Americanisms

Well that clears it up - first it says the OED has both z and s variants then at the end of that first section it says "In 2011 the University of Oxford website recommended the use of "s" rather than "z" spellings for its public relations material"

Zo I shall rize to the challenge, and I will attempt to standardize my uzage in order that there be no further confuzion - I suppoze the good newz is that my scorez in Scrabble (or is that now Zcrabble) should increaze but the bad newz is that crozzwords could be tricky if you don't know which spelling they are expecting you to uze!!

Crozzwordz will be no trouble, az all your "z"z will be "z"z.

Zo I shall rize to the challenge, and I will attempt to standardize my uzage in order that there be no further confuzion - I suppoze the good newz is that my scorez in Scrabble (or is that now Zcrabble) should increaze but the bad newz is that crozzwords could be tricky if you don't know which spelling they are expecting you to uze!!

Epic Fail! :D

Try unticking that option, coming all the way out then go back in and tick it again.
I've done as you suggested, although I couldn't see the point, and there is no change. As I see it, it has to be something done at the poster's (af's) end.

I've done as you suggested, although I couldn't see the point, and there is no change. As I see it, it has to be something done at the poster's (af's) end.
That is correct, I seem to recall that you have previously said that you couldn't see my posts, but can now, because I have recently ticked this option. Perhaps af123 has recently unticked the option for some reason.

Headlines in American (particularly technical) papers frequently replace "and" or "or" with a comma, leading to a difficulty parsing, eg (here's one I prepared earlier):

"Rare Earth Magnets: Enabling Technology, Future Millstone?"
Hellfire! I spotted it in a British journal today (Electronics Weekly 4/2/15):
Start-up firm develops pen to test vitamin, mineral levels
:frantic:

They're not redundant - should the comma be read as an "or" or an "and"? In this case I admit it is probably "and", but grammatically these are now two clauses. It doesn't work!

Eek! Did it make sense?? I guess they do that so they keep themselves in a job arguing about what it means.

This is why legal document eschew the use of commas. Less understandable is why they eschew the proper use of AND and OR which seem to serve logicians so well.
Do they use nand a lot?

No, but the sneak in a few NORs now and again.
I thought that nand was a type of gate not a logical operator.

Back