9200T hard disk problem

peterjh

I replaced the disk drive on my Hummy about 9 months ago using a Seagate ST 3320311 CS and a StarTech IDE2SAT convertor and it has worked well. Recently the Hummy reported a hard disk error. I checked the disk using Sea Tools and the short tests were OK so I replaced the convertor and the ribbon cable but no change. Although the Sea Tools tests were OK the disk does not appear when I check the computer on Windows Explorer.

Anyone got any ideas?

Try formatting the drive and crossing your fingers. After a while the HDD can get corrupted, this happens erratically and for no apparent reason.

After testing the HDD with the convertor on my PC and everything else by substitution I could not prove anything was faulty. Sometimes I could get programmes but no Record function on the menu and sometimes "Please wait" and then nothing. I did a full format on my PC via the IDE interface and the converter without any problem. I put the HDD back in the Hummy using the same long IDE cable. The Hummy booted up OK but I was left with "Please wait" again. I then put back the original short IDE cable and it booted up properly with a full menu and I was able to do a recording.

As you suggested the HDD may have become corrupted but the IDE cable was also significant.

Thanks for your comment; case closed.

Back