Anyone else deciding what to do after XP?

No, and there is no point anyway.. If you learn how to use W8, its not a problem.
If you are a desktop user, and you set your settings correctly, you will hardly ever see the metro tile stuff.

There was a hefty update on Tuesday that now adds the mouse friendly Min & Close buttons to the top right of metro screens. So its getting better as time goes on.

But surely they had enough time to GIRFT? Some twit with a tablet thought let's make everyone have to learn a completely new way of working regardless of whether they have a touch screen or not. Ijit.

My sentiments exactly... and apparently nothing to do with Steve Balmer jumping ship (apparently).
WE (desktop users) DON'T WANT LIVE TILES, EVEN HIDDEN ON THE START MENU.

Re: hummy.tv.

Just checking in and saying Hi.

Thanks for setting this up and taking the time to run it.

Ubik

(AKA SmokeMonster).
This shows how rubbish tapatalk is. It appeared when I attempted to Reply to ChrisDaniels post #21.

My laptop is just installing the latest update. One hour in and still going so I am leaving it on overnight.

So, as a desktop user I am wondering how I would use the start menu and hardly ever see metro? Am I supposed to click on desktop icons, of which I have none? Or is the correct way to use Classic Shell? I am mystified but all will hopefully be revealed tomorrow when it has finally installed.

Edit: Left it overnight and it failed. Tried my wife's laptop and it has failed on there too. Do a web search for KB2919355.

I don't know about classic shell, I use start menu 8 which is pretty much a copy of the win7 start menu.
http://www.iobit.com/iobitstartmenu8.php

To hardly ever see metro you must change a few settings:
1) Boot to desktop
2) Program defaults should be set to their desktop program rather than their metro app counterpart. Eg. Photos etc
3) Right click on the recycle bin and turn on the delete notification.
4) Look for settings in your start menu replacement that could land you in the metro screens

After all the above, it should be pretty much the same as xp, win7.

One MS pull their finger out and finally bring back the official desktop start menu, then calm should be restored and the extra start menu replacements can be ditched.

Key shortcuts to bear in mind:
Alt+tab to switch screens.
Mouse top left to switch screens.
Mouse top right to bring up charms menu.

Live tiles are a non issue. You are not forced into using them or even looking at them.

I agree that they have tried to force a lot of tablet touchscreen items into this version of windows and screwed a few things up, but it really does not take long to adjust and they are pushing out updates fairly quickly in order to right the wrongs.

I can't comment on your failed install, my three have sailed through fine. You will be best googling and looking in your event logs to find the root cause..

To hardly ever see metro you must change a few settings:

Already done, long ago. It seems a lot of effort to end back at Windoze 7, though.

My wife's laptop has now accepted the update but mine stubbornly refuses. I am working my way through the 5 stand-alone installers. (The big one has refused several times.) There seem to be multiple issues with installing this update. I have got the four smallest to install so far.

Can't really see any difference on my wife's laptop. Without Classic Menu, it does the same as before.

Edit: KB2919355 just failed again on x64.

Can't see what was wrong with Win 3.11 myself or just stick with Dos 2.11 both stable and did the job

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Can't see what was wrong with Win 3.11 myself or just stick with Dos 2.11 both stable and did the job

What is wrong with sh and all those other Unix shells? Why re-invent the wheel with DOS? (And make the wheel less useful.)

Eh, when I were a lad we couldn't afford operating systems. We just connected the old family netbook to a punched tape reader and fed it machine code...

Paper tape? That were luxury. My first computing device was home-brewed from a Z80 with an array of individual LEDs as a display, and op codes entered by hand on a hex keypad (true).

Paper tape? That were luxury. My first computing device was home-brewed from a Z80 with an array of individual LEDs as a display, and op codes entered by hand on a hex keypad (true).

Z80? Luxury, Lad! It were relays, relays, relays all the way down fer me.

Beads fer me Dad!

Notches on a stick fer me ancestors.

Sticks, sticks! Luxury. Most of us had to make do with UPDs. Oh sorry that's a different topic isn't it.

Unidentified Persons (Deceased)? Luxury! We couldn't afford cadavers! Sometimes we had ter notch our own legs with bare teeth. These youngsters, they don't know how lucky they are, with their cadavers and paper and stuff.:disagree:

Having started this trip down memory lane I might as well report on life after XP.

I'm now running Ubuntu 12.04LTS dual boot with XP on my Laptop and Ubuntu 12.04LTS on my 8Gb SSD Netbook.

I'm using Firefox web browser, Thunderbird email, KMyMoney financial package, LibreOffice for documents, Scribus for simple desktop publishing and Code::Blocks IDE for programming in C++.

I only need to use XP to access M&S Bank which causes Ubuntu/Firefox problems and forces an automatic re-start on both machines. [To be investigated.] I have problems with formatting of statements and website navigation from M&S Bank using XP/IE so believe M&S Bank (really HSBC) are to blame. Other financial institutions are ok. M&S Bank was not interested when I reported the problems.

Overall I am very happy with the move to Ubuntu.

Martin

I am planning on buying a new laptop which will inevitably arrive with Windows 8 / 8.1 on it, however I have downloaded Classic Shell which, I'm told can be configured to give you an 'XP look'

The uk government has done a deal with Microsoft so we are still getting support / patches for a further year.

My plan do nothing till nearer next April!

My worry - what happens to all those British rail electronic notice boards or the tills at Aldi?

I meant we who work in the uk government - plan is bury our heads and XP may be around forever.

Lots of positives to this. No additional costs, no man time needed to upgrade etc.

My views are my own.

Back