A simple question about documentation

D

Deleted member 473

Suppose a user has tinyFTP installed and knows to use humaxftp/0000 as username/password.

Suppose they then read that vsftpd has more features, and install that, uninstalling tinyftp in the process. What route would they follow to find out what username and password to use with this ftp daemon?

It's documented in the readme.txt supplied with the firmware. Extract of the relevant section attached below:

TinyFTP
-------
The default login name and password is "HumaxFTP" and "0000" respectively.
Login credentials can be changed by editing the file "tinyftp.conf" which can be found in "/opt/etc"

vsFTPd
-------
If you install vsftpd instead of tinyftp then system accounts are used for login.
There are two accounts available and you can login with either.
Please note that names and passwords are case sensitive.

The first account mirrors that of TinyFTP.
User name: 'HumaxFTP' Password '0000'
Logging in with these credentials will drop you directly into the /media folder.

More experienced users may want to login using the root account.
User name 'root' Password 'root'
This opens in the systems root folder, so you will need to navigate to /media to access your recordings.

Passwords for the two system accounts only (not TinyFTP username/password) can be changed by issuing a 'passwd' command via a telnet session.
i.e. enter 'passwd HumaxFTP' or 'passwd root' and follow the prompts.

Note:
Installing vsFTPd will stop any previous installed TinyFTP's process, and disable its auto-start, and vice-versa.
This is because you can only run one FTP server at once. However, it does not remove the application.
Users should then manage the running ftp server via the service utility.

It's documented in the readme.txt supplied with the firmware.

Ah, I would never have thought of looking there for documentation of an optional package! It was root having password root that I had forgotten. I was expecting 0000.

Many thanks, it is working now.

Ah, I would never have thought of looking there for documentation of an optional package! It was root having password root that I had forgotten. I was expecting 0000.

Many thanks, it is working now.

It's also documented in the web interface. Look under Documentation/Custom Firmware/Custom Apps: Installed from Online Repository/vsFTPd and you will find the exact same information. ;)

It's also documented in the web interface. Look under Documentation/Custom Firmware/Custom Apps: Installed from Online Repository/vsFTPd and you will find the exact same information. ;)

raydon! I find it hard enough to find your software, let alone the documentation!

Edit: http://myhumax.org/blog/?page_id=166

There it is! (The software, that is, but it's down the page and I always forget that.) (And also that the webIF has documentation, sorry!)

Brilliant software, though!

Thanks for including the link, but no, I and others don't find it Very easy to find. It's not at all easy to find unless you know exactly what search term to look for. It's not even on the first page of the latest thread on the other site that is devoted to it which is where you might expect it to be. You have to wade through loads of posts until you bump into where someone has asked, and someone else has posted a link as you have done here.

I feel certain that the link has been added recently since I mentioned it on their forum. I certainly couldn't find it when I was looking for 4.1.2 . But maybe I do them a miss service and it has been there all along. But whatever, I'm not the only one that has had probs finding it.

I feel certain that the link has been added recently since I mentioned it on their forum. I certainly couldn't find it when I was looking for 4.1.2 . But maybe I do them a miss service and it has been there all along. But whatever, I'm not the only one that has had probs finding it.
Trev, I can assure you that the links are not recent additions. Updated links are always available, and always have been, in the first post of the current thread on AV Forums. However, for the benefit of those having problems seeing them I've highlighted the links inside a box of red asterisks.

In which case, my humble apologies raydon.
I have looked for, and found it before on the first page of the current set of posts, but could not see it on the first page of the latest one except when I just had a look and found it and couldn't believe that I had missed it before. Must be me going blind in my old age. I love the new look with the *******s. I think that even I would have a problem missing that now. Thanks for putting me straight.
PS. Love the S/W:hug:

Trev, I can assure you that the links are not recent additions. Updated links are always available, and always have been, in the first post of the current thread on AV Forums. However, for the benefit of those having problems seeing them I've highlighted the links inside a box of red asterisks.

raydon, why not put that information in the thread title? That would make it much easier to find. The thread title says 4.0 and just above the link it says v4.0.x!

I agree, fantastic software but I still hold that, unless you know what you are looking for, it is difficult to find, which is a great, great pity.

unless you know what you are looking for, it is difficult to find
I think that statement could apply to almost anything.:disagree: Like saying you don't know what you need till you find it.
Any visitor to the Freesat section on AV forums will find it there. It's usually listed on the first page since it's always been a popular thread.:D

I think that statement could apply to almost anything.:disagree: Like saying you don't know what you need till you find it.
Any visitor to the Freesat section on AV forums will find it there. It's usually listed on the first page since it's always been a popular thread.:D
A potential user would need to know to go there though.

And end on a thread with the wrong title and misleading info about what is the latest firmware? :-D
The thread title is irrelevant, and the latest firmware is clearly identified in the 1st post of the latest thread.

The thread title is irrelevant, and the latest firmware is clearly identified in the 1st post of the latest thread.

Media & File Server Bundle for the Foxsat HDR - Release 4.0 - PART 5
Discussion in 'Freesat' started by raydon, Nov 8, 2013.

^^^^^^^^^WRONG VERSION INDICATED
Page 1 of 2

Next >

raydonActive Member
    Continued from part 4 of the thread.

(This is the first post from the original thread, repeated here for your convenience.)

O.K guys, here's what you Foxsat HDR owners have been waiting for.
    To further enhance your Freesat experience, I am very pleased to announce the release of v4.0 (WRONG!) the Media & File Server Bundle.
    v3.0c dowloads are now standing at 3,941 so I'm hoping this release will prove as popular, if not even more so.

Firstly, I would like to thank af123 (or af12345 as he is known here on AV Forums) for kindly allowing me to use his original ideas and sources from the HDR Fox T2 web interface development, as the basis for the web interface and support applications you find released here in v4.0. (WRONG!)
    And also for agreeing to host the web based repository for the application packages. Without his help none of this would have been possible.
    Thank You !

New features in v4.0.x <<<<<<<<<<<<--------------------WRONG VERSION INDICATED

A fully functioning web interface for the Foxsat HDR.

A package management system with web based repository for the downloading and updating of applications.
    This can be accessed both from the web interface and from the command line.

A service management system to display status of custom applications, start or stop them, and disable/enable boot-time autostart.
    Again, this is accessible from the web interface and the command line.

Back