A Personal Tale of Medical Ethics Etc

It remains ongoing. The "chain of circumstances" alluded to elsewhere includes much that was written here.

(In brief) subsequently, the brother made what he decided belonged to me available for collection, and disputed any debt offering only a "good will" gesture (I saw no good will about it). So far as I was concerned he was responsible for removing my property and should be responsible for returning it, but for expediency gave in on that point and sent a courier. Weirdly, a £10 note was enclosed without announcement, presumably as compensation for the cost of the courier, so why didn't he just arrange delivery? And why not say he was willing to reimburse (which would have defused one of the arguments)?

Most things I can think of were received, although had I been allowed an inspection there may well have been things I have forgotten (ditto following R's death last autumn). However, the HDR had a WiFi dongle fitted, and although I have the aerial stalk there is no sign of the dongle itself. Weird.

I've threatened the small claims court over the financial debt, but the response was a letter from a solicitor (presumably a golfing buddy or the like) threatening to counter-sue for harassment! What harassment? There hasn't been any. If that was the case anybody being sent debt collectors could sue for harassment. Neither has there been any explanation why he believes the estate is not responsible for the debt. I can't see that this "solicitor" (I've checked he exists) is acting professionally.

I have a tame solicitor who is prepared to write to his solicitor, but I need to set everything out for her and I've been distracted with other more urgent things. Debts don't expire until 7 years so I don't mind playing a long game.

I was once threatened in the same way by a retailer's solicitor, but as I was in the right I just went ahead with the small claims court.
That concentrated their minds and they paid up following the judgement.
My advice would be, if you are fairly certain you have been wronged, is to make your claim anyway.
The court will decide one way or another, if it goes in your favour they can't do anything. If it goes against you, just move on. Life is short enough.

There is an online money claim service these days which is an easier and probably cheaper route than small claims court (for qualifying claims).

I discovered and used it last year to poke an airline that was studiously ignoring my compensation claim. It's a time limited process and they settled very quickly after that.

MikeSh, as an aside to your airline claim, we waited months for the expected rebuff, but followed it up with a free Civil Aviation Authority claim. Sorted within a few weeks.

MikeSh, as an aside to your airline claim, we waited months for the expected rebuff, but followed it up with a free Civil Aviation Authority claim. Sorted within a few weeks.
Yes, I was aware of the CAA system but I don't remember why I didn't use it. I was following some advice on a website specifically about airline claims (possibly even 'that' airline) and they may have recommended this. Also I was claiming for various expenses like hotels and travel costs, not just the statutory delay compensation.

Back