About to order but is 1TB model still having "issues"

gsmetcalf

Hi All,

Sorry for the Newbie question, Im about to order a Humax HDR-FOX T2, and the 1TB version is only £10 more than the 500GB, so seems like a no brainer. However reading a few threads it appears there may be issues ? ( Freezing etc ). Was this just the original batch ?

Would you play it safe and get a 500GB ? Or is it safe to order the 1TB now?

( Ex Toppy owner looking forward to tweaking )

Thanks in advance,

G

Sorry for the Newbie question, Im about to order a Humax HDR-FOX T2, and the 1TB version is only £10 more than the 500GB, so seems like a no brainer. However reading a few threads it appears there may be issues ? ( Freezing etc ). Was this just the original batch ?
We have had a 1TB model for nearly 2 years without problem. Some people think the 1TB is more susceptible to long term problems with the hard drive but I have my doubts about whether the number of reports is statistically significant.

Maybe we've just been unlucky, but I've had 3 returns since we first bought the thing (1TB model).
  • The first return was a definite disk fail. Swapped under warranty.
  • The second one we weren't sure what was going on but the box was crashing a lot. Swapped under warranty replacement promptly crashed too, at which point I thought "maybe it's something external" and switched from HDMI to SCART (oldish Toshiba Regza TV on the other end). Perfectly stable since then, at least until...
  • The third time the disk seemed to start playing up again. By now, the firmware included a disk testing mode which confirmed there was a problem and continued to report errors even after the recommended reformat. Still under warranty, but this time humax didn't have any replacements to swap so it was repaired (took a couple of weeks). I noted from their online repair ticket tracker they put a Seagate disk in as a replacement which 5-10 years ago would have made me very happy but I'm not so sure how they rate as a brand these days.
Box has been good in the few months since, but I'm sort of dreading the 2 year warranty expiring early next year :frantic:

Would you play it safe and get a 500GB ? Or is it safe to order the 1TB now?

Check through this topic, I have not got around to correlating the information yet:

http://hummy.tv/forum/threads/humax-faults-v-serial-number.688/

Thanks Tim - A bit late for me now :(, my box arrived on Saturday. However it will make me register the warranty :)

Initial impressions ( probably the wrong thread ):
Poor tuner - Sony Bravia HX923 has no issue with the signal, but the Humax seems really picky, so I can't get BBC HD at all and get a few break ups on other channels ( 4 Music ). I can't get the signal strength on the Humax above 47%, decent Televes DAT 45 Antenna and was on the roof tweaking on Sunday :cool: ( Hannington transmitter I think ), and like I say work perfectly fine with the one built into my TV.

Apart from that, so far so good. Having switched from Virgin & TIVO I now need to wait a week for a fiber connection from BT so I can upgrade the firmware....

Try the signal with the actual aerial lead moved from the TV to the Humax, it is not uncommon for there to be a problem with a specific wire.

I purchased new cables on Saturday ( just to make sure ), I've tried both ways round, and with / without the TV tuner connected. No difference unfortunately :(.

If anything the humax tuner is far too sensitive . Check you have no channels in the 800's maybe you've got the wrong transmitter

Thanks for all the tips.

I think my area is post DSO ( isn't everywhere ? I'm in Camberley, Surrey ) Just been reading the manual tuning instructions:
Crystal Palace is recommended:
Now
1 Oct 12​

• 30-

• 28-

Ill check the channels tonight - as im sure i had 22, 23, etc and the last one was 40 something - so would indicate a rouge.

There are no 800 channels, and I have the antenna plugged into an amplifier, then into the humax ( amplifier gives about 10% signal boost - and finds more than 2 mux's ;-) ). Coax was replaced from mast to wall about 5 yrs ago.

I would say that if you don't have any channels in the 800s, then a re-tune won't help, but it's worth a try

So the MUX'es were correct, however mux 30 was reporting zero signal, zero quality. A manual scan didn't work. I did a system reset, scanned, then rescanned ( annoying popup ), and now have all channels working fine. The only thing I changed was I had previously set the box to output 1080p, which i know isn't broadcast, but was an option so I chose it :), I 'think' this causes the tuner to ignore the 1080i broadcasts when scanning ? This is a hunch as I've not had chance to test a repeatable scenario.

Either way i'm sorted ( although there are still more breakups / distortion than on the Sony tuner ), thanks for the tips..... now to patiently wait for broadband before I can play with the portal / firmware :)

I think the '1080i broadcasts' are a red herring, 1080i and 1080p are alternately used on the same channel, the BBC switches from one to the other many times during the same program

Back