4G Clearance Retunes

Brian

Administrator
Staff member
There are quite a few upcoming Freeview retune events to clear UHF channel numbers 61 - 62 so that they can be used for 4G services. THIS PAGE contains a list of dates and transmitters affected, together with the new UHF channel numbers.
This page lists details of forthcoming retune events linked to the clearance of frequencies for 4G mobile services. Viewers with Freeview in the affected areas will need to retune on the dates listed. Main transmitters are listed first, followed by relay transmitters on a given date. A description of what happens at each site is provided. Information from Digital UK.

A message popped up on the TV today (may need a retune on 13th - but Mynnydd Machen is not on your list).

A message popped up on the TV today (may need a retune on 13th - but Mynnydd Machen is not on your list).
Do you mean Mynydd Machen?

The Digital UK site does say
Only viewers receiving their TV signal from the transmitters listed will need to retune. TV services at some other local transmitters may be subject to temporary disruption but should be restored by late afternoon.
It gives the impression that a retune won't be necessary for your transmitter.

Well, I'm sorry I can't always remember how these Welsh names are spelt.

Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogeryllwrndrobwllllantisiliogogogoch

(that's from memory - I know it should have 57 letters so I must be nearly on the money!)

Well, I'm sorry I can't always remember how these Welsh names are spelt.

Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogeryllwrndrobwllllantisiliogogogoch

(that's from memory - I know it should have 57 letters so I must be nearly on the money!)
Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch is 58 characters or 51 letters (since "ch" and "ll" are diagraphs, or single letters, in the Welsh language).

I had a little help from Wikipedia.:D

He was robbed!

(For information, I was working from my recollection of how it is pronounced, and then writing it down from a restricted understanding of Welsh spelling. I think missing out the "y" is a genuine slip, but there ain't a lot of difference between "ll" and "ch", rather like the Japanese having difficulty with the difference between "l" and "r" - they don't have the equivalent in their language, so their brains are not wired to distinguish the sounds. I have [I hope] updated my database.)

I have now got a DSO Event for the Winter Hill retune on Wed 10 Apr 2013 06:00 in my Scheduled Events, this should not affect me as I don't have the two muxes being moved, tuned into my box.
No doubt I will get the retune nag, and will end up allowing it to commence before stopping it.:rolleyes:

I have previously had disable-dso installed, but ended up uninstalling it due to some issue i had with it.

It is better to let it get on with the retune, then restore things to the way I have them.

The Winter Hill retune seems to have gone OK for me today, my Hummy's and Toppy's were retuned this morning from 6am, before going to work.:)

Slightly annoying with how it worked for me. I've got 2 HDR-FOX T2's both with the standard firmware and get TV direct from Winter Hill......

Hummy 1)
Turned on about 7am, prompted about the changes and asked whether to retune 'Now or later'. Selected Now.
Around 10am I re-entered all the scheduled recordings and everything was okay.
Turned on at 6:30pm - didn't prompt about the changes but had lost all the scheduled recordings.
Re-entered - everything okay for now

Hummy 2)
Turned on about 8am, prompted about the changes and selected 'later'.
Went through the scheduled recordings and wrote them down.
Noticed an odd entry for 16:00 which was blank. I don't record anything at that time so it wasn't one of my recordings where the channel had changed.
Retuned manually
Around 10am entered all the scheduled recordings.
Noticed the blank entry for 16:00 had gone (thought it might have been a timed entry for retuning?)
At 6:20pm noticed it wasn't recording - I set it to record the 6pm news.
Turned it on and it prompted about the changes and asked to 'retune now or later'
Selected 'now'
And then had to re-enter all the scheduled recording again.

So it seems that whether you select the option to retune 'now' or select the 'later' option and perform a manual retune
that the box will automatically perform a retune part way through the day and lose all the scheduled recordings.

I won't rush to enter the scheduled recordings next time!

It has been reported that a manual re-tune after selecting 'Later' will not stop the Humax from displaying the 'Now or Later' option next time, however, selecting 'Now' usually does, can't explain why it didn't in your Hummy1) description though unless the broadcaster invoked another 'Now or Later' display for some reason

I won't rush to enter the scheduled recordings next time!
Which is why the old hands use the custom firmware (which backs up and restores the recording schedule, and can disable the retune so you do it when you want), and/or retain standard firmware 1.02.20 (which nags but won't retune of its own accord, and can also be disabled). More info in Things Every... (and links within).

I selected "Now" and let the box start the auto tune, stopped it and saved no channels, then performed a manual tune.

Then I restored my schedule from the latest auto backup, and guess what happened? it also restored the DSO event, although the time was changed to 1600.:rolleyes:
When I got home from work, I went through it again, but manually re-entered my schedule this time.:)

Couldn't you just deleted the DSO event in the Web-If >> Scheduled Events >> DSO Event >> More >> Delete?

It may have returned until the box recognised that a prompted retune had been performed.

Edit: restore did not filter the DSO event.

Back