Another computer question...

Not so much a question as an observation:

For my Win7 notebook I use Apache OpenOffice as my WP & spreadsheet, and I have DOpus as a Windows Explorer replacement. This could be something to do with them, but it might also be native behaviour for Win7.

If I create a PDF from OO, I like it to go to a specific default "PDF Output" folder so I know where it is and can move it where I want later. (It would be nice if OO offered to put it in the folder containing the currently open document automatically, but it doesn't and remembers the last place you outputted a PDF to... hence the convenience of a specific folder for that purpose.) But (get this!), if I then use DOpus to drag the PDF to another folder, OO somehow knows and opens that other folder as its next default PDF output destination!

However, if I first rename the output file (in DOpus) before dragging it elsewhere, the link is broken and OO defaults to the previous location again.

Somebody with more knowledge of how Windows manages its file systems might be able to explain this, but I can't see how actions in DOpus get back to OO.

Was OO open at the time you did the move? Most OS's have filesystem change/notify hooks, so OO might be noticing the change.

Yes, I suppose it was. I've got even more confused now - playing around with a few combinations, I found the same as before, but then after I told the PDF output to go to a specific folder (without then moving the file), when I re-opened the PDF output dialogue it defaulted to the previous destination not the new one. :confused:

True, I associated .db with database, but then you associated database with Sqlite database. When is a list a database, or vice-versa?
Anyway, it really wasn't worthy of all this discussion. I almost wish I hadn't bothered now.
Tricky one - when is a database not a database and just a table? I suggest a "database" has to include some kind of relational aspect.

That means you must have a minimum of two tables, related by some sort of key field then?
If everything can be done in a single table, then it is a lookup table (or non relational database).

Dunno, but the metre is not related to anything. Neither is the mile. About the only measurement that is related to stuff is the nautical mile and lat/lon.

WRONG. (Well, which is it?)
All lat degrees are (were at inception) 60nm apart (By definition). Lon degrees are 60*Cos(lat)nm apart. (The latter fails by a bit as you approach the poles.
Trouble becomes when you try to convert to metres or imperial measurement.
Now give me a reasonable physical definition of a statute mile or metre without resorting to wavelengths od=f something or other

Nope. chose to ignore my speelin missteak

WRONG. (Well, which is it?)
Sorry, badly phrased. It's latitude. It happens to be true for the equator as well because that is also a great circle.

All lat degrees are (were at inception) 60nm apart (By definition).
The other way round actually: "Historically, it was defined as one minute of latitude along any line of longitude."
Trouble becomes when you try to convert to metres or imperial measurement.
"Today the international nautical mile is defined as exactly 1852 metres."

1. Ok. But a great circle over the top is shorter than a great circle around the middle. (By a few yards I suspect)
2. Ok. (ish)
3. That's bollox isn't it. Bloody frogs got their way after all. Now I'm going to have to do stuff with 2.54 and ponce around with a few zeros aren't I. At least we still have the prime meridian, even if it isn't at the place we said it was. How can they possibly screw with that when we damn well invented it. (But at least it isn't in Paris.)

1. Ok. But a great circle over the top is shorter than a great circle around the middle. (By a few yards I suspect)
Yep. I think when latitude and longitude were invented there was probably still something of a battle to persuade people (like the pope) that the earth was round and not flat. It was sometime later we found it wasn't actually quite round.

3. That's bollox isn't it. Bloody frogs got their way after all. Now I'm going to have to do stuff with 2.54 and ponce around with a few zeros aren't I. At least we still have the prime meridian, even if it isn't at the place we said it was. How can they possibly screw with that when we damn well invented it. (But at least it isn't in Paris.)
Take a deep breath, Trev. Maybe a glass or two of wine as well.
Give it a few decades and the Prime meridian will probably go through Beijing anyway :rolleyes:

Back