3D Recording

I see that those are only "Passive" glasses, I would want "Active/Shutter" glasses which would no doubt cost significantly more.

I think that I will pass on 3D for the time being.:)

Yep, that's why we got an LG telly. The glasses cost next to nothing. They're the same glasses you get when you go to the cinema so you can just take them home, so we have about 20 pairs now! Apparently the Active shutter glasses set up is better, but the Passive ones are good enough. I also have a couple of kids who like nothing more than breaking expensive things. At £80-£100 a time for those active shutter glasses, I knew I'd be paying out through the nose all the time.

Looks like a small amount of the Olympics may be broadcast in 3D:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/ol...broadcast-in-3D-for-up-to-10-hours-a-day.html

I did recently consider an LG 3D TV due to the fact that it uses the cheapo cinema glasses, but decided that I probably wouldn't be watching enough 3D for that to be the most important priority, so I decided to go for a Panasonic GT30 instead, which has had very good reviews. As it happens, John Lewis offered a deal that included a 3D Blu-Ray player and 2 pairs of active shutter glasses thrown in, so I went for it. My free copy of Avatar 3D has just landed on the doormat too. I think 3D might be around to stay...

Interesting reading, thanks for the post. Looks like 3D is dead in the water, at least on a domestic level.

The opening post doesn't say anything I didn't know already, but my feeling is that it will take more than that to kill it off.

3D TV is currently not very user friendly for prescription glasses wearers, there doesn't seem to be much mention made of prescription 3D glasses being available, let alone what they would cost.

I have just stopped wearing specs for driving, watching TV etc. No laser treatment, just old age, although now my arms are to short and I have to sit so far from the monitor I cant see what I'm typing. Well, its an excuse for my rubbish spelling. :)

Used to work with post office CCITT V21 300 baud Full duplex and CCITT V23 1200 / 75 Baud half duplex modems, Happy days ! !
I too used to be a PO Engineer, but never worked on telex or data stuff. I do remember early facsimile machines, where the sender wrapped an A4 sheet on a drum and the receiver had some paper which I think was electro sensitive and was scratched by a stylus. They were on the ends of ICI and BP private circuits which way back in the sixties cost or tens of thousands of pounds per year to rent. Something which now can be done for a few quid a month via the WWW.

With apologies to Tony Capstick.

We didn't 'ave no broadband or smartphones or shoes or bedclothes. We med us own fun in them days. Do you know, when I were a lad you could get a tram down into t'town, buy three new suits an' an ovvercoat, four pair o' good boots, go an' see George Formby at t'Palace Theatre, get blind drunk, 'ave some steak an' chips, bunch o' bananas an' three stone o' monkey nuts an' still 'ave change out of a farthing.

Back