Amusing Items

the insanity kicked in long before he spent $2844 on a fuse
One has to wonder where these (alleged) super-duper fuses actually come from. Who manufactures them, and out of what?
Or perhaps they just get a bag of 'em from RS and paint them a pretty colour or something.
This outfit must be Russ Andrews' American cousin or something.

I'm struggling to think of a place that meets the cool, dark, dry requirements that isn't the fridge, especially as we might be heading into Spring now that June is nearly here and we may be getting slightly higher ambient temperatures.

I don't mind garlic, but an 80g portion is too much. An excess garlic input by my GP didn't stop him getting too close when trying to examine my eyes thinking there might be damage due to my very high blood pressure. (There wasn't, but I was advised to get my eyes tested properly by an ophthalmologist).

When we used garlic bulbs I'd put them in the fridge along with onions, even though we have a pantry. Now I use frozen ready diced garlic for the few times I need it - reduces waste. Ditto onions.

Does anyone measure out an 80g portion of one of your five a day? I just take as much as I want and hope.

On the subject of garlic, here's the Early Purple Wight in the front garden here. Back garden has the later Cristo.

early purple wight.jpg

Last edited:
I've been doing some archaeology through old piles of written notes (pre-Internet), and came across this (I do not claim authorship):

Laws of Infernal Dynamics
  1. A body in motion is always headed in the wrong direction.

2. A body at rest is always in the wrong place.

3. The energy required to alter the state of a system is always more then the effort one is willing to apply, but less than that which makes it out of the question.

You must be as bored as I am
Let's just say I had my arm twisted!

That ditty was found in a box including: a line printer dump of a Pascal help file, week-per-view desk diaries dating back to the late '70s, programming guide for the Casio 502 programmable calculator (which I can still lay my hands on, no idea whether it still works), miscellaneous info and notes on Z80 machine code programming, details of the NASCOM1, and the complete circuit diagram for a VME processor card I designed at work in the '80s... but more importantly a course book on stats from Uni which I thought was lost (Barford – Experimental Measurement: Precision, Error, and Truth).

Last edited:
In my case it’s boxes with old research reports, research papers, some old line printer listings of programs and output data, uni lecture notes. Yes there is some Z80 info as well. I did find a manual for a long-since deceased Casio calculator. Then there are some backup CDs from about 20 years ago. And zip-drive cartridges. I also found some tape cartridges and a tape reel for VAX computers. Fat lot of use they are! But no comedy material. I seem to remember there was a small item printed, or rather SHOUTED, from a teletype terminal but I can’t find it now. I think it was a short piece about a wanted criminal using double meanings for milli, joules, cycles etc.

Back