always on the red button when switching on

OK, you win.:( No, hang on a mo.
You have now spelled it out in words of few syllables how to do it. So I win:roflmao:

i've no idea? i just find it odd that it only recently started to change the channel to 200, maybe 7-10 days ago at the most?
But that's the point, isn't it. I'm postulating that previously your power-on-channel was set to ensure a boot to what you wanted, and now isn't working because there are no boots taking place. You need to confirm whether the unit is going into delinquent half-awake and therefore preventing power-on-channel (or boot-settings) taking effect.

is disable-ota still necessary?
The link in post 8 explains why you need it. If you decide not to use it, that's your choice.

is there nothing that can override these things to keep my favourites? what is a boot anyway. i switch it off at night, and it comes on again when disable-ota activates at 0400 or so
See above. Just get it working and you should be fine.

You have now spelled it out in words of few syllables how to do it. So I win:roflmao:
Derrr! That's pretty much exactly what I said in section 18!!!

Tune the box to CH3, Set PoC or boot settings to ch 4. Switch it off at the wall. Switch it on. What channel does it start on. If ch 4 then PoC or boot settings is working as designed. If it doesn't 'work' overnight, then the box ain't booting. The most likely reason seems to be that the box is in the delinquent state. To check this. Switch the box into standby and check that the HDD stops spinning.
If it is in this state in standby, then see if any of the things mentioned in Things Every Sect 18 are true.

i rebooted it from webif and it came on this morning to channel 1 with my favourites, hopefully problem solved, thanks for all input

No! Rebooting initiated from the WebIF is not the same as putting it into standby and powering up again. The WebIF diagnostics reboot is a forced reboot; exiting standby is only a reboot if standby was entered successfully (not delinquent half-awake).

The problem is only resolved if you get no problems without a WebIF reboot.

oh ok, as i've said before, i put the unit into standby every night when i go to bed, i hear it power down and the lights change colour to its resting state. i'll let you know what happens tomorrow morning anyway, enjoy your days

I think checking the activity.log for the absence of expected 'System booted' records is the easiest and clearest evidence of a system being in delinquent half awake state and doesn't depend on listening for clicks that are not easy to detect with my hearing!

That's the sort of thing I was looking for.
It must be a bad omen for me as mine started on BBCRB this morning. I have done no other investigation yet though.:(

Back