1.02.28 OTA...

There are areas that won't get a Hi-Def TV Channel until October 2012 so I would think they will provided a downloadable version

Any reason for that suspicion? I don't think it has ever happened before although once or twice the download version has only appeared after the OTA.
No, no specific reason. It seems odd that they are taking it straight to OTA without another beta.

I have been using the 1.02.27 update without any problems (I realize that there are others who have had problems galore) but will there be any difference between the 1.02.27 beta and the OTA of 1.02.28? and what is the 'KZTFT' part of the 1.02.28 as listed on the DTG website?​

If its genuine and not a typo, it's probably on its way to the beta site. They are just a bit slow with updating their sites..

The only difference we can be fairly sure of (thanks to Barry at myhumax.org) is that YouTube will work again.

Hopefully they've fixed the automatic retune too, and some people have had unexpected factory resets with .27..

If I let the OTA install, will it stop the CF working

Yes, the CF files will still remain on the hard disk but non of the CF features will be available until a 1.02.28 Custom Firmware overlay is available or you re-load 1.02.20 and it's CF overlay e.g. the 'mod' file

The CS files remain (dormant) on disk...

If I let the OTA install, will it stop the CF working

I'm still on 1.02.20 at the moment

What do you mean "let"? If you install disable-ota, the OTA will be prevented so your current 1.02.20 + CF will remain intact. Hopefully 1.02.28 will turn up on the download site so we can have a look at it and see if it has any downside before the community adopts it in general. Without disable-ota, the only means you have to guard against the OTA are to: turn off power every night; disconnect the aerial every night; make sure the box is recording something at 4.30 every morning (I think).

IMO everyone should install disable-ota. We don't know if, for example, a new issue might be capable of killing the CF completely (unlikely), or it restructures the Flash storage making it difficult or impossible to restore a previous issue. Nobody in Customised land is going to be happy if it is buggy but prevents a wind back, even worse if it takes a while to develop a new CF.

The BYTs will have to install it at some point to see what's what, but probably only tentatively once the Internet has been scoured for any reports of problems from anyone else out there (or indeed anyone here who didn't take measures). They will also have the skills (we hope) to unpick things if it all goes down in flames. The rest of us will wait with baited breath.

INSTALL disable-ota NOW, wait until 1.02.28 appears as a download and there is a new CF for it.

Having previously updated my 9200s via downloaded files followed by default reset, manual tuning, preference and timers resetting, what impact does an OTA update have on tuning and timers? I am away from my HD-FOX T2 and HDR-FOX T2 for 2 weeks from 26/06/12.

The manuals assume the unit is powered on at some stage during the OTA period. Does that mean that if a unit is not powered on either manually or automatically (to output to a TV and thus display the Yes/No/Later Update Question) then the unit will continue to operate as before and no software update will take place?

Given that the unit has to have HD Channel tuning information to receive the update, will deleting the HD Channels inhibit the update process. [I don't mind losing quality for a short period if normal recording takes place.]

Martin

An OTA should not effect tuning or timers in any way, however the new software may call for a re-tune
The Humax will automatically wake up at 4:30AM to look for OTA, It is not possible to turn this off (without Custom Firmware)
As you say OTA's are only carried on the HD Mux, I guess (not proved) that deleting this Mux will prevent OTA
Other ways of preventing OTA's are switching off at the mains , recording between 4:25AM and 4:40AM and CF disable-OTA

Please note that a firmware update deletes on-off timers that are set through the Humax Settings menu. It is for that reason that I use manual reminders in the schedule rather than on-off timers.

Given that the unit has to have HD Channel tuning information to receive the update, will deleting the HD Channels inhibit the update process. [I don't mind losing quality for a short period if normal recording takes place.]
It is very doubtful that just deletion will inhibit the process. Deletion of all channels that are from the HD mux still leaves a HD-FOX-T2 with a UHF channel list that includes the HD mux. It is probably the same on a HDR-FOX-T2.

A default settings followed by a manual tune omitting the HD mux would have a better chance of inhibiting the update process.

Edit (1/7/12): I have now tried a default setting followed by avoiding tuning into an HD mux. This does NOT block OTA.

Thanks for the replies.

However, sorry to appear dim but am I right in assuming from the above that between 0425 and 0440 the unit checks for a software update and, if one exists, downloads and installs it.

If so, to what do the instructions on page 54 of the HDR User's Manual and Page 41 of the HD User's Manual mean when they refer to a choice between Yes, No (only HD Manual) and Later?

Page 54 refers to the unit detecting new software during standby and "you can choose either to download immediately or later when you switch to operation mode". The implication here is that the unit has been manually switched on to display an output and a user choice is required to install the new software.

Now, its a long time since I watched TV at 0430, so with the Humax in standby (and thus with no user interaction) will any new software be installed?

If a user choice is required then to stop an update the choice No or Later (if they exist as described in the manuals) should be used until after the DTG transmission whenever the unit is switched into operation mode.

Of course this begs the question, what does the choice "No" mean; "Later" being adequately described in the manuals.

Martin

The CS files remain (dormant) on disk...

What do you mean "let"? If you install disable-ota, the OTA will be prevented so your current 1.02.20 + CF will remain intact. Hopefully 1.02.28 will turn up on the download site so we can have a look at it and see if it has any downside before the community adopts it in general. Without disable-ota, the only means you have to guard against the OTA are to: turn off power every night; disconnect the aerial every night; make sure the box is recording something at 4.30 every morning (I think).

IMO everyone should install disable-ota. We don't know if, for example, a new issue might be capable of killing the CF completely (unlikely), or it restructures the Flash storage making it difficult or impossible to restore a previous issue. Nobody in Customised land is going to be happy if it is buggy but prevents a wind back, even worse if it takes a while to develop a new CF.

The BYTs will have to install it at some point to see what's what, but probably only tentatively once the Internet has been scoured for any reports of problems from anyone else out there (or indeed anyone here who didn't take measures). They will also have the skills (we hope) to unpick things if it all goes down in flames. The rest of us will wait with baited breath.

INSTALL disable-ota NOW, wait until 1.02.28 appears as a download and there is a new CF for it.

Perhaps I should have elaborated a little bit more and said:-

If I remove 'disable-ota', and then let the OTA install, will it stop the CF working

But I agree with you, disable-ota is a must have

Thanks for the replies.

However, sorry to appear dim but am I right in assuming from the above that between 0425 and 0440 the unit checks for a software update and, if one exists, downloads and installs it.

If so, to what do the instructions on page 54 of the HDR User's Manual and Page 41 of the HD User's Manual mean when they refer to a choice between Yes, No (only HD Manual) and Later?

Page 54 refers to the unit detecting new software during standby and "you can choose either to download immediately or later when you switch to operation mode". The implication here is that the unit has been manually switched on to display an output and a user choice is required to install the new software.

Now, its a long time since I watched TV at 0430, so with the Humax in standby (and thus with no user interaction) will any new software be installed?

If you happen to be using the Humax at 4.30am it does actually ask for permission to go off-air and check for software updates. Regardless of what it might say in the manual (who takes any notice?), it will wake itself up from standby and check whether you like it or not - the event is visible in the WebIF view of the scheduled events (not on the normal TV menus of course), and if we delete it it comes back.

disable-ota monitors it in the background and gets rid of the OTA schedule entry every time it reinstates.

Back