A Tivo user joins up....

socrates

I'm a long term Tivo user - a few years back I bought a PVR8000T to watch and record Freeview then when analogue died I stuck a cheap Freeview box onto the Tivo to restore twin tuner capability. I've now just replaced 50kg of CRT technology with a 6kg LED screen with only one scart - so for now the 8000T is disconnected ( still prefer Tivo for SD ).
I'm thinking of getting the Fox HDR T2 to replace the 8000T- there are however a couple of recordings I don't want to loose. Is there a simple way to transfer them? The 8000T seems to have limited connectivity.

I'm a long term Tivo user - a few years back I bought a PVR8000T to watch and record Freeview then when analogue died I stuck a cheap Freeview box onto the Tivo to restore twin tuner capability. I've now just replaced 50kg of CRT technology with a 6kg LED screen with only one scart - so for now the 8000T is disconnected ( still prefer Tivo for SD ).
I'm thinking of getting the Fox HDR T2 to replace the 8000T- there are however a couple of recordings I don't want to loose. Is there a simple way to transfer them? The 8000T seems to have limited connectivity.

Welcome to the hummy.tv forum, unfortunately it is not possible to record from a scart input on the HDR-Fox T2, it only records from it's internal tuners. I still own an 8000T and transferred the files that were on it using a Sony Freeview DVD recorder which will record from it's scart input

I thought the Tivo could record from an external source such as the 8000T using a SCART lead connection?

Yes - the Tivo currently takes it's live TV from the Freeview stb via scart so I'm sure that if I swap that for the 8000t output scart it will record. The program labelling will be dubious since the Tivo normally gets this from its own epg data. But I'm only taking about a few programmes so I can live with that.
BTW - the Tivo in question is an original 2001 model still going strong and using the alternative epg set up when Virgin pulled the plug last year. I believe the current Virgin Tivo is locked down and can't handle external devices.
But this is a Humax forum so I'm off to find out more about the HDR Fox T2.

There may be a Tivo mod kicking around that allows you to rename recordings? Though I am surprised that such a basic requirement is not a native function.

Another option would be to use a video capture card on your computer and play out the 8000T recordings to that and thence move them to the Fox T2 (or just use the computer as a media server).

There may be a Tivo mod kicking around that allows you to rename recordings? Though I am surprised that such a basic requirement is not a native function.

I expect there is but it's a bit late in the day to start delving inside the box for the sake of a couple of recordings. The joy of the Tivo was always it's simplicity and reliability - today's PVRs are undoubtedly more capable but I doubt any yet match the Tivo interface. And I can operate the remote, in the dark, after a bottle of wine!

But there's always a trade off so maybe time I moved on. I notice that the Tivo SD output gets a bit fizzy on rapid movement when upscaled to the new TV ( Samsung UE32EH5000 ) whereas the integral tuner is fine on SD. Hopefully the HDR will be too.

today's PVRs are undoubtedly more capable but I doubt any yet match the Tivo interface
I confess I have never played with a Tivo but my Topfield/MyStuff PVR is the Gold Standard as far as usability goes which none of the current crop of PVRs even gets close to. But that counts as yesterday's machine as it is SD only and undoubtedly the picture quality over SCART is not quite as good as a modern PVR over HDMI. Still useful though for radio recordings to rip to my MP3 player, making backup recordings of live sport for when the broadcasters get the Accurate Recording wrong or make mid-coverage channel changes and for feeding the bedroom TV where PQ is not a priority..

Back