Americanisms

Where do I start! I'm watching an episode of Battle Factory, dealing with a bomb disposal robot. Disregarding "aluminum" (and the exact definition of "robot"), apparently the electrostatic powder-coat paint clings "magnetically", "chassis" is pronounced with a hard ch (as in "cheese"), and the use of the robot protects humans from "jeopardy" rather than just danger.

I'm sure there are many inaccuracies in this program(me). I too noticed the 'electrostatic magnetism'.
An early program said a couple of times that the BVS10/Viking armoured vehicle weighed 1½ tons. I thought "WHAT!! No way!". So I googled it and it obviously should have been 10½ tons. Whether that is sloppy research, sloppy scripting or sloppy narration I don't know, but I now tend to watch the pictures more than listen to the narrator.

Where do I start! I'm watching an episode of Battle Factory, dealing with a bomb disposal robot. Disregarding "aluminum" (and the exact definition of "robot"), apparently the electrostatic powder-coat paint clings "magnetically", "chassis" is pronounced with a hard ch (as in "cheese"), and the use of the robot protects humans from "jeopardy" rather than just danger.

The bad science trumps your other observations.
A quick Google search reveals that at least two American powder coating companies believe in "magnetic" attraction.
http://jlmpainting.com/electrostatic-painting-vs-powder-coating.php "Electrostatic painting is often confused for powder coating. Both processes use electric charges to create magnetic bonds between the paint and the object, ... "
http://www.competitiveedgecoatings.com/pages/powder_coating.php. "Powder coat is applied using a special electrostatic spray gun. The particles are charged with static electricity and are then sprayed on to metal surfaces that have been electrically grounded. This makes the particles adhere to the surfaces thus creating a magnetic attraction."
Perhaps my electrical engineering knowledge is disappearing with lack of use, but these quotes, and the one you refer to seem bogus to me. I hate bad science. (I'll hate my own lack of knowledge if the science turns out to be correct. However, I will not eat my hat if I'm wrong!)

Back