1800T says signal too weak, but TV says it's fine

One of the reasons I switched from 1080i to 1080p is that 1080p eliminates the motion artefacts I was seeing on vintage analogue shows like "Top Of The Pops" on BBC4 and DVDs of "It Ain't Half Hot, Mum" and "Doctor Who". It was getting odd segments of 'filmised' motion on what should have been a studio video look. I still get odd bits of that on HD channels, but I'm told that's because the BBC switches between 1080i and 1080p.

I actually have very well screened HDMI cables given me by the same guy who suggested the aerial distributor giving individual feeds to each tuner. The cables themselves did not solve the problem of reception problems on BBC4 when my Blu-Ray, DVD Recorder and o/r Hummy was switched on. The aerial distributor largely solved my problems. When the COM7 and COM8 retune took place I lost those stations entirely. I then took the trouble to re-align my aerial using a compass app on my phone which restored COM 7 and COM 8. Prior to the retune the aerial was vaguely pointed towards Crystal Palace, and now it's bang on beam with COM7 and COM8 restored.

Having reached this point, I may take out the aerial distributor to see if it still makes a difference.

All the Freeview channels on the PSD HD Mux switch between 1080i50 and 1080p25. Your TV should de-interlace interlaced to progressive anyway. If it doesn't look right when given 1080i look at your TV settings it's likely some crap picture processing option(s) you have turned on.

Whatever it comes in at, the Humax (assuming to does the same as a HDR-FOX) converts it to whatever the VFORMAT setting is. The TV will ultimately convert to 1080p for the physical display, so to avoid multiple conversions it's best to set VFORMAT to 1080p and let the Humax do all the scaling. There is no way to set the Humax to pass through in "native" format.

If HDMI radiation is a problem at 1080p, at least the conversion from 1080i isn't too taxing.

All the Freeview channels on the PSD HD Mux switch between 1080i50 and 1080p25. Your TV should de-interlace interlaced to progressive anyway. If it doesn't look right when given 1080i look at your TV settings it's likely some crap picture processing option(s) you have turned on.

I turned all that all rubbish off on day one. It took me a while to realise I had to switch my HDD players to 1080p output so I didn’t get a filmise artefact on those machines. The occasional issue persists on some HD channels but the output from my Humax is fine

I had the same issue as the OP on my second sample of an 1800T box (the first dying after about 5 days, failing to recognise it's own hard drive). After a lot of messing around changing/re-routing HDMI and aerial cables, using mains surge filters and so forth, I got it swapped-out for yet another sample, after first talking to Humax technical, who concluded that it was faulty hardware. The third sample, using exactly the same cabling, showed no such problems. Perhaps the OP has a duff sample of the hardware?

Clem

Back