1.02.27 - Reasons Not To Be Cheerful

Hmm... Is it resolved for me? Maybe.

I let the box do the auto scan, restarted it, all seemed fine (except for a few channels that needed deleting.

Restored schedule from the backup, restarted the box and... Argh! Message shows its face.

Let it do another scan, restored schedules manually... All seems well.

Let's see.

Edit - all looks good so far!

There, see? Everybody believe me now? Anybody see anything like this on 1.02.20?
Not me - on 1.02.20 modified s/w with 7.30 loader. Got home, switched box on and got a message about no signal/tuning needed but nothing else (box was on ch54 BBCHD off Crystal Palace). Performed an auto retune and everything back to as it was. Crystal Palace is strong for me and the only transmitter my box sees.

To be safe, and as I only record HD on the hummy, I manually re-added scheduled recordings rather than use the back-ups. I've powered the box off and on several times and no message or problems. No sign of the auto power-on early morning update check in the schedule either :)

It would have been more instructive if you had refused the retune and seen what happened. I realise this is impractical as you probably had recording demands!

It would have been more instructive if you had refused the retune and seen what happened. I realise this is impractical as you probably had recording demands!
It didn't seem to force anything on me. I got rid of the message, found several channels no longer worked (as expected) and then set about manually going into the service menu and performing an auto-scan.

The experience of at least two of us is that if you had not, it would have done an auto-scan behind your back.

The message about pressing the wrong button only appears if you have not programmed in another device to TV, DVD or Audio.
I have programmed in my TV and do not get the messages for any button. But I do for DVD and Audio because they are at their default setting of not programmed.

@Black Hole - is it worth updating your post #2 for Bad Point 2? Now that Chris has worked out why/how the warnings appear it doesn't seem such a bad point - in fact with this explanation I can now see it's perhaps a good one. The mode buttons get pressed all the time by the kids (funnily enough because they light up!) so a warning if an unprogrammed mode is selected seems sensible now. That also changes the score for 1.02.27 to two for and only one against - or even with this becoming a 'for' then its 3:1?

(Granted the one against appears at the moment to be a nasty one:()

one thing positive I've noticed with 27 is it saves your favorites when you switch off . No more reinstating them each day !!
Nice to see the south having the retune problems we experienced up here in the Granada region last year. My mate still has ITV wales on his set says he prefers it to Granada

Another reason not to be cheerful:

As its taken 10 months for Humax t come up with these updates, I wonder how long its going to be for them to come up with some more?

As for the remote control thing and the auto retune I suspect this has something to do with trying to save costs for the entire digital Tv industry as the amount of money that would have been saved on silly adverts on the TV, radio, posters, vinal wraps of busses etc etc. informing people they had to return their STB's twice this month, if the box had done it by itself

However this would have been beter served if they had found a way of making it keep all the data in the box (scheduled recordings favourites etc) before putting this feature in.

Shame that they have had to sink to the lowest common denominator (intelligence level) when designing their boxes.....

They may well be a option in the database to turn this function off ???????

I guess you meant 'retune their STBs twice this month' rather that 'return' them. THAT would be a downer.:(

It seems to me joe-public should not have had issue with the DSO after all the information given the past year via advertisiing on TV, magazines, leaflets through the door, papers, pop-up messages on the digital boxes themselves - giving advance notice and dates. The problem is with contant auto retuning, but I'm confused if off the shelf boxes without modified s/w (running .20 or .27) had this problem?

Shame the schedule is lost during the re-tune, but perhaps we are fortunate in the clever way AF and co have helped things.

Shame the schedule is lost during the re-tune, but perhaps we are fortunate in the clever way AF and co have helped things.

Necessity being the mother of invention and all that. As with a large number of the developments made in the custom firmware this too may well prompt work on gaining some control over this ourselves before the Orwellian predictions of complete loss of control or function of the box come to pass.

I cannot believe it! Audio description is worse. Neither SD or HD are usable.

With 1.02.20 Audio Description was usable on SD, but on HD the boosting of the normal audio channel resulted in a very quiet and inaudible AD volume.

With 1.02.27 SD any sound on the normal channel now drowns out the AD sound.
With 1.02.27 HD the AD channel can now sometimes be heard. But like SD it is patchy.

It’s a case of >4GB and an unusable AD, or no >4GB and a usable AD but only on SD.

Edit: This is a beta

I can't believe the amount of moaning in this thread.

It's a BETA, treat it as such. Nobody is forcing you to use it. Anybody reading this from Humax (as if) is loving the comments because you are doing free testing for them.

from the beta site

"The aim of this area is to provide a single source for the latest software for consumers of our products and as such the software may not yet be fit for long-term use. Whilst every effort has been made to deliver software which is useful to consumers, the software provided here may not
yet have fully completed the Humax Quality Control process."

It's a BETA, treat it as such.

Interestingly, there are reports around of people getting new and refurbished units with 1.02.27 pre-installed. I would dare bet that Humax will OTA this version within a month.

And yes, the AD volume is just wrong!

I have been reading with interest these threads and the forum since the beta was released. I normally jump on stuff like this and cannot wait to check out the extra features but currently I am running Webif 0.9-6-5 on CM 2.0 with the 1.2.20 and as everything is kinda working flawlessly I am reluctant to mess with stuff.

Also, I have something to admit. My wife often comes to me and says and I quote ` The fucking remote is fucked on the digibox again and I cant turn over` What she means is one of the twins (1 year olds) or the little girl (2 and a half) has been messing with the remote and pressed one of the top 4 buttons. I simply press the PVR while without her seing it and everything is back to normal. This has led me to get several favours from her over the last few weeks when `fixing the digibox` so I am keen to keep it like this :)

On a more serious note I dont think there is much I have missed in the new beta from humax and I am assuming that CF 2.10 is just the update for the beta is that correct? or are there bug fixes in the newer version of the CF. I have not done a rescan for sometime becuase I had a previous problem where I was missing recordings due to some channel crossing issues so I did a manual scan and like I said above all is working so am relunctant to change it.

Yeah I bet they release it OTA too shortly.

I'm glad people are voicing their complaints about the beta and doing "free beta testing" as humax must be paying attention as this is one of the only active sites in the world that discusses humax products and their software.

If I worked for humax and didnt at least occasionally glance at what is being said about my products and more importantly, what's not working or broken, then I'd be fairly stupid.
Humax have personally told me in the past that they know what it going on and do not want to put an end to it as such, but they don't want to endorse it either as it has caused them issues in the past.

Back