Closed Poll 1.03.12 OTA update: repeat transmission

How many new threads will be created asking why the EPG has gone slow?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
On reflection, anybody that was going to get bitten would have been bitten the first time around, so I'm betting low.

I'm pretty sure it's not a faulty update, that has been established firmly. Sure, there is a deficiency in performance but that appears to be due to a design change and, given that it's been in all versions that have been released for many months now it is clearly not something they are running to fix.

We have been informed that the reason it was pulled last time was due to a request from the folks that manage the broadcasts rather than from Humax so it is perfectly understandable that they are keen to try again.

Personally I have been using it since the broadcast and haven't found a serious issue with it. Even my family who are not at all interested in the techy side have been using it and not one has commented on the slow EPG. 'Course, it helps that I tend to do most programming vi the CF web interface, the EPG tends to only be used to see what's on now and over the next few hours.

I don't really give a BEEP! if the EPG runs slow I search for any programs I'm looking for, why scroll left and right for hours LOL...

Doesn't bother me either. It must be the way I use the EPG.

It is a major concern for many and appears to be spoiling their 'Humax Experience'. As such, I think the decent thing would be to sort it out.

If it performed Ok before the update, but not after, stands to reason it was a faulty update. Fine for those who don't use it, damned annoying for those who do.

So why didn't the oh-so-clever beta testers pick it up, one wonders?
Perhaps they're not as clever as they think they are.

God knows.. Maybe they have set tests that they do and the epg speed was just not one of them.. If you know anything about coding, you'll know how easy it is to have knock-ons that were unexpected. Even worse when it's a team working on the code rather than an individual.

Remember they are not a full on software house like say a console game dev house, so they won't have all the same checks and balances or volume of programmers..

Perhaps they did pick it up but higher authority decided it wasn't important enough to allocate resource?

I'm going to stick on my current firmware as the slow EPG would annoy the life our of me.

Hopefully this won't be the last update for the box and a further update will fix the issue.

Don't let other people sway you before you've even tried it. It's not a show stopper. I've been running it from day 1 and it's fine for us.

The sad thing is that there is a large pool of free beta testers who would have pointed out this problem promptly to Humax had the beta download site not been allowed to wither and die.

Don't let other people sway you before you've even tried it. It's not a show stopper. I've been running it from day 1 and it's fine for us.

I've been burned before with upgrades on items so I'm in the mind of if it ain't broke don't try to fix it.
The only thing I would like is the iPlayer radio but I've lived without it so far.

Your choice, but you can upgrade or downgrade as you please on the humax.

You got me, I'm hooked. :)

So these are my current settings:

1iipls.png

I take it I can use the highlighted firmware to go straight to the latest version:

2hz677q.png

If I'm not happy with the new EPG can I just go straight back to:

mm8px2.png

I think the procedure is click "prepare for upgrade", install official f/w then install custom f/w over the top.

If you have the old custom portal installed, uninstall that before you do anything as it's not compatible and is easier if you take it off now.

To make it even easier, you could just install official 1.03.12 now and trial it. That way if you don't like it, you can just install official 1.02.32 followed by custom 1.02.32 to get you back to where you are now. If you do like it, then you could just install custom 1.03.12 from that point.

Sorry just remembered there isn't an official 1.03.12 haha.. In which case you couldn't do the second part of my post above..

Back