7Zip - split files

You'll know by now that I am a pedant...

:rolleyes:

Indeed. So shall we agree that for the purposes of discussion relevant to the Humax command line via Telnet, it responds as one would expect typical of a Linux system, and the commands and the Humax file system are case sensitive?

(I enjoyed the technical detail)

Ok, trying to make split files in the original My Video directory:

humax# 7z a -v10m Corry1.ts

7-Zip 9.20 Copyright (c) 1999-2010 Igor Pavlov 2010-11-18
p7zip Version 9.20 (locale=C,Utf16=off,HugeFiles=on,1 CPU)

System error:
E_NOTIMPL
humax#

Help with reason for the error please?

I suspect I am not allowed to do this in that directory.

EDIT: Forgot the "." in the split command but that should make no difference imo

Well, I have been able to split a file in a selected folder and then sftp the file set to me.

The file starts as corry.ts and has been decrypted. It is then split into corry.zip.001 etc. Joining the files produces a corry.zip. folder in which is corry.zip. Extracting with 7Zip produces the error '0 Cannot open file corry.zip\corry.zip as archive'. Using winrar produces 'The archive is corupt'. Winrar can 'see' the contents of the file as corry.ts.

I think the downloaded files must not be corrupt as 7Zip is able to join them without error. It is strange why it cannot then extract the file.

Any suggestions would be welcome. Just out of interest I am on one of the top 10 islands in the South China Sea but I still want to crack this and keep my special massages lol.

Who says the files get interpreted in the process of joining? It might be a simple case of concatenating them. I suggest running a checksum or hash on the files before and after transmission, though how you would do that at the Humax end I don't know.

I suggest running a checksum or hash on the files before and after transmission, though how you would do that at the Humax end I don't know.

Busybox has sha1sum, sha256sum and sha512sum built in, Try something like :-

Code:
humax# sha1sum reset_1.0.0_mipsel.opk
4b7cffccc381c35c9c26cb0d8e9ab8c9f12ca33c  reset_1.0.0_mipsel.opk
EDIT
P.C. (Windows version) HERE

Who says the files get interpreted in the process of joining? It might be a simple case of concatenating them. I suggest running a checksum or hash on the files before and after transmission, though how you would do that at the Humax end I don't know.

What do you mean by 'interpreted'? Each file is joined to the previous one to make up the whole. Then, the file can be extracted as if it had been made in one. The puzzelling thing is the lack of an error from 7Zip. If the file were split by winrar it would produe an error when attempting to join.

Busybox has sha1sum, sha256sum and sha512sum built in, Try something like :-

Code:
humax# sha1sum reset_1.0.0_mipsel.opk
4b7cffccc381c35c9c26cb0d8e9ab8c9f12ca33c  reset_1.0.0_mipsel.opk
EDIT
P.C. (Windows version) HERE

Thanks for that but could you elaborate on it's use?

Thanks for that but could you elaborate on it's use?

O.K. Using Telnet, goto the folder on the Humax where the corry.zip.001 is and enter sha1sum corry.zip.001 you should get something like this :-

Code:
humax# sha1sum corry.zip.001
4b7cffccc381c35c9c26cb0d8e9ab8c9f12ca33c  corry.zip.001

This string of 40 hexidecimal characters will change if the file is changed and can be compared with the sha1sum when run on a P.C. in a CMD window e.g. START >> Run >> cmd

Many thanks for that explanation. However as there are some 70 files I cannoy justify the time to do that for each.
I remember having a facility which was on the source machine and on the client. Each file was automatically compared and any corrupt were overwritten with the corect file. I forget what this facility was called but can access it via a friend when I return to the UK.

You wouldn't do it manually for a large batch the way you would for one file. I expect the sha utility can take wild cards in its input and putting ">" after will cause the output to be written to a file instead of being output to the console. You can then copy the file across by FTP or whatever and compare it locally with a similar locally generated hash list.

Further, if you end the command line with "&", it will get on and complete the command in the background without having to leave the Telnet session open.

Yes, thinking about it all you need to do is hash one file of any sort (representative of the chunks), send it, hash it at the other end to see if even one part makes it intact.

I will attempt your suggestions when I get back to the mailand. Here I can only get intermittant internet access.

I was browsing the latest PCPlus and spotted a mention of wget - it looks like it might offer a solution to your problems:

(talking about using Linux commands on a Windows PC, in this case via the GNU on Windows package, but we know wget is available on its own)

...If you would like an example, take wget. You might just use this to automate the download of a single file, but if the file is huge then you can download a chunk now and continue with the rest later. You might schedule the download to run at a certain time, authenticate the connection with a user name and password, and restrict the download rate so it won't hog all your bandwidth - the tool has more than 100 command line switches.

Before the WebIF "Download" option made life convenient, even before the custom software at all, wget provided access to the DLNA port :9000 and enabled direct downloads of StDef that are decrypted in the process (you need auto-unprotect to do the same with HiDef, and although it should be possible to do the same by plugging the right URL into a web browser I always had problems with that method).

With the reported capabilities of wget, and the ability to access your HDR from the wider Internet (presumably you will need to set up appropriate port forwarding), you might be able to download your Corrie, in chunks, at capped bandwidth, without any involvement of the custom software at all (other than to discover the correct URL for the download).

Once the file is decrypted and split into chunks I don't use custom software. I use winSCP. The problem I have is possible corruption during transfer or not knowing how to use the splitting software correctly. winSCP is secure, is uGET?

I will be in China in 4 days and will have more time to investigate. I have not been able to try previous suggestions yet.

However it seems I have lost contact withe the Humax since 20th March when it was 'Last Seen' by Remote Scheduling. I think it has somehow become corrupted as I know it is powered.

To keep HWMBO happy I am currently downloading Corry via torrents. Forgot to tell her that was possible ;)

Back