And Another Toppy User Parachutes In

enz01

Hi Guys

I loved my Toppy but it really is showing it's age and the lack of HD-tuners/HDMI was the icing on the cake.

Hummy.tv was one of the main things that convinced me to go Humax (Fox HDR-T2) cos it seems to have the same friendliness and helpfulness that I always used to get from toppy.org! Anyway, got my HDR-T2 on Saturday and hummy.tv has already got me out of 2 holes viz:

1. Although our main feed is from Hannington, auto-scan picked up several different regions. From my toppy days, I knew that this can play hob with scheduling so I went for a manual install (thanks to biggles). Couldn't figure out why I couldn't see the HD channels when they were being picked up on auto-scan - a quick search on hummy.tv pointed me in the direction of the DVB-T/T2 setting and hey presto...Julia Bradbury in glorious HD:)

2. Controlling the vol of my Sony Bravia re the Hummy remote was also driving me bonkers. Worked on SD but not HD. After half an hour messing around with cables, different connection types and different audio settings on the Bravia (and there are a lot of them!), a hummy.tv search showed it was a well-known problem and setting to 'Stereo' did the trick.

So thanks to all and new doubt there will be a few stupid questions from me in the days to come. Apologies in advance but I will do my best to RTFM (where M=hummy.tv) before I ask them :)

2. Controlling the vol of my Sony Bravia re the Hummy remote was also driving me bonkers. Worked on SD but not HD. After half an hour messing around with cables, different connection types and different audio settings on the Bravia (and there are a lot of them!), a hummy.tv search showed it was a well-known problem and setting to 'Stereo' did the trick.

Do you really want to decrease the signal-to-noise ratio by controlling the TV's volume by attenuating the Humax's output level? It might not matter to you, but the best way is to leave the Humax at 20 and then press the "TV" button when controlling the sound level.

Don't pack the Toppy away. It still has many uses to complement its use alongside your new Freeview HD PVR.

Black Hole - I think the problem will be that my good lady may remember to switch to TV when changing the volume but I bet she'll forget to change back when she then wants to change the channels. Assuming it work s like my TV remote, it will then change the Bravia off the HDMI input to the TV input. Two or three occurrences of that and I will get significant earache:(

Gomezz - I am considering keeping it in series for SD recording via MyStuff. How do you use it to complement your hummy experience

Rescue may be at hand - we have ideas about a hack for the remote which will make it fully customisable, and volume contol override is on the agenda.

I am considering keeping it in series for SD recording via MyStuff. How do you use it to complement your hummy experience
1) To record radio programmes which I transfer to my laptop over USB and rip to my MP3 player to listen to in the van at work;

2) To record clashing programmes during prime time;

3) To record live sports coverage as a backup as you can't trust any other recorder to take care of overruns or channel switches;

4) To watch live and recorded programmes on my bedroom TV using a wireless video sender.

I too have an HDR-T2 and a Toppy 5810. I use the Toppy for SWMBO as she often wants me to record stuff but then falls asleep when she is watching it later! She won't delete anything, even partially viewed stuff recorded YEARS ago! I use the HDR for my stuff (no pun intended) and to watch HD programmes of course! They compliment each other beautifully.

4) To watch live and recorded programmes on my bedroom TV using a wireless video sender.
Although I have just treated myself to a Neet HDMI splitter and 15M HDMI cable so I can view HD programmes from either my Freeview HD or Freesat HD PVR in full glorious solid quality while I enjoy my first caffeine boost of the day in bed. TBH the wireless video sender signal is a bit like watching an old portable analogue TV with a set top aerial or a poor quality VHS tape. I will still be using that for its remote control extender functionality though.

I don't know what all the fuss is about watching HiDef programmes via HDMI. I admit the sound quality is better, but using Scart (RGB) produces excellent results from both my boxes.

I don't have a SCART or other RGB connection on the Qumi, but either of those beats modulated UHF or video sender hands down.

However, if you can't tell the difference between a HiDef source via HDMI and a HiDef source by SCART RGB, I suggest your TV isn't top notch. That said, I mostly watch StDef and find it perfectly acceptable.

Well the difference is nowhere near that shown on split screens in TV shops. Very few programmes are true 1080i as yet anyway. GIGO.

Back