20 mins before recording

Hi, I have a Humax T2 And due to my HD TV only having one HDMI slot, I use a splitter to connect the Humax, a Blu Ray and an Amazon fire stick.
my question is, when watching the firestick, and a programme on the Humax is due to be recorded, the fire stick turns off ( or rather the screen goes blank presumably to give the Humax priority). It always does it 20 mins before recording is due to start. Does it need 20 mins? Is there any way of shortening it?

The HDR-FOX wakes up ahead of a recording so that it can pick up any schedule changes in the EPG. That's to track, eg, late running programmes due to a live event. If you don't want it to do that, your only option is to use manual timer events for scheduling recordings - which is the equivalent of going back to timers on a VCR.

You are blaming the wrong thing. Surely the problem is the way the TV switches to another HDMI when it becomes live. My TVs only switch to SCART if it becomes live, never HDMI. How about rearranging the HDMI inputs so the Firestick has priority?

If your HDMI switch box is anything like mine, I don't think there is anything you can do about it. When any input powers up, the box automatically switches to it. There is no way to disable or prioritise.

Oh, one HDMI with a switch box - I missed that bit. Get a different switch box (check the spec carefully).

But a non-autoswitching switch will need buttons to press to switch it (or a remote control)?

Sure... maybe that's OK, but alternatively the "auto switching" algorithm used could be a selling point. Are there no auto-switching HDMI switches which have priority switching?

A remote control shouldn't be the end of the world; TVs with multiple HDMI inputs require a user command to switch.

This might be the time to upgrade the TV.

Thanks everyone for your replies. Looks like I’m stuck with it until I get a new tv. It’s not a real biggie tbh just a bit annoying. Thanks again

Thanks everyone for your replies. Looks like I’m stuck with it until I get a new tv. It’s not a real biggie tbh just a bit annoying. Thanks again
Does it make any difference if you leave the humax always on so that it doesn't have to wake up from standby?
If you don't want it to do that, your only option is to use manual timer events for scheduling recordings - which is the equivalent of going back to timers on a VCR.
You could switch to using padding mode instead of AR.
You would lose the tracking benefits of AR but the box would only turn itself on a short time before the scheduled start.

Curious: when recording from standby, HDMI isn't live anyway... is it?

And what's the point of it switching over when the recording will be viewed at another time?

It is a well known and long-standing bug with the way Humax handles HDMI that it signals it as live when it wakes up into recording standby mode. So the OP was right to blame the Humax rather than the switch or the TV.

One thing to check is that CEC on the TV is turned off (called different things by different manufacturers.

(I have a CEC killer adaptor plugged into my main HDMI input as I want to leave CEC turned on as it is handy for basic control (Play / Pause / Stop) of the Chromecast dongle plugged into another HDMI socket but not have if it interfere with any other of my source devices)

But it's not the TV that's switching, it's his HDMI switch and he only has one HDMI on the TV.

Back