2 Muxes/Channels vanished at retune - Still not back

jack616

I've waited to let the dust settle but we still can't get what I now understand are on Mux numbers 55 and 56
(The HD channels for BBC news etc)

Anyone else still have issues ? We are on the Sutton xmitter
Manual tuning gives zero power readings.
Aerial adjustments dont affect it- everything else seems ok.

This is 2 HDR-FOX T2 boxes the second on loop-through
Swapping them makes no difference.
Adding an amp makes no difference (doesnt seem to be anything to amplify)
Tried DVB-T and T2 to be on safe side - nothing

Is there a list of repeaters locations somewhere I could look at maybe?

I'm out of ideas.

PS
Interesting choice of fonts on this page

Thanks brian - yes - I know what I should get - I'm just not getting it.
On monday PM I notice there is now a small amount of signal on mux 56 but not enough to tune into
(bouncing between zero quality and about 60 and power all over the place.)
All other channels are very steady (mux channel 39 at 61% power up to mux channel 46 at 55% power)
after that nothing . Tried running a new cable today - no luck.
(I now have 3 boxes - installed another this afternoon - similar result - no mux 55 or 56)
I'm on a wideband aerial but cant see why the latest retune would just wipe it all out either way.
The so called 700Mhz clearance is happening - could that be related? Are they likely to be doing
work without notifying anyone?
It seems to be solely related to the 700Mhz band as far as I can see.

Seriously puzzled here.

On the fonts - I'm seeing what must be about 4-5 point text in the editor and maybe 8point in the posted messages.
(Yes I've reset the browser - no issues elsewhere)
Its not a big deal (as long as I have my glasses) - I just thought I'd mention it

I've waited to let the dust settle but we still can't get what I now understand are on Mux numbers 55 and 56
I am assuming that by talking about Sutton you mean Sutton Coldfield.
Did you ever get these before the frequency change? (Previously on UHF 33 and UHF 35)
You are aware that the power of all multiplexes except the two you can't get is 200kW, whereas the power of the two you are having problems with is less than 90kW.
Where I am (in Notts), the Digital UK coverage checker shows this for Sutton Coldfield:
sc.png
COM8 shows 99% because it is part of the single frequency network with Waltham (the transmitter I use). I think it was about 50% before the frequency change.
Perhaps you could give an indication of what the Digital UK prediction is for where you are.

Freeview has offerred some advice - see here

Last edited:
BH - fair enough - odd though - perhaps I'm substituting something small for the default font. Not worth worrying about though as its only here.

EEPhil - Yes we had about 185 channels total normally if I remember correctly. We certainly had no problems with HD channels
I'm tuning about 150 now I think.
On that TV channel (MUX 56?) I'm currently getting some signal as I write bouncing between 20-26ish perecent with Q between zero and 100
but no single frame is complete. an amp just makes it worse - too borderline I guess. Only 1 of 3 freeview boxes is even able to see that.
On MUX 55 zero power permanently but the manual tuner occasionally tries to lock but then moves on.

Before the retune I was often able to get birmingham central on mux 51 I think it was - with 10% power and 100% quality stable.
Not very often but it was either on or off.
Average signals across the channels used to be about 45-60% with no real issues (except some didnt like the planes flying over)

But you say the ones I can get are broadcasting 200KW and the ones I can't get are only broadcasting 90KW ?
Is that the answer to the issue? Are they going to increase that?

But you say the ones I can get are broadcasting 200KW and the ones I can't get are only broadcasting 90KW ?
Is that the answer to the issue? Are they going to increase that?
I shouldn't think so. The limit on power is so that there is no interference with adjacent transmitters on similar frequencies. Those situated in no-man's-land between two transmitters won't get reception from either transmitter on the low power muxes, but can receive the main muxes from whichever transmitter they prefer.

So they can just chop and change whatever they like - taking away the services we bought into
and just tell you "tough luck" or "go buy yet another aerial and see if that helps" ?
It would be understandable if we were miles from anywhere but just 5miles from the centre
of the countries second largest city is a bit of a joke.

Doesn't "freeview" have any sort of oversight or consumer control?

Oh dear - so you've lost a couple of HiDef duplicates of services that are still available in StDef, and a load of other general crap. Big deal.

If there are any rights at all, they are limited to what your licence fee covers - and you have the right not to pay the licence fee if you are not getting an adequate service in return. There are also alternatives in the form of cable (where available) and satellite (UK-wide coverage unless you live on the north side of a very steep cliff).

It's the south side of a very steep cliff that snooker peeps on the IoW NZ.

Last edited:
OOPS. And I thought we were talking Freeview here,

Yes but in typical fashion when theres a question someone doesnt like they spam the thread.

Interestingly the box I Installed this week came from manchester
It had 10 Muxes tuned to it.
We can only get 5 and a half here.

I'm thinking public enquiry not changing to downloading.
A lot of public money is in this bodge job of a "service"

And no - you cannot just not pay the license fee.

It had 10 Muxes tuned to it.
We can only get 5 and a half here.
That's capitalism for you. If you're out of range of the things commercial operators deem profit-worthy, then tough. Some places only get 3 muxes, so think yourself lucky that you get 6. And you could probably get the other 3 if you were willing to fix your aerial.

And no - you cannot just not pay the license fee.
Of course you can. You decide to accept the service you can get or not take it at all.

What wrankles with me is the idea of entitlement. Too many people in this country think they are entitled to too much, and then elect the politicians who promise them the lowest taxes. What do they want? They can't have both.

Yes but in typical fashion when theres a question someone doesnt like they spam the thread.
You started it:
So they can just chop and change whatever they like - taking away the services we bought into
and just tell you "tough luck" or "go buy yet another aerial and see if that helps" ?
If what you mean by "services we bought into" is the continuation of free-to-air TV, you've got it. You haven't lost access to the channels that were available before DSO, even without changing your aerial, and if you do have to change your aerial to continue with the main five that's not much different from having to buy a digital box in the first place. The switch to digital provided capacity for dozens of crap channels that nonetheless bring in revenue to maintain the transmission network, which would otherwise have to be paid from taxes. The 5G clearance, as much as I don't think anyone actually needs 5G, will bring in revenue.

As a society, we either have to pay directly from our pockets for what we want, or we have to levy taxes to cover what we decide should be a universal provision regardless of the ability to pay. The problem we have, as a society, is that we are unwilling to pay enough in taxes for what has become a general expectation of what the state should provide, and have forgotten what life was like before. That applies to the NHS, the police, the state of the roads... everything, and if you ask me TV takes a large slice of the blame for that because before TV people were prepared to spend their time making the world better.

</soapbox>

Started writing before BH posted #19.
If there are any rights at all, they are limited to what your licence fee covers -
Not so much rights, but expectation. Before DSO most people had access to only five terrestrial channels. Anything beyond that is a bonus. As "we" pay directly for the BBC, we would now expect to get all BBC services (BBC1/2/4/News/Parliament/CBeebies/CBBC). I never really watched it, but was annoyed when BBC3 went online only. Not every licence payer can get access. Not fair!
As for commercial channels. ITV and C4 are definitely deemed to be public service broadcasters (not so sure about C5). The fact that we can receive ITV2/ITV3(possibly)/ITV4/Film4/More4 is a bonus.
That takes care of the multiplexes PSB1 and PSB2 (aka BBCA and D3&4) - we can expect to receive them everywhere. When it comes to BBCB (DVB-T2) multiplex - is it our right to receive these duplicate channels? HiDef is a premium product - BBCB is provided free almost everywhere, so another bonus.
When it comes to the services on the SDN/ArqA/ArqB/COM7/COM8 and local multiplexes, I can't see that everyone has a right to get them. You may be able to get some or all of the services free on FreeSat. Failing that they might be available on $ky or Beardy Media.

Back