700 MHz clearance

Some time in the past I fitted arial sockets under the eaves
I hope you used the correct type.

:lol:

Perhaps I should have said typeface, but I didn't want to make it too obvious. They say you've failed if you have to explain it... so I've failed.
No, not failed, I just needed a signpost.
the author reads what he thinks he wrote, not what is actually there.
...and I don't trust iOS not to have had a hand in that either.

I had some aerial men around this morning, they've replaced by Group C/D aerial for Mendip with a Group T, and now I have good reception on UHF32 & 33 when I had zero with the old aerial. So, when they drop that fill-in service on UHF49, I'm ready (when it looks like many of the houses around here won't be) :) .

Okay, I thought.. what about the "local" low-power muxes COM7&8? The strange thing is that I've got good signal on COM8 (UHF35), but zero on COM7 (UHF36). Any guesses? (There goes C4+1HD and Jewellery Maker - that's a bugger innit ;) )

Okay, I thought.. what about the "local" low-power muxes COM7&8? The strange thing is that I've got good signal on COM8 (UHF35), but zero on COM7 (UHF36). Any guesses? (
You haven't got a combiner, splitter or filter hiding in the system have you? My combiner has a crossover at UHF 36.

What do coverage checkers say should be available at your location?
Digitaluk says "100" on both 35 and 36, but I understand these are supposed to be low-power non-omnidirectional services.

You haven't got a combiner, splitter or filter hiding in the system have you? My combiner has a crossover at UHF 36.
No, but at the moment I don't have my Mynydd Machen feed going in (which will need a diplexer change-over frequency at channel 30/31, or failing that a straight resistive mix). Hard to see how a filter can knock out 36 but not 32, 33, 35, 48, 49, 52, 54, 58 (unless specifically designed as a notch).

They don't usually cut off that quickly do they?
I wouldn't have thought so. My best guess is the transmitter beam pattern/direction, but I have no data for that other than the coverage claim.

From Mendip I am getting strong signal and 100% quality on both COM 7 & 8.
I am a different direction from you (I am SE of Mendip, near Shaftesbury), but according to https://ukfree.tv/transmitters/tv/Mendip they are both omni (although COM8 has a power reduction arc in the SSE).
None of which helps with explaining your problem.

They don't usually cut off that quickly do they?
Just checking and mine is actually a ch38, not 36. I can't find the specific data for it but other Fringe units show they only pass up to 34 and from 39, or up to 37 and from 40. I'm not sure which mine is but the cut off is pretty sharp.

But not BH's problem by the sound of it.

Why didn't you ask Bodgitt and Scarper before they left? Should have had a look with their analyser.
They were OK IMO, I was happy with what they did and I was monitoring for 32 & 33 to make an appearance! Detailed analysis came later.

Yes, I'm not particularly bothered - just curious about receiving one but not the other. The projected situation come June is why I replaced the aerial now! Cost £80 and saved me the bother of getting a ladder out (which is buried in clutter) and going up it :notkeen:

Last edited:
The worst thing is having to go up and down multiple times. The bloke who came yesterday had a very handy piece of kit - a gopher.

Back