Analogue Video to HDMI Con

Black Hole

May contain traces of nut
What use do we think these are?:

m009-2.jpg

Is this a con (on sale because the uninformed will get a search hit and buy it), or is there something about HDMI I'm not aware of??

It is possible, I suppose, these are meant to go the other way, if some devices are able to SOURCE analogue video from the HDMI connector using a special mode (saving having to fit normal analogue output connectors).

It all depends how you label the RCA (Phono) connectors, if they were labelled like this:-
Code:
HDMI          Phono
TMDS0 Data+    1-inner
TMDS0 Data-    1-outer
TMDS1 Data+    2-inner
TMDS1 Data-    2-outer
TMDS2 Data+    3-inner
TMDS2 Data-    3-outer
TMDS  Clk+     4-inner
TMDS  Clk-     4-outer
+5Volts        5-inner
0 Volts        5-outer

It almost works, apart from the fact that the phono outers are carrying different signals which isn't very common, I have never seen any equipment that uses this configuration, although the people selling them claim that some LCD projectors do. There are no HDMI connections that supply (or accept) analogue video or audio. Bottom line, Yes, most purchasers will have been conned

ROFL!!! In what way does it "almost" work (presumably like a brick can almost swim)?

:there-are-not-enough-smilies-on-this-forum:

At least there is now a search hit that will give people a clue. Thanks for confirming what I thought I knew.

ROFL!!! In what way does it "almost" work.
In that it conducts all necessary digital HDMI signals required to extract both Video/audio from one place to another, not all the 19 pins are required, it even provides the power supply as long as the D-A conversion takes less than 50mA (unlikely). There are 'active' types of this cable around with D-A built in, but I'm guessing that the one in your picture is 'passive'

Ah, but the subject bit of wire has gold plated connectors and looks a lot nicer than any old bit of wire. sigh

What use do we think these are?:

Is this a con (on sale because the uninformed will get a search hit and buy it), or is there something about HDMI I'm not aware of??

It is possible, I suppose, these are meant to go the other way, if some devices are able to SOURCE analogue video from the HDMI connector using a special mode (saving having to fit normal analogue output connectors).

Have you tried connecting RCA analogue outputs from anything to the HDMI input of an AV amp that only has HDMI inputs? I am just asking, not picking a fight. I know nothing?

No, have you? I wouldn't like to "just try it", something might break.

This was the point of my original enquiry: do these cables have any purpose other than to con the unwary that they can in fact connect analogue video ports to HDMI? Unfortunately the only response came from someone who likes to obfuscate.

No, have you? I wouldn't like to "just try it", something might break.

No! I did look at the reviews on Amazon, though, and most seem to be from people who fell for the con, suporting your argument.

However, scattered among the mostly 1* reviews are a handful of 5* reviews that might be shills, but I don't have the knowledge to tell.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/product-reviews/B003JGM8WU/ref=dp_top_cm_cr_acr_txt?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=1

Do you understand what they are saying? They seem to say that some/many AV amps accept analogue signals via HDMI, which can then be processed the same as digital signals.

What I *think* they are saying is what I postulated before: that in some instances an HDMI-format connector could be used merely as a convenient way to provide the electrical interconnect to analogue circuits in a small space. It would be very dangerous though, as there is no physical difference between an HDMI input and an HDMI output - presumably the electrical specification for HDMI permits two outputs to be connected together without damage.

It will work to use a passive HDMI switch box to switch analogue (what's wrong with using an analogue video switch box?), but whether any actual devices exist that can actively input or output analogue video on an HDMI port I don't know. A search has not revealed anything.

I went looking in the computer shops some time ago, wanting a converter for analogue to HDMI (or the other way around, I can't remember). Several offered me a SCART to DVI adapter and a DVI to HDMI lead, claiming it would work.

This was the point of my original enquiry: do these cables have any purpose other than to con the unwary that they can in fact connect analogue video ports to HDMI?
Have you tried asking your question to any of the many on-line suppliers of such cables? They may be able to provide you with the answers that you require.
Unfortunately the only response came from someone who likes to obfuscate.
Your comment gives the impression that you also like to "obfuscate" by using words that are not in common everyday use, that the average reader will not understand.

Your comment gives the impression that you also like to "obfuscate" by using words that are not in common everyday use, that the average reader will not understand.

Bit unfair, that.:disagree:

I don't think it's any more unfair than the original comment.:disagree:

Fair enough. I wasn't sure who the original comment referred to, as several people responded to the OP. Was it Ezra?

I hereby disculpate you! :p

BH said
I went looking in the computer shops some time ago, wanting a converter for analogue to HDMI (or the other way around, I can't remember). Several offered me a SCART to DVI adapter and a DVI to HDMI lead, claiming it would work.

One thing I've found is that adverts/shops are often unclear as to which way they may be converting - possibly one in 50 says which is the input side and which is the output. Since this may be a matter of importance to the buyer, I cannot see why some (possibly wrong) description is used at times.

I managed to find converters for HDMI (input) to DVI (output), and HDMI (input) to VGA (output) successfully.

BH said

One thing I've found is that adverts/shops are often unclear as to which way they may be converting - possibly one in 50 says which is the input side and which is the output. Since this may be a matter of importance to the buyer, I cannot see why some (possibly wrong) description is used at times.

I managed to find converters for HDMI (input) to DVI (output), and HDMI (input) to VGA (output) successfully.

Remember those Scart converter leads that had an In/Out slider switch on the Scart end? Trouble was, without printing arrows on them, it was never clear what In and Out meant. Did they mean into the device or into the lead?

Remember those Scart converter leads that had an In/Out slider switch on the Scart end? Trouble was, without printing arrows on them, it was never clear what In and Out meant. Did they mean into the device or into the lead?
I have/had at least one of those, and also those horrible ones which were only connected for one way - imagine trying to use those where the maker of equipment doesn't use the same conventions for IN and OUT (no description was offered) as most others (cost me a few wasted hours)

Back