A quick question regarding custom firmware

Ratsea

A quick question regarding custom firmware, I want to apply the latest firmware to my 10 year old Foxsat-HDR. I haven't seen any reference to the HDD being wiped. I have a number of old recordings that I don't want to loose, what are the risks of corrupting the disk and rendering these useless.
I assume if the upgrade is successful, then all the existing recording remain in tack and readable.
Thanks
Richard

Correct. Custom firmware is installed in the Flash memory the same as any other firmware update, indeed the unit can operate without a HDD at all (it just won't record). Some disk space is used for downloadable "packages" to implement extra functions.

None of this affects existing recordings, in fact existing recordings are safer with CF installed because of access to non-destructive file system repair tools.

Correct. Custom firmware is installed in the Flash memory the same as any other firmware update, indeed the unit can operate without a HDD at all (it just won't record). Some disk space is used for downloadable "packages" to implement extra functions.

None of this affects existing recordings, in fact existing recordings are safer with CF installed because of access to non-destructive file system repair tools.
Thanks, and all up and working. Great.

Have you got nowsters patch installed to decrypt future recordings installed?

Thanks for the tip - I have now, and it seems to prevent encryption on a quick test. I now just need to get Remote Scheduling working., but I can't register.

To quibble. doesn't Nowster's patch prevent HD recordings from being encrypted in the first place.
That's exactly the reason that I said future recordings. :) . Ah. Just had another read and have noticed the subtle difference. And of course, you are more correct than I.:laugh:

Yes, I used the 'utc' version - lucky! I am still struggling to register on link /rs.hpkg.tv/ so I can use the Remote Scheduler. I have tried forgotten password and I get link sent to renew, but it never arrives. Also trying through the local webpage, says email registered, but access denied.
Any suggestions?

Sorry about that, the emails should be fixed now so please try and reset your password via the web interface - when you registered from the Humax web interface the account will have been created. @Ratsea

That's exactly the reason that I said future recordings. :) . Ah. Just had another read and have noticed the subtle difference. And of course, you are more correct than I.:laugh:
Interestingly, if you use the Humax interface to copy old encrypted recordings to a NAS drive (enabled with this CF), they do play from the Humax. It is the same one that recorded the material of course, but it does expand the storage options. If you copy them with a PC using SAMBA, the videos are not visible in the Humax Media menu despite being visible in the Webif Media files menu.
Richard

If you copy them with a PC using SAMBA, the videos are not visible in the Humax Media menu despite being visible in the Webif Media files menu.
That might be because you have only copied the actual video data and not the sidecar files that go with it. The Humax system relies on the sidecar files being present.

I did copy all 4 items per recording (.xxx folder and .ts .hmt .nts files) but I wonder if the .hmt file had something to do with preventing visibility as it contains the address of the video, so if its in the wrong path it disappears. In fact I 'lost' a couple of recordings on the Humax interface but when I created the right path for a video, it reappeared on the interface. Perhaps there is a guide on file management somewhere?

I wonder if the .hmt file had something to do with preventing visibility as it contains the address of the video, so if its in the wrong path it disappears.
I don't think that's the case on HDR-FOX, must be a FOXSAT thing, but that would certainly explain it.

In fact I 'lost' a couple of recordings on the Humax interface but when I created the right path for a video, it reappeared on the interface.
There's a package called fixfilepaths which looks like it might be worth investigating.

I am still curious about encryption. I have installed Nowster as recommended so this may be doing more than I expected.
I have found that I have videos (xxx.ts) that play on the TV/Humax and also on my PC from a NAS drive having copied them (and sidecars) from the HDD to a folder on the NAS, despite being tagged ENC. I used the PC and SAMBA for this, not the Humax copy/move as it was just too slow.
This is great news as I can now move all the old stuff off the Humax HDD, which is only small and retain full access to playback. I haven't expected to be able to do this with old ENC tagged files.

On HDR-FOX (and FOXSAT could be different), ENC means the recording is protected - not that it is definitely encrypted. DEC is the flag which determines whether the recording requires decryption on playback (no DEC flag means it does).

Therefore we can hypothesise that Nowster's patch causes recordings to be made without encryption, but HiDef recordings are still marked as protected.

Back