2tb drive added capacity not fully shown

Robti

Hi hope this is the correct place to ask, so I just got a used box and swapped out the 500gb drive for a 2tb one I had from an old sky box which I wiped and partitioned with gparted, so everything went ok except the sizes are as follows
Available size. 1802.7gb
Used size. 20gb
Reserved size. 197.1gb

So can anyone explain the above ?

Many thanks

I don't understand your question. That looks fine to me.

Be aware that a drive advertised as 2TB has a somewhat lower capacity than 2TiB (2x2^40 bytes) - in the worst case 2,000,000,000,000 bytes. For more information see Glossary (click), entry "KiB".

You didn't need to do anything with the drive before installing it, the HDR-FOX would have done that for you.

Hi hope this is the correct place to ask, so I just got a used box and swapped out the 500gb drive for a 2tb one I had from an old sky box which I wiped and partitioned with gparted,
It isn't actually necessary to use gparted if you are using Humax firmware 1.03.12. What sizes did you make the three partitions?
so everything went ok except the sizes are as follows
Available size. 1802.7gb
Used size. 20gb
Reserved size. 197.1gb
On my 2TB driver the reserved size is about 168.6GB. If I remember correctly the reserved size is made up of the space allocated for partitions 1 and 3 (in my case 11GiB) and a fiddle factor to account for the difference between GB and GiB which for a 2TB drive is 147GiB.

Thanks for the reply, the only reason I used gparted was that the last time I used an old sky hard drive there was a locked partition although this was many years ago, I just set up 1 partition on it then put it in the Humax and it formatted it with 5he above results, I am using the latest moded firmware if it makes any difference. As long as it looks right to you all then I am happy

Thanks for the reply, the only reason I used gparted was that the last time I used an old sky hard drive there was a locked partition although this was many years ago,
OK understood; I thought you were following the process in the 2TB drive blog which does have some advantages.
I just set up 1 partition on it then put it in the Humax and it formatted it with 5he above results, I am using the latest moded firmware if it makes any difference.
Do you know what make and model the hard drive is? I certainly don't think you are losing anything worth worrying too much about.

Humax use the Reserved Size to hide the difference between the disk manufacturer's size in GB and the free space in GiB.

A 2TB drive is 2 * 1000^4 bytes (disk manufacturers use 1000-based prefixes).
A 2 Tebibyte(TiB) is 2 * 1024^4 bytes. The custom firmware web interface displays sizes using these units (hence the extra i in TiB)

Converting the 2 TB disk size into GiB - 2000^4 / 2048^3 =1862GiB
Additionally there is really some reserved space for non-video partitions and the time shift record buffer

If you want more information, have a read through http://hummy.tv/forum/threads/insufficient-disk-space-for-what.5097/

Just a quick post to say thank you for the helpful replies, set my first recordings last night now that I know all this information about the workings of the Humax and the drive

Back