3D Recording

peterpi

Sorry is this is in the wrong forum, but it either Freeview or Freesat I've seen this on, but an answer to both would be appreciated.

I see some tests of 3D which give two side by side pictures when viewd on a 2D TV. Each image is of courses slightly different to the other. If I plug a 3D TV into the box will the test program appear in 3D?

If so, I assume I can also record the same.

Still not sure about 3D, I think its a passin phase, but the kids are keen, and Tesco are doing a 42" TV with Philips Bluray for £399.00 and I also get a staff 10% discount. Offer ends Monday, so any answers might make my mind up.

Cheers
Pete

Sorry is this is in the wrong forum, but it either Freeview or Freesat I've seen this on, but an answer to both would be appreciated.

I see some tests of 3D which give two side by side pictures when viewd on a 2D TV. Each image is of courses slightly different to the other. If I plug a 3D TV into the box will the test program appear in 3D?

If so, I assume I can also record the same.

Still not sure about 3D, I think its a passin phase, but the kids are keen, and Tesco are doing a 42" TV with Philips Bluray for £399.00 and I also get a staff 10% discount. Offer ends Monday, so any answers might make my mind up.

Cheers
Pete

Yes, the programmes appear in 3D with a compatible TV and yes you can record them on the Humax.

3D is delivered in a few different formats, The BBC transmit side by side and Blu-ray uses alternating 'fields', However most 3D TVs will display both of these types and more. You could check in the TV user manual but it is almost certain to be able to display side by side 3D recorded on the Humax

OK, thanks for all the answers. I did try to search for "3D", but the search string was to short. I guessed that there must be a compromise in the horizontal, but Its good to have it confirmed. So when there is a 3D transmission, which channel do BBC transmit it on? The BBC HD one maybe?

The 3D transmissions have all been on BBC HD so far, and some have had a Red Button option to select 2D or 3D.

So when there is a 3D transmission, which channel do BBC transmit it on? The BBC HD one maybe?

The BBC have only ever transmitted 3D on BBC HD (Not BBC1 HD), Normally the BBC transmit 1440X1080 not 1920X1080 as you might expect, However when transmitting 3D they change to transmitting true 1920X1080 which becomes 960+960X1080 side by side 3D (not very Hi-Def really) so it is a bit of a compromise. The amount of 3D from the BBC is VERY Linited, They did a bit for Wimbledon and a bit over Xmas, They have gone back to 1440X1080 now so no more for a while. I guess it may be a long wait for more 3D BBC as it is rumoured that Sony financed Wimbledon and with BBC HD becomming BBC2 HD (a HD repeat of BBC2, Not a different channel) soon . . .

Strictly come dancing final was in 3D, as was the film Streetdance, and there is also a 3D portion on the BBC HD promo loop from time to time.

As others have said, 3D in the cinema is, well, OK. I feel that its a gimmick, and 3D TV is even more of a gimmick. If its gonna work at all, I think its going to have to be from a projector, so I'm going to bide my time at the moment and wait to see what happens. I feel it might even become obsolete, before it becomes established. I've always been an early up taker in new technology. I had colour TV in 1968 and a VCR on 16 August 1977, although the rest of the world will remember that day for another reason. I had a PC and a modem before the days of the WWW, who remembers bulletin boards & 2400 bits/sec modems? But I did not go for flat screen TV until we had 1080 sets, and I think its time to wait and see what happens.

Sounds familiar - mine was a packet radio modem : )
Mine was "liberated" from the post office in the days before you were legally allowed to attach your own equipment to the GPO network. I had used accoustic couplers before that but they were not particularly reliable and the telephones of the day didn't like being used on an accoustic coupler for several hours.

Used to work with post office CCITT V21 300 baud Full duplex and CCITT V23 1200 / 75 Baud half duplex modems, Happy days ! !

School teleprinter via acoustic coupled modem to electricity board mainframe to run a few lines of compiled BASIC and blow the fuse (got replaced with the spring out of a biro)

I'm a bit more optimistic about 3d an thinking more than a passing fad. The thing is that the tv in the front room is becoming more than just a thing to watch eastenders on. Our tv is set for games and watching films over t'internet as well as the dross on freeview! Sources of entertainment comes from many places now. With more and more films, and more and more games having the ability to be viewed on 3d, its only inevitable that public demand for such content will increase. I don't think we could go back to standard 2d all the time now, could we?

Of course there's a lot of 3d dross out there. The final harry Potter being one of them (great film, but no need for it to be in 3d!) But there is some good stuff - Motocross on PS3, Avatar, Despicable Me, and I'm salivating at the thought of The Hobbit being not only in 3d but played back at 48fps too!

I think 3d will stick for a while. I know a lot of people don't like it, and certainly lots of people don't like playing games in it (see MW3 3d for example!) but I suppose that HD isn't for everyone, stereo sound might be too! :-D

MrP

I dont like it myself but I expect it will be around for quite a while now there are genuine "no glasses" 3D TV's being released later this year.
That would at least make it watchable (assuming no other issues raised by the technology)

I dont like it myself but I expect it will be around for quite a while now there are genuine "no glasses" 3D TV's being released later this year. That would at least make it watchable (assuming no other issues raised by the technology)

That's probably what Nintendo thought with their "no glasses" 3D Gameboy - Nurofen anyone?

I think 3D might become 'more popular' when you no longer need to wear special glasses to watch it. I believe Toshiba will launch such a model later this year.

3D TV is currently not very user friendly for prescription glasses wearers, there doesn't seem to be much mention made of prescription 3D glasses being available, let alone what they would cost.

Back