Americanisms

Even XNOR, one I have to say I didn't come across when using this form of logic in the 70's, although it was available

Last edited:
Even XNOR, one I have to say I didn't come across when using this form of logic in the 70's, although it was available
Certainly was. I have a University handout from 1980 (ish) and that refers to NXOR. (Although I prefer XNOR, it's easier to pronounce)

Yes, Texas Instruments produced the 74266 Quad 2 input Exclusive NOR in December 1972, I have a revised data sheet from October 1976

But what all this shows is that lawyers are ignorant idiots, Shirley. Why avoid logical operators to construct logical statements?

They would first have to have a lengthy discussion about which rules for the order of precedence to use.

What are brackets for? Duh!

Actually, law isn't logical anyway. A later law can contradict an earlier law, in which case the earlier one is deemed to be repealed. So... LawA and LawB are passed and together logically imply LawC. Next, LawD is passed, which logically contradicts LawC. What has now been repealed? LawA or LawB?

Just spotted a comma that appears to be masquerading as a "but" (Scientific American, March 2015 page 14):

"Fridge noises become less mysterious, still annoy"

There was plenty of room on the page to have inserted the "but"!

Just spotted a comma that appears to be masquerading as a "but" (Scientific American, March 2015 page 14):

"Fridge noises become less mysterious, still annoy"

There was plenty of room on the page to have inserted the "but"!

However, given the magazine, are you referring to a big American butt? Would there be enough space for one of those?
(Oh dear, stereotyping - and we do have an obesity "crisis" here).

It's the combination of two logical operators (ditto NOR).

It's a binary logical operator in its own right. There are just 16 of them, and only 8 are symmetric. Two are trivial, mapping to True or False, whatever the operands. One of the non-symmetric ones maps A and B to just A, another maps A and B to just B, a third is the operation A→B, a fourth is B→A. It is easy to list the remainder.

The pedantic forum.

The symmetric operators all seem to have names:

T, F, AND, OR, EQUALS, NOR, NAND, XOR

To be pedantic, not the pedantic forum but a pedantic topic within the anything-goes section of the forum.

Back