Advice on best set-up for HDR-FOX T2 and FOXSAT-HDR

HDR-FOX uses the AAC audio codec
It's not that the HDR-FOX "uses" AAC; DVB-T2 broadcast streams are H.264/AAC. The PVR simply records what it receives (as do all PVRs).

You are correct: DVB-S2 is H.264/AC3 (according to my brief google). The HiDef audio stream is not cross-compatible.

I use FLV MP3 converter to create the ac3 file and tsmuxergui to remux the video and audio for AV2HDR. Note AV2HDR has problems with the latest version of tsamuxer - look for version 1:10:06.

Note it is not unrealistic to consider converting the audio stream using the HDR-FOX and the appropriate ffmpeg command, pre-export or post-import (the Foxsat is less powerful). I'm not sure anyone has tried an AAC/AC3 conversion, but MP2-MP3 conversion is approximately real-time.

Last edited:
Thanks. I hadn't heard multiplexes referred to as COMs before.
They aren't all like that - it's just a label attached to some of them - the COMmercial ones, as opposed to the Public Service Broadcasting (PSB) ones, or Local ones.
Given that the TV received sufficient signal for each of those services on the COM4 multiplex
But you don't know how much until you look at the figures or whether it is close to the digital cliff or not.
I assumed...
Always a bad idea.
I tried with a 10m cable that I knew was good and discovered that I could now access all of the COM4 channels that I listed above with decent signal quality
Fault-finding by substitution is usually a good idea.
(even though the old cable works fine directly with the TV and used to work fine with the HDR-FOX before I moved in May).
It may work, but fairly obviously it does not work "fine". That's why you need the figures. I expect it's been crushed or bent too much and there's some frequency selective loss going on.
I'll check the signal strength and quality when I get chance, but the picture quality on all of the COM4 channels seemed fine
That's the thing with digital stuff - it appears to work "fine" until it doesn't. The picture quality doesn't change as the signal varies. You don't know how close to the threshold of it not working you are - that's why you need the figures from the receiver.

I hadn't heard multiplexes referred to as COMs before.
As others have pointed out these are labels used for the terrestrial multiplexes. It might be worth pointing out that each multiplex is known by two different names - adding to the confusion. Hence PSB1 (or BBCA), PSB2 (D3&4), PSB3 (BBCB), COM4 (SDN), COM5 (ARQA), COM6 (ARQB), COM7 (NUK7), COM8 (NUK8) and then there are local muxes (LOC1, LOC2 - however possibly known by another name eg. L-NOT). No wonder you'd never heard of them! :confused:

Back