but it looks increasingly likely
The choice for me looks like keeping 1.02.27 on my HD and reverting to 1.02.20 on my HDR. Whether the HDR then gets left behind on CF/CS updates remains to be seen.

Hmmm good summary - I'd better get the disable OTA package running before .27 hits the airwaves!!

Don't bother mate, unless there's something specific you want it for. This isn't the right topic, but as far as I can make out:

Good:
  • 4GB DLNA client bug cured
  • HD-FOX seems to have less trouble with failed warm starts (used to get upset if I cycled through standby in less than 10 minutes)
Bad:

• Retunes without asking (kills recording schedule, auto-scan rather than manual tune)
  • Silly screen prompts for handset mode buttons and innapropriate button presses (if you have the right issue of handset)
The choice for me looks like keeping 1.02.27 on my HD and reverting to 1.02.20 on my HDR. Whether the HDR then gets left behind on CF/CS updates remains to be seen.

I guess everyone has different priorities, but I quite like the icons they work well for me.

As for your auto-retuning problems, I'm not sure you can blame this on the new firmware as I haven't had any such problems. Today's DSO also went smoothly.

As for your auto-retuning problems, I'm not sure you can blame this on the new firmware as I haven't had any such problems. Today's DSO also went smoothly.

I certainly can blame the firmware, just because you have not experienced it yet doesn't mean there isn't a problem (you can't prove a negative). It is not a daily problem, it will probably only happen when a mux changes channel (and possibly when services are added or deleted - which will be more common), BUT if it happens and you don't notice it then you've lost your recording schedule until you replace it from back-up. A retune event gets inserted into the schedule and it is observable in the WebIF (but not yet deletable).

Remember I did dismiss a number of prompts to authorise a retune before it went ahead and did it anyway - could be that if you ignore the on-screen prompt for long enough (ie I wasn't looking) it defaults to "OK let's do it".

I certainly can blame the firmware, just because you have not experienced it yet doesn't mean there isn't a problem (you can't prove a negative). It is not a daily problem, it will probably only happen when a mux changes channel (and possibly when services are added or deleted - which will be more common), BUT if it happens and you don't notice it then you've lost your recording schedule until you replace it from back-up. A retune event gets inserted into the schedule and it is observable in the WebIF (but not yet deletable).

Remember I did dismiss a number of prompts to authorise a retune before it went ahead and did it anyway - could be that if you ignore the on-screen prompt for long enough (ie I wasn't looking) it defaults to "OK let's do it".

Crikey, consider me told!

Whether the HDR then gets left behind on CF/CS updates remains to be seen.

This is the problem, I can't see af123 wanting to maintain two lots of custom firmware 1.02.20 mod 2.10 as well as 1.02.27 mod 2.10 and I wouln't blame if he didn't want to, I have worked for companies that have gone done that road and it gets very messy

This is the problem, I can't see af123 wanting to maintain two lots of custom firmware 1.02.20 mod 2.10 as well as 1.02.27 mod 2.10 and I wouln't blame if he didn't want to, I have worked for companies that have gone done that road and it gets very messy
Agreed, more than one branch is like a knocking noise in your car - it will never get better on its own and costs more the longer you leave it! It's more likely we'll do a "4gb" on it - the problem will prompt a workaround sooner than we'll get one from humax, AND it'll probably be better than the official fix so even when one turns up no-one will want it anyway!!

And just like that, it got me! I haven't been home but logged into RS to check on the status of my box (I have a late afternoon wake/sleep timer). All recordings are gone and I suspect channels too :(

There, see? Everybody believe me now? Anybody see anything like this on 1.02.20?

What region are you freestyle_gus?

There, see? Everybody believe me now? Anybody see anything like this on 1.02.20?

What region are you freestyle_gus?

Sorry BH, I just didn't want to believe you. Firmware denial is a terrible affliction.

I'm in Kent (Crystal palace transmitter) so had the DSO last night.

With 1.02.20 I did get the message after the first DSO stage but just pressed "later" on a couple of consecutive days and it left me alone. Certainly didn't rescan by itself.

Looks like a revert to the previous firmware?

I've not had any further affliction since - with the CF schedule backup and a close watch on it you might be safe for a while. I'm going to stick with 1.02.27 for the time being to watch what happens, there is no sign of a retune event in the schedule.

Hopefully af123 will provide a cure.

I have some ideas for a fix but they may be difficult to test! Hopefully I'll have something to stop this soon.

The message about pressing the wrong button only appears if you have not programmed in another device to TV, DVD or Audio.
I have programmed in my TV and do not get the messages for any button. But I do for DVD and Audio because they are at their default setting of not programmed.

Not had any auto retunes here for Manchester.
Surely you would notice because it should ask you to 'save' the new channels once it's finished it's scan. And also if you are in an overlap area, it will ask you which region you want.

Surely you would notice because it should ask you to 'save' the new channels once it's finished it's scan. And also if you are in an overlap area, it will ask you which region you want.

I can assure you it didn't, bearing in mind it would have done it while I wasn't watching.

Then I would call that a nasty bug!
I'm sure humax are aware by now with London's DSO occurring last night. No doubt their phones were off the hook today! Lol

Then I would call that a nasty bug!
I'm sure humax are aware by now with London's DSO occurring last night. No doubt their phones were off the hook today! Lol
Possibly, but then if this is only in 1.02.27 then its only people who have installed the beta software that will be affected - and beta software rarely guarantees anything : )

I can't believe it's a "bug" - it feels more like an ill-considered deliberate feature (design flaw).

Nah, later should mean exactly that. It's got to be a logic error.
Although I suppose humax could argue that later literally means later, as in not right now, but do it in a bit.
Pressing exit might be the 'No don't you dare!' option!

Back